Jefferies & Company Interview Questions

Updated 5 Apr 2015

3.1

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Applied Online, persisted in calling HR, received phone interview, nailed phone interview,attended Superday, performed successfully...great overall experience. Very well-run on their end from start to finish. Format for interviews in-person is 2 on 1s and also a 1 on 1...be prepared to react well under pressure. Must be confident and have a good hold on your story in order to succeed.

Interview Questions

• Basic technical questions involving understanding of financial Statements (involving Capex and depreciation and how it flows through each statement), stock pitch, macroeconomic questions, and a specific stock I would short and why. Also very important to understand why you want to work at Jefferies in particular as it is unique in comparison to many of the BB's on the street. Key advice is to mention the relatively flat structure ( Jefferies doesn't harbor arrogance as much as Goldman, JP, Morgan Stanley etc...but don't explicitly take knocks at these competitors, because many of your interviewers probably worked there! Good point to mention is that the company manages under 50 billion in assets and therefore able to operate independently of the government. Unlike many of the 'too-big to fail banks' Jefferies needs to stand on its own two feet.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Interview

I had an assessment center for an Investment Banking summer analyst position.
    It was a bad experience. They kept us waiting for 1 hour and a half before the interviews even started and then they kept us for like another hour or more between interviews and Numerical/verbal tests.
    The HR woman was kinda rude. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend people to work there. There is just no way that they would treat you any better once you get the offer.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company (New York, NY (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through campus job portal. I then heard back within a week and had a 30 minute interview the following week with 2 employees. I heard back that following Monday that I made the Superday which was that Friday. I met with 3 sets of 2 people for 20 minutes each. Heard back that following Monday that I got the job

Interview Questions

• All behavioral and resume questions. Interviewer said he noticed I took a lot of math courses. He asked me how to graph two simple equations. Other than that, those were my questions   Answer Question

Interview

Very disorganized and rude during interview. VP was looking at his phone the whole time. First round was fine but the superday was overall a very bad experience and turned me off to accepting an offer.

Equity Research Interview

Interview

They gave you an article about an industry several days before the interview to look at it. During the interview, I was asked some questions around my resume, previous research experience, and my analysis and conclusion on that article

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2015.

Interview

Interviewed for the Summer Analyst Program in SF. It was a pretty comfortable environment and the interviewer was really nice. First just a couple of behavioral questions: talk about your self, IBD, why tech and tech trends, etc. Then some pretty basic technical questions: Accounting, Valuation methods including LBO, some qualitative questions about the valuation multiples of specific tech sectors, etc.

Interview Questions

• If I were to talk to your previous manager, what would he say about your strengths?   Answer Question

IBDEnergy Group Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in December 2014.

Interview

While going through the resume, the interviewer asked many technical questions, or questions related to the market and behavioral questions as well. For example, how to do DCF, how to calculate free cash flow, tell me a relative project that you have done, and what is the current oil price.

Interview Questions

Application

interviewed at Jefferies & Company in December 2014.

Interview

Interview process was to involve a phone interview followed by a super day in their New York office. Increasing number of analysts in their class in order to expand firm. Strong healthcare investment banking business. Recruiting process was to occur entirely (all interviewing and hiring) in Fall 2014 before on campus recruiting began in January 2015.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2014.

Interview

Apllied thru on-campus recruiting and attended a networking session.
    1st round was over phone with one analysts, 2nd round also over phone with 2 analysts.
    Did not receive Super Day
    Both interviews were mix of behavioral and technical. Technicals in 1st round were straightforward, in 2nd round they got more complicated, asked about nuances.

Interview Questions

• Explain the Mid-Year convention in a DCF. Why do you subtract change in net working capital to get to Free Cash Flow   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting and heard back a few weeks later by email. Heard by email on a Tuesday about the interview that Friday so there wasn't too much time to prepare. The interview process was very basic and very organized. Mostly fit questions were asked. I was not asked any technical questions. Questions relating my schoolwork to the job description.