Johnson Controls

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Melbourne

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details The first interview was a phone interview where general questions were asked including "why did you apply here" and "what is your expectant salary". Very typical and not surprising phone interview. Then came the initial interview at the location of the job. Here I was met with the manager and team leader. They asked what I knew about the company and if I'd given any thought about how I would try to progress should I get hired. No curve balls question wise. Then the final interview with the manager and team leader again where the last few questions were asked and the official offer was made.

Interview Question – Very few technical questions. Mostly they are trying to get someone who's personality will mesh well with the group. The entire line of questioning was pretty standard with the most outlandish being "have you given any thought as to what your first month would be like here? 6 months? year?" Not an impossible questions and plenty of room for a solid answer.   Answer Question

Global Product Management Interview

Global Product Management
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in May 2014.

Interview Details I met with four different people within the company for 30 minutes each after being emailed about a position I applied to two weeks prior. Its was very laid back and they were mostly interested in what examples you can give on things you've done that would help with the position. Many of the typical interview questions were asked and almost no pressure at all. Overall, the process took about four weeks from the time I applied, to being contacted to interview, to actually interviewing.

Interview Question – How many diapers does the City of Milwaukee go through in a year?   Answer Question

GET Interview

GET
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Johnson Controls in November 2013.

Interview Details Was a pool campus-all colleges having IT branch participated.Eligibility : Students of 7th semester Instrumentation having agg of 50% & above.
First round-written test which includes technical+logical, reasoning, quant+english(questions were mainly from previous years GATE papers). Negative marking of 0.5 mark. So make sure you answer only those you are confident of.
Out of around 250 people, 50 cleared the first round. It took nearly 3 hours to declare the results of round 1.
Second round-1:2 interview 1HR and 1Technical person.Tech.Questions were mainly on basic concepts of HVAC systems, ambient temperature, sensors, transducers, operating temperature ranges of few transducers, Bernoulli's theorem, PID controllers,was asked to plot curves for diff control modes, briefing on projects and internships.
HR questions-Introduce yourself, where do you see yourself in next 5 years, be aware about the position you mention, you should be able to explain the role in detail.
Why not higher studies? They dont look for exact answers but how you manage to answer logically and manage the situation as they wont wait for your answers and keep on pouring with question one on another.Make sure you take hold of the situation and preferably use a sheet of paper to explain-this shows your confidence. Dont say "I dont know" for any question coz it leaves a negative impression on them.
My interview lasted for around 30 min.
There was a long wait of 6 hours for the second round.
Out of 50, 15 (consisting of only 4 girls-was glad to be one among them :) )cleared the second round.
Third round-A panel of 8 interviewers. Out of which 2 observe your body language and dont ask any questions.
 In this round, each one of the interviewers(except 2) shoots with questions to examine your capability to handle such a situation. Usual HR ques-introduce yourself, etc, I was asked on internship, not on what I did, rather about the institution in which I underwent internship-it was a DRDO org so was asked about technologies used there.
They give a detailed look into your resume and ask questions from it.
How do you measure distance,height, how does a microwave oven works...
They have your written test answer scripts with them and ask questions relating to them as to why did you mark so and so ans and not other choices, why is your score less in a particular section...The most unexpected question asked was why my score was less in a particular technical section as compared to English sec score, though my academic scores were good. It was evident from their facial expressions that my explanation to this question did not satisfy them. And I could anticipate what my result would be after this :P
My interview lasted for 10-15 min.
Final results were announced in 30 min.
 Written test started at 10 am and final announcement of results at 9:30 pm.
Out of 15, 3 were selected(2 boys and 1 girl). Though I was not one among them, the whole process was a wonderful experience as they gave us important inputs with regards to how to face an interview and made us feel good by saying, only 5% of total appearing for interview process can clear the written test. So coming till the last round made me feel good :)
Total recruits made by johnson controls in India is usually between 10-15. This year the count was 13.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question asked was why my score was less in a particular technical section as compared to English sec score, though my academic scores were good. It was evident from their facial expressions that my explanation to this question did not satisfy them. And I could anticipate what my result would be after this :P   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Sales Engineer
Hartford, CT (US)

I applied through another source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in March 2012.

Interview Details It was for a Sales Engineering position in Conneticut. They flew me out for one day from Philadelphia and took me out to lunch. They brought in r each one of the other sales engineers on the floor in to talk to me.

Interview Question – What Sales Expericence do you have?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Milwaukee, WI (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Johnson Controls.

Interview Details I originally gave my resume to a friend who worked full-time at Johnson Controls. She forwarded my information to someone at the company, and HR called me a month or two after to set up an interview. I spoke with HR briefly about my background, and they set up the on-site interview. The on-site interview lasted a couple hours. I interviewed with an HR representative about my skills and background and then met with the director and VP hiring for the department. I also did a brief skills test (more info. in "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question" section).

I did not receive an offer for the first position for which I interviewed, but because of my other skills and strengths, they passed my information on to another department. I interviewed separately with the other team, and they offered me a long-term internship.

Interview Question – During the interview, I was given a set of data in Excel to "analyze" and had to make a short presentation about my findings. I had about 30 minutes to complete this step. With my experience at the time (university classes), I found this to be quite difficult because of the large amount of data and the freedom to complete the task.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in July 2010.

Interview Details Very Systematic and very Professional and transparent

Interview Question – Very Practical and best suited to industry   Answer Question

Senior Customer Business Manager Interview

Senior Customer Business Manager
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Johnson Controls in February 2012.

Interview Details The interview tooks four months from Feb to June. 1st round interview is by HR; 2nd round interview is by line manager; 3rd round interview is by GM; 4th round interview is by client. many question, need to be well prepared.

Interview Question – do you know cash flow? define cash flow. Define service; why you choose JCI (directly answer for money, they dont want hear about dream, and life work balance)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not negotiable

Senior Test Engineer Interview

Senior Test Engineer
Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Johnson Controls in August 2012.

Interview Details 1. Face to face - 3 Technical Rounds on Day 1 (Full Day Spent)
2. Telephonic - 1 US Round after 1 Week
3. Telephonic - 1 Technical Discussion after 1 week
4. Face to Face - 1 Technical Discussion with Prospective Manager after 2 week (had to wait for 4 hours before interview)
5. HR - Salary Negotiation stretched for 2 weeks.

Overall Process took around 1.5 Months. Very Lengthy Process

Interview Question – Most Questions were easy. Nothing Too Difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Lots of Negotiations, From Starting they were saying we are fortune 100 company and Salary is not a constraint. But I was surprised when HR asked me to Join on Same Package. (How could they even think?). I tried to bargain a lot but they didn't even gave 1% hike. I was getting a raise in My Current Company That Time. So I rejected the offer based on No Hike Offered.
After 1 week HR called again and Asked whether I was given Raise or not. And Told me to match the offer with my current Raise. (Unethical Practice). Practically I was still not given any Hike. But As Work Condition in my Current Company Was getting Bad so I had to accept the offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Pune (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Johnson Controls in June 2014.

Interview Details -> I got a call through "Concord HR Solution" for Android/Java Developer.
-> First round was written test which was supposed to be on Java( As I got a call for Java), But they have only one type of question paper( which was on C) regardless of your profile.
-> Any way That written test consist of 1 programming question
 ( " Write a program to find difference between two large integers which are given in String as
       String a = "9456738572365648932758346782759273576"
       String b = "56736823748726353476582734827356545368752365"
       and you have to find c = a-b )
8 objective question based on pointers
and 4 subjective questions.

Interview Question – They should prepare different question papers for based on Profile(Java or C)   Answer Question

Assembler, Kitter Interview

Assembler, Kitter
Sycamore, IL (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Johnson Controls in May 2012.

Interview Details After submitting my application, a week or two later I was interviewed by one of the superintendents. A couple days after that, I was called and asked if I could start the following Monday. I was getting married soon, and knew I would need to be off of work for a couple weeks, coming shortly. They said they would call me back after I returned from our honeymoon "if they still needed` people." I didn't hold out much hope, yet, on the Friday before I returned home, they called again. "Can you start Monday?" I was shocked. I could not give my current employer 2 weeks notice, but I took it anyway.

Interview Question – This is an assembly line job, and I wasn't asked any unexpected questions. Still, it was a bit hard to answer why I wanted to work for JCI, a company I hadn't heard of until about 2 weeks prior.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, as I did not have previous experience in this field, and was more than happy with what the established contract provided.

Worked for Johnson Controls? Contribute to the Community!