Johnson Controls

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details The first interview was a phone interview where general questions were asked including "why did you apply here" and "what is your expectant salary". Very typical and not surprising phone interview. Then came the initial interview at the location of the job. Here I was met with the manager and team leader. They asked what I knew about the company and if I'd given any thought about how I would try to progress should I get hired. No curve balls question wise. Then the final interview with the manager and team leader again where the last few questions were asked and the official offer was made.

Interview Question – Very few technical questions. Mostly they are trying to get someone who's personality will mesh well with the group. The entire line of questioning was pretty standard with the most outlandish being "have you given any thought as to what your first month would be like here? 6 months? year?" Not an impossible questions and plenty of room for a solid answer.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Johnson Controls in June 2014.

Interview Details I was contacted by an HR representative approximately 5 days after I applied for the position through the company website. I was then scheduled for a phone screen. The phone screen lasted for approximately 15 minutes and mainly consisted of behavioral questions as well as my skills and experience relevant to the position.

Early the following week I was contacted by an engineering manager to schedule a phone interview for that same week. The phone interview lasted for approximately half an hour. The manager asked technical and career-oriented questions. What is your experience with functional/regression testing? Give me an example. How would you respond to criticism from a senior engineer?

Interview Question – How would you go about testing a device? Walk me through the process.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details Straight forward and easy, not complicated. Final decision made by the senior management, HR advices only. Customer focus and sales is highly appreciated as a skill.
Recruiters are very professional. They are former headhunters, know their job very well.

Interview Question – Why do you thing Johnson Controls would still exist in 30 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Straight forward, open to discuss on a lot

Integration Engineer Interview

Integration Engineer
Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Johnson Controls in March 2010.

Interview Details I stayed at a hotel overnight. I started the interview at 9am in the morning and had multiple interviews with engineers, managers and directors of the business unit that I was interviewing for. The interviews were either conducted in a conference room or office. During lunch one of the interviewers gave me a tour of the facility as well. At the end of the day, HR representative went over the policies and benefits.

Interview Question – Why do you think you'll be able to do well in this job?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details It took almost 3 months for 2nd interview (F2F) after 1st phone conference interview, however, the interviewer is the same hiring manager and the conversation is almost 70% similarity for both interview session. And yet, never revert / confirm with candidate of the application status even committed to revert after 3 weeks...
Candidate need to have closure follow-up with HR personnel & the hiring manager on next step / status
Inefficiency for recruiting talent candidate, doubt of the interest and seriousness in hiring Senior Management candidate in this case

Talent Management Interview

Talent Management

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details Hiring manager called to interview. I was then asked to visit the company HQ to be interviewed by 4 managers, separately. I emailed them twice to ask about their decision but I never heard from them. I think its quite unprofessional for them to invite me over to their office and then not even bother to notify me of their decision. Shows what kind of a company they are.

Interview Question – Questions were pretty standard   Answer Question

Global Product Management Interview

Global Product Management
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in May 2014.

Interview Details I met with four different people within the company for 30 minutes each after being emailed about a position I applied to two weeks prior. Its was very laid back and they were mostly interested in what examples you can give on things you've done that would help with the position. Many of the typical interview questions were asked and almost no pressure at all. Overall, the process took about four weeks from the time I applied, to being contacted to interview, to actually interviewing.

Interview Question – How many diapers does the City of Milwaukee go through in a year?   Answer Question

GET Interview

GET
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Johnson Controls in November 2013.

Interview Details Was a pool campus-all colleges having IT branch participated.Eligibility : Students of 7th semester Instrumentation having agg of 50% & above.
First round-written test which includes technical+logical, reasoning, quant+english(questions were mainly from previous years GATE papers). Negative marking of 0.5 mark. So make sure you answer only those you are confident of.
Out of around 250 people, 50 cleared the first round. It took nearly 3 hours to declare the results of round 1.
Second round-1:2 interview 1HR and 1Technical person.Tech.Questions were mainly on basic concepts of HVAC systems, ambient temperature, sensors, transducers, operating temperature ranges of few transducers, Bernoulli's theorem, PID controllers,was asked to plot curves for diff control modes, briefing on projects and internships.
HR questions-Introduce yourself, where do you see yourself in next 5 years, be aware about the position you mention, you should be able to explain the role in detail.
Why not higher studies? They dont look for exact answers but how you manage to answer logically and manage the situation as they wont wait for your answers and keep on pouring with question one on another.Make sure you take hold of the situation and preferably use a sheet of paper to explain-this shows your confidence. Dont say "I dont know" for any question coz it leaves a negative impression on them.
My interview lasted for around 30 min.
There was a long wait of 6 hours for the second round.
Out of 50, 15 (consisting of only 4 girls-was glad to be one among them :) )cleared the second round.
Third round-A panel of 8 interviewers. Out of which 2 observe your body language and dont ask any questions.
 In this round, each one of the interviewers(except 2) shoots with questions to examine your capability to handle such a situation. Usual HR ques-introduce yourself, etc, I was asked on internship, not on what I did, rather about the institution in which I underwent internship-it was a DRDO org so was asked about technologies used there.
They give a detailed look into your resume and ask questions from it.
How do you measure distance,height, how does a microwave oven works...
They have your written test answer scripts with them and ask questions relating to them as to why did you mark so and so ans and not other choices, why is your score less in a particular section...The most unexpected question asked was why my score was less in a particular technical section as compared to English sec score, though my academic scores were good. It was evident from their facial expressions that my explanation to this question did not satisfy them. And I could anticipate what my result would be after this :P
My interview lasted for 10-15 min.
Final results were announced in 30 min.
 Written test started at 10 am and final announcement of results at 9:30 pm.
Out of 15, 3 were selected(2 boys and 1 girl). Though I was not one among them, the whole process was a wonderful experience as they gave us important inputs with regards to how to face an interview and made us feel good by saying, only 5% of total appearing for interview process can clear the written test. So coming till the last round made me feel good :)
Total recruits made by johnson controls in India is usually between 10-15. This year the count was 13.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question asked was why my score was less in a particular technical section as compared to English sec score, though my academic scores were good. It was evident from their facial expressions that my explanation to this question did not satisfy them. And I could anticipate what my result would be after this :P   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Sales Engineer
Hartford, CT (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in March 2012.

Interview Details It was for a Sales Engineering position in Conneticut. They flew me out for one day from Philadelphia and took me out to lunch. They brought in r each one of the other sales engineers on the floor in to talk to me.

Interview Question – What Sales Expericence do you have?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details I originally gave my resume to a friend who worked full-time at Johnson Controls. She forwarded my information to someone at the company, and HR called me a month or two after to set up an interview. I spoke with HR briefly about my background, and they set up the on-site interview. The on-site interview lasted a couple hours. I interviewed with an HR representative about my skills and background and then met with the director and VP hiring for the department. I also did a brief skills test (more info. in "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question" section).

I did not receive an offer for the first position for which I interviewed, but because of my other skills and strengths, they passed my information on to another department. I interviewed separately with the other team, and they offered me a long-term internship.

Interview Question – During the interview, I was given a set of data in Excel to "analyze" and had to make a short presentation about my findings. I had about 30 minutes to complete this step. With my experience at the time (university classes), I found this to be quite difficult because of the large amount of data and the freedom to complete the task.   Answer Question

Worked for Johnson Controls? Contribute to the Community!