KPMG US

Average Difficulty
38 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at KPMG US in March 2014.

Interview Details The hiring process started with an Initial phone interview which I was asked mostly behavioral questions based on my background. After the phone interview I was scheduled to make an appearance on-site to conduct multiple interviews with a manager, senior manager and a director. Most of the questions asked on-site were also behavioral questions regarding why I wanted to work for KPMG and how my skills aligned with what the job required. Overall I thought the interview process wasn't too difficult. Most of the steps though out this process were very standard in terms of a typical interview at any other company.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were very standard behavioral questions, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Associate, Advisory Interview

Associate, Advisory
San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at KPMG US in March 2013.

Interview Details Positives: KPMG has an array of extremely professional, personable and level-headed people. On top of this, I respect the work of the advisory group I was interviewing with. This was all very refreshing and exciting to be around during the interview process itself. The questions I was asked were all experience-related and personality-based. Overall, I enjoyed the people I met and the experience very much.

Negatives: The one thing I thought was awful was the on-boarding and follow-up process of the interview. After two phone interviews that went well, I had to reach out to the "experienced-hire" recruiter myself to check and see when I would receive flight information and booking details for the in-person interviews. There was so much of a delay that I had to book a flight last-minute on a connecting flight that got in to the city I was interviewing in at such a terrible hour. After the interview, I again had to reach myself to see whether I got the job or not. It turns out, I did which was exciting! However, the unprofessional manner of the on-boarding and follow-up seriously slashed the legitimacy of the company for me. I think this something that is definitely fixable and I hope to see changed if I ever interview with the company again.

Overall, not a bad experience at all. The company is great. I got the offer and I turned it down because I would like to have more experience in my current industry before pursuing an advisory-type role.

Interview Question – Importance of professional licensure in advisory.   Answer Question

Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at KPMG US in November 2011.

Interview Details The recruiters are great at keeping in contact with you throughout the process but it takes a LONG time. Even after a job offer is extended to you make sure all your ducks are in a row before you give notice to your current employer. Things can get pushed out depending on when they need you.

Interview Question – What technical experience do you have that would best serve our clients needs?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation. I tried and got shot down. Ultimately it was more than I was currently making so I accepted. But substantial raises are hard to come by so knowing that now I wish I had tried harder.

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at KPMG US in January 2014.

Interview Details I went in for one interview. It was with two different employees, one was a director and the other was a managing director. There was a group of 4 people from my college who all interviewed the same day. Each interview was about a half hour, back to back. Got an email two weeks later that I unfortunately I would not be receiving an offer.

Interview Question – Asked to talk about a paper I had written in school; hadn't written a paper in over a year so had to wrack my brain.   Answer Question

Houston, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KPMG US in March 2014.

Interview Details Interviewed on campus, was invited to the inside look program in Houston. Flew down the day of and it started with a meet and greet reception the first night. Next day was spent at the office and every candidate had 2 interviews. Went out to lunch afterwards and then to the airport to go home

Interview Question – If I was to talk to your friends and co-workers, what would they say your weaknesses are?   Answer Question

Advisory Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at KPMG US in May 2013.

Interview Details I was recruited out of school. It was the most straight forward process ever. They just ask you to sign up, come ot the office, and interview with two people. The only thing that did not work well was that they have a very extensive background check. They found an offense on my record that was a civil ordanance; this was a month before I started. They made me explain the offence and then was told that I could possibly lose my offer.

Interview Question – Name a time where you had to deal with a teammate that was not doing his job   Answer Question

Washington, DC (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at KPMG US in October 2010.

Interview Details I was hired through campus hiring. This consisted of the following steps
1. Submitting Resume for On Campus Interview
2. First round of interviews On Campus with a partner
3. Invitation for Office interviews.
4. Pre-interview dinner with partners and managers
5. 3-4 Office interviews with Partners and Managers
6. Wait until you hear the word!

Interview Question – The interviews are almost completely behavioral, and very basic business interview questions. They mostly wanted to see if I was generally competent/intelligent, and pleasant to be around.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. All new hires came in on the same salary.

Advisory Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at KPMG US.

Interview Details Interviewed with the Federal Practice. I interviewed with HR staff and then senior management. Everyone was very nice and the interviews were straightforward. I was mostly asked questions about my understanding of the industry. No case studies, etc., they were more interested in my background and my ability to contribute to the work that they were currently doing. Some behavioral questions - greatest strength, how do you handle a difficult client, etc.

Interview Question – None - wasn't a difficult interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Tiny bit of room for negotiation, but don't make ridiculous demands, as you typically need KPMG more than they need you.

Interviewed at KPMG US

Interview Details First contacted by campus recruiter. Following those conversations, a 1 hour phone interview with a Manager. Didn't hear anything for 2 weeks, then was invited to an office interview. The visit lasted for the morning. 3 interview - 2 directors and 1 managing director, each about 1/2 hour, followed by lunch with staff.

Interview Question – How many gallons of gas are in cars in the US?   Answer Question

Advisory Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at KPMG US.

Interview Details There were 2 rounds for hiring process. The 1st round interview was short 30 minute interview. The questions were mostly behavioral and asked questions about my experiences on my resume. Before the interview, there was pre-interview session at a local restaurant/ bar. I really disliked it because it was very unorganized and it was very hard to find your interviewer.

Interview Question – If you are asked to improve efficiency of a department, what steps would take?   Answer Question

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!