Jefferies & Company Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 11, 2014
58 interviews

3.2

IB Analyst Interview

interviewed with 2 people - a VP and an associate. One about past transactions and the other quantitative questions. They have many transactions and they are proud of their deal flow.

Investment Banking Summer Associate Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2014.

Business School Career Management. Two rounds of interviews. Tough technicals, solid interpersonal questions. Very collegial work environment. Lean deal teams, so junior bankers get a lot of exposure and tons of work to do.

Interview Questions
    NO negotiations for the summer offer as it is driven by the business school.

Trader Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Initial round of interviews was pleasant and succinct. Met with most members of the team in the course of a 3 hour afternoon session. Second round with management was also brief, but less enjoyable. In hindsight, it gave an excellent indication of the uninspired manner in which the overall company is run.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in December 2013.

They were really nice, they asked very general questions and some technical questions (nothing too hard general stuff about M&A), I came from a non-finance background, they matched nterviewer(s) very carefully (in accordance to your background) - made me feel very comfortable and welcome.

Vice President -- Risk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Phone, in-person interviews (3 rounds). Final round was meeting the seniors. Mediocre interviewers, so no need to worry too much. Most of the interviews were just talk-talk, nothing very serious.

Interview Questions
    • Salary negotiation. They always try to low-ball you. You need to stay firm, and push back!   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Wasn't too hard. There were some technical questions, but they pretty much walked you through it and held your hand. It was more to see how you fit from a technical perspective. I met with all the senior bankers and never had a question that was like "how many marbles can fill an airplane, etc...". I thought it was more them trying to sell me than anything. But all in all, it wasn't too bad and was I left feeling very good about the job after I left. Got a call later that day that the job was mine.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2014.

Initially there was a phone interview where we went over very general questions to affirm that I was a good candidate for the position, and that I was interested in the specific role. Then we planned an in-office interview for the next week. They were friendly and respectful throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question that I received in the interview was them asking for a complete stock pitch   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

First round: numeracy and verbal reasoning tests, the usual SHL stuff. Then two interviews, very conversational, relaxed, touched on a tiny bit of technical stuff with regards to valuation but that was all.

Second round: Three interviews then group exercise and presentation. Two of the three interviews again very conversational, they just want to know why Jefferies, why IBD, why not a bigger firm, which department are you interested in- the usual questions. Then there was the technical interview and you have to make sure you direct it to your strengths-what you know about otherwise they will probe and probe at a particular aspect of valuation. The interviewer got very detailed in his questions.

Interview Questions
    • A curveball was thrown in one of the interviews: what is Jefferies's share price?   View Answer

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Applied through an employee referral. Interview process consisted of two phone screens and a Super Day. 1st round interview was very straightforward and interviewers were nice. Asked standard questions about the main valuation methodologies and walking through DCF. not too hard.

2nd round interviewers asked similar questions but with more of a markets focus. No accounting questions were asked. interviewers lacked energy.

Interview Questions
    • you don't have the same pedigree as the other candidates. why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company.

1st Round - Phone interview. Pitch me a stock, why S&T, basic fit questions.

2nd Round - Flew out to NY office, interviewed with 5 different employees. A couple 2 on 1 interviews and a 1 on 1 interview. Asked questions about resume, some fit questions, some technical questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for Jefferies & Company? Contribute to the Community!