L'Oréal USA

Updated 15 Jan 2015
Updated 15 Jan 2015

3.1

Short Term Planner Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA.

After applying online, I was contacted abs had a 30 minute screening with one of their HR recruiters. After about a week I was notified that they wanted to bring me onsite for an interview; this interview consisted of a presentation (about yourself/a successful project), followed by Q&A, and finally a case study. All in all it took about 2 hours. After a bit of back and forth, I was then contacted by a different director for a brief phone interview. About a month later, I received the offer.

Interview Questions
    • have you ever gone beyond your boundaries to make a suggestion or change   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time you faced challenges with a coworker and how did you deal with that   Answer Question
    Attempted to negotiate, was told the offer had already been adjusted and was the best case for this specific role.

Manager Interview

Very informal, had two conversations and received an offer very quickly.

Process was very disorganized. Was told the process was over when in reality there was much more to be done. Never knew what to expect.

Interview Questions
    • Just a casual conversation. No hard questions, a couple "tell me about a time", but jotting hard. Mostly talking through work history.   Answer Question
    Had to negotiate with someone who didn't have any power. Then she went to superior for approval and superior surprised everyone.

We're open to my requests, superior offered more than I asked for which was nice.

Taste of Finance 2014 Interview

I applied online – interviewed at L'Oréal USA.

Phone screening asking basic interview questions, after you pass that then you are invited to attend a 2-day recruitment event and have to do: group project (business case), presentation (they ask you about the group project process and to present your findings), two-on-one interview (one person is HR and one is from Finance)

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about brand finance? How comfortable are you with Excel? Do you know how to do pivot tables and ...?   Answer Question

Summer Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA.

Submitted an application online which was pretty thorough. Then I had a phone interview with mostly behavioral questions, and a few on how to increase profitability. Nothing too difficult. Over 500 people apply and only 20 made it to the final round, so remember to show how much you want to work for them. The final round of interviews is in their New York office and the whole event is called "A Taste Of L'Oreal." You have to get into teams and work on a case study with four questions and present it to the l'oreal team. While the questions itself weren't that difficult (profit margin, break-even, cost analysis etc. Know your excel!!), there was EXTREME time pressure, and having to work in teams and divide up work evenly is stressful. Don't take over the whole project, make sure to integrate everyone.
    Then, there is a 2 on 1 interview. Again, normal behavioral stuff, a few cost analysis questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you decrease the costs of (random L'Oreal product)?   Answer Question

Taste of Finance 2014 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA.

The process began with an online application, deadline end of October. I received an email probably less than a week later, setting up a phone screen. The phone screen was the next week and just a few days later I was emailed and invited to the the "Taste of L'Oreal" interview event.
    The Taste of Finance interview event was a 1 1/2 day even for a small group of candidates. We were introduced to various employees of the company, in both finance departments and from the HR team. Many had been with the company 10+ years, some were in their MDP program.
    The "interview" part consisted of a group case study, a presentation, and an individual interview.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a situation where you saw room for an improvement and implemented the change; Not necessarily a hard question to answer, but I was asked quite a few follow-ups on it and asked to speak further about certain points I wasn't as prepared for.   Answer Question
    no negotiation for an internship

MBA Summer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at L'Oréal USA in December 2014.

First apply online through L'Oreal's website. Got an email two weeks later requesting a phone screening. I only got a fifteen minute screening interview. They asked me four unrelated questions and then asked if I had any questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to fit something unexpected into your schedule.   Answer Question

Specialist I-Credit Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in December 2014.

The process consisted of two phone interviews and a group panel interview where I had to prepare a visual presentation ahead of time. My first phone interview was cancelled not once, but twice in the same day even though it was scheduled a week ahead time, and both times were selected by the human resources representative. I have never experienced this while interviewing with an company before and I thought that it was rather disrespectful on the part of L'Oréal seeing as they did not appear to value my time by acting as if the cancellations were not much of an issue, which speaks volumes to me about the company culture. From thereon out, the process flowed as expected, but overall, the company was not easy to deal with due to their lack of organization and inability to honor time commitments.

Interview Questions
    • What are three characteristics that you consider essential in a work environment?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

The process begins early in the fall of junior year. Many steps to the process and lots of hoops to jump, as it is very competitive. Initial application consists of cover letter plus a series of essays. The next round is a phone interview. Then Taste of L'Oreal weekend in NYC, which is a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Taste of L'Oreal was definitely the most difficult step in general. They have a day of "case" interview where they observe you very closely in a group. Important to be the right amount of involved and to be a good team player, not overbearing.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Brunswick Terrace, NJ (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at L'Oréal USA.

The interview process was a 10-15 minute presentation on previous achievements, academic and/or work related. Afterward, there was a panel of about 4 members who asked behavioral questions. The questions were not too hard, mainly asking about my previous work experience. One of the panel members were very interested in one of my previous internships and asked very specific details based on the results of my project there. So be sure to know your resume and remember key facts from the past.

Taste of Finance 2014 Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at L'Oréal USA in November 2014.

Applied early October, was notified of my decision on Dec. 1

First Round: Phone screen with a Finance Manager over the phone. 30 minutes of basically behavioral questions, resume walk-through, why L'Oreal, why Corporate Finance over Banking/S&T.

Final Round: Two weeks after the phone screen, was invited to fly out to New York for Taste of L'Oreal. First day was purely networking and getting to know the company. Ate at a very nice restaurant with an open bar. People were extremely friendly, genuine, and outgoing. The next day, you start very early in the morning. After breakfast, there are some speakers who speak about Finance at L'Oreal and the different sectors (Brand Finance, Operations Finance, etc.).

After the speakers, you get assigned into groups and work on a case with your team members. During this case, there are L'Oreal employees staring at you. This was a bit odd/uncomfortable at first, but as you continue to work on the case, you gradually forget about them. They have these people study you to make sure you're a good fit for L'Oreal. They emphasize fit a lot.

After the case, you have interviews. It was a 1 on 2 interview. The two people I interviewed with were a Financial Manager and a HR Representative. Majority of the questions were behavioral, but there were also case questions to see how you think.

Finally, you have to present the case to a panel of L'Oreal employees with your teammates. They emphasize how well you worked with your teammates and who took on leadership in the team.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about trying to cut costs on a L'Oreal Product?   Answer Question
    • A product is about to launch in 1 month after years of work. A marketer comes up to you and says you must delay the launch for a modification in the label. The modification will cost $1,000,000. What do you do?   Answer Question