Johns Hopkins University Interview Questions

Updated 6 Apr 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

By phone. Simple questions about your résumé first. Then, some questions on your personal background. Overall, a very relaxed interview. To note, you really have to be prepared to show that you know a lot about the field of the work that you are applying for.

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was quite straight forward and easy. I liked the person who interviewed me because he was very friendly. The interview lasted for less than an hour and it was more of behavioural questions than technical one, though a little bit of technical questions.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

Applied online, completed an interview via Skype by two members of the department, and then was interviewed in person by three members of the department. In-person interview lasted about one hour. Date of application to date of offer was very long - over 2 months.

This job was posted without a salary range, unusual for Hopkins.

Interview Questions

• Don't recall. None of the questions were particularly challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Hopkins does not pay very well for most positions. I did not get what I requested when I started.

Research Technologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in November 2014.

Interview

After I applied for the Research Technologist position with JHU, I was contacted a week or two later by the Director of the laboratory by email in which a phone interview was setup.The actual phone interview didn't feel like an interview at all. The Director gave more detail about what the position was and what it entailed and asked if I was still interested. When I said I was, a formal interview was scheduled. The formal interview was fairly easygoing as it was an an entry-level position I had applied for, and the Director was very kind. Emphasis was on experience with questions like: it says here on your resume that you were involved in this project. Can you tell me more about your role and what you did? In addition, they were also interested in the coursework that I had taken that was relevant to the job. I met with several members of the laboratory and got to ask questions in which they were helpful. The interview was also more listening than talking. They want to inform you of their research goals to see if it's worth pursuing for you. I'd suggest becoming familiar with their research by reading journal articles so you can not only keep up with them, but you can ask relevant and "smart" questions.

Therefore, if you know your resume inside out, you will ace this interview. The position was offered to me by email the same day as the interview. However, I still sent thank you notes by email or LinkedIn with everyone I interviewed with.

The hiring process was far less easy. Many, many, many forms are required for hire, and I cannot tell you how many times I filled out the same form more than twice. Be prepared to do background checks and drug tests and the like. The entire process took a little over a month.

Interview Questions

• On this interview, there were no tricky questions because it was an entry level position, and they were desperate.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Although the interview process was easy, I did not stay long with JHU due to the unfriendliness of the staff. I hope your experience fairs better than mine.

Research Technologist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

Applied through HR. Emailed directly by the PI and asked if I would be available for a phone call. Contacted by PI for phone interview where I was asked about my previous research as an undergraduate student, specifically in regards to the research I might be doing in the lab. At the end of the call, I was invited for in-person interview the next week.

Drove up to Hopkins and interviewed with PI of the lab, then met with lab manager and senior techs, finally closed interview with PI. The entire interview took roughly 2-3 hrs and everyone was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult questions were the probings about my future research as an undergrad, and even those were not too technical or difficult. Most of the interview was just getting to know me and making sure my very recent B.S. in Biology gave me enough knowledge to start working in a lab at an entry level position.   Answer Question

Mangererarfjaowej Interview

Interview

The whole selection exercise will last for 3 hours. Below is some information to help you prepare for it.

Format

A written exercise comprising several tasks: in-tray exercise, English and Chinese paper
    An impromptu presentation
    A short one-to-one interview
    What does Hang Seng Bank look for?

Hang Seng Bank looks for someone with the following competences:

Self-motivated, strong in planning and organising
    Innovative, flexible, resilient and able to think laterally
    Good in communication, interpersonal and analytical skills
    How might you prepare for the interview?

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University (Baltimore, MD (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

Multiple interviews were required beginning with an informal phone interview. After that I had a preliminary in person interview, and then moved on to a final interview where I met with multiple team members and got a real feel for the company.Overall it allowed me to get a good sense of how the office was run and to let me get a good idea of who I would be working with.

Interview Questions

• What makes you interested in working for Johns Hopkins University?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

After the application process, I emailed a couple professors to check for their plans of hiring new graduate students. The recruiting process differs from department to department, but usually professors had the call for their own graduate assistants. The professor who was interested called me to his office (I was a master student then), and asked me about my chemistry background, intention to stay in JHU and then gave me the offer the next day.

Negotiation

No negotiation phase. I accepted my offer immediately

Learning Den Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Interview

You must fill out an application form online and then interview in person, the whole interview was very enjoyable. The interview focus on teaching skill rather than subject knowledge. The interviewer was very nice, polite and walked me through the whole process and kept in touch about my performance these last two years.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Interview

I had two phone interviews. The first was a screener to make sure I actually was who I claimed to be and to make sure I could speak in complete sentences. Before the second, I was asked to prepare a sample lesson plan for a unit and submit it. In the second interview, I was questioned about how I would deliver the lesson, what would happen if things went wrong, and how I would approach certain common or uncommon classroom situations.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about whether or not I would break certain seemingly harmless rules.   1 Answer