Jefferies & Company

Updated 17 Jan 2015
Updated 17 Jan 2015

3.2

Equity Research Interview

They gave you an article about an industry several days before the interview to look at it. During the interview, I was asked some questions around my resume, previous research experience, and my analysis and conclusion on that article

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2015.

Interviewed for the Summer Analyst Program in SF. It was a pretty comfortable environment and the interviewer was really nice. First just a couple of behavioral questions: talk about your self, IBD, why tech and tech trends, etc. Then some pretty basic technical questions: Accounting, Valuation methods including LBO, some qualitative questions about the valuation multiples of specific tech sectors, etc.

Interview Questions
    • If I were to talk to your previous manager, what would he say about your strengths?   Answer Question

IBDEnergy Group Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in December 2014.

While going through the resume, the interviewer asked many technical questions, or questions related to the market and behavioral questions as well. For example, how to do DCF, how to calculate free cash flow, tell me a relative project that you have done, and what is the current oil price.

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

interviewed at Jefferies & Company in December 2014.

Interview process was to involve a phone interview followed by a super day in their New York office. Increasing number of analysts in their class in order to expand firm. Strong healthcare investment banking business. Recruiting process was to occur entirely (all interviewing and hiring) in Fall 2014 before on campus recruiting began in January 2015.

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2014.

Apllied thru on-campus recruiting and attended a networking session.
    1st round was over phone with one analysts, 2nd round also over phone with 2 analysts.
    Did not receive Super Day
    Both interviews were mix of behavioral and technical. Technicals in 1st round were straightforward, in 2nd round they got more complicated, asked about nuances.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the Mid-Year convention in a DCF. Why do you subtract change in net working capital to get to Free Cash Flow   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2014.

Applied through campus recruiting and heard back a few weeks later by email. Heard by email on a Tuesday about the interview that Friday so there wasn't too much time to prepare. The interview process was very basic and very organized. Mostly fit questions were asked. I was not asked any technical questions. Questions relating my schoolwork to the job description.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

I had two interviews on sequential days. First interview was with the team I would be working with, the second interview was the managing director of the department. I was offered the job within an hour of returning to my desk at my previous employer.

Interview Questions
    • What was your opinion of the film "Blair Witch Project"   Answer Question
    They made me an offer of one salary, I asked them to up the offer slightly and they agreed.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Referred by an employee. First round phone interview then superday at their New York office. Two rounds of interviews with two Jefferies' employees. Heard back within a few days that I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Basic technical questions asked (accounting, valuation methods). Some questions they asked merely to throw you off (What are your 5 greatest weaknesses, why don't you have a 4.0 GPA) so be prepared for that. Have a few stories where you showed teamwork, leadership, and being able to respond to senior management.   Answer Question

IB Analyst Interview

interviewed with 2 people - a VP and an associate. One about past transactions and the other quantitative questions. They have many transactions and they are proud of their deal flow.

Trader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Initial round of interviews was pleasant and succinct. Met with most members of the team in the course of a 3 hour afternoon session. Second round with management was also brief, but less enjoyable. In hindsight, it gave an excellent indication of the uninspired manner in which the overall company is run.