Kaplan University

41 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Specialist Interview

Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan University in March 2012.

Interview Details Thorough and detailed with multiple interviews.

Interview Question – Same as most companies.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fine.

Admissions Advisor Interview

Admissions Advisor

Interviewed at Kaplan University

Interview Details Was called to set-up what I believed to be an interview after I submitted my resume' and application online. What it turned out to be was a "group" interview with about 9 other candidate. During our hour long presentation, the director explained that this position though it is titled "Admissions Ad visor" it is not inf act an advisory position, rather it is a sales position. During the presentation we were told that there would b e a short break and if the job wasn't for us or what we had expected then we could leave at that time.

I found this to be an odd procedure. Wouldn't it just be easier to be upfront in the job description rather than reverting to a certain amount of deception to get candidates in the door?

I felt this to be an unfair way of handling a position, though I do give points for creativity!

Adjunct Professor Interview

Adjunct Professor
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan University.

Interview Details I interviewed for the job, although the interview was pretty casual. Once I passed that step, I had to come back in to audition for the job by delivering a short lesson. Attendees completed a written evaluation of my presentation, then the Dean discussed my scores with me. I was evaluated on presentation style, vocal projection, use of the whiteboard, clarity of the lesson itself, and more. Once hired, I had to submit official transcripts and complete a lot of onboarding paperwork and required online training (sexual harassment, security, etc.). The whole process from the call for the interview to being ready to teach my first class was probably close to three weeks.

Interview Question – I was graded down for mentioning that I was tired (I worked a night job at the time, so I had had very little sleep) to a few people before the actual lesson began. Since I had not been aware that I was already being evaluated, I was somewhat taken aback by this.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. For each course, the professor signs a contract for that ten week term. Salary starts out at $1,000 per course.

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kaplan University in July 2010.

Interview Details Phone Interview and then a face to face - easy process

Negotiation Details – Not a lot of room to negociate.

Admissions Advisor II Interview

Admissions Advisor II

I applied online and interviewed at Kaplan University.

Interview Details I applied online and was then contacted by email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was about 30 minutes with standard behavioral questions after which I was invited in for a 1:1 interview. The in person interview was more of an information session about the position and a tour of the learning center. I was asked some questions about my background and specifics about my last position.

Interview Question – Describe a challenging situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question

Admissions Representative Interview

Admissions Representative

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Kaplan University.

Interview Details Name a time when you didn't get along with your employee and how did you handle it?

Training Position Interview

Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Kaplan University.

Interview Details The interview process was very organized and the recruiter had excellent follow up with me leading up to my first face to face interview.

Interview Question – The most challenging questions had to do with actual scenarios that were happening in the company.   Answer Question

Admissions Specialist Interview

Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Kaplan University in November 2009.

Interview Details Kaplan interviews thru Human Resources then allows the candidate to sit with reps and listen to calls. KAPLAN (in South Florida) MOSTLY HIRES JAMAICANS, CARIBBEAN BLACKS AND HISPANICS. Very few white applicants are hired, because ethnic Managers have last approval.

Interview Question – Ethnic Managers will ask embarassing questions about how a white applicant "gets along" with workers of different backrounds. Unethical and quite illegal.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Kaplan starts white applicants with Bachelor Degrees at 29,000. They are willing to hire ethnics that are "working on their degree".

Very Easy Interview

Admissions Representative Interview

Admissions Representative

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Kaplan University.

Interview Details Highly unprofessional hiring process. I was called for an interview and the initial personality questionnaire. However, they never actually followed through and scheduled an interview. When I called to follow up, the receptionist hung up on me.

Interview Question – There were odd questions on the personality assessment regarding political affiliation.   Answer Question

Executive Director Interview

Interviewed at Kaplan University

Interview Details Pretty standard. Initial screening interview with HR, and follow up by phone by member of management team. A series of in-person interviews follow, mostly in Chicago. Kaplan believes that it's best to have many opinions on a hire. There wasn't really any specific order or hierarchy in interviewers; more based on their availability that day.

Interview Question – There were no unusual questions. A few behavioral (STAR) questions by HR, but otherwise pretty open and general. Some interviewers preferred to describe their own role and abilities.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kaplan University

Worked for Kaplan University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kaplan University interview questions and advice. All 41 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Kaplan University employees and interview candidates.