LexisNexis Legal & Professional Interview Questions

Updated 23 Mar 2015

2.8

Legal Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional (Charlottesville, VA (US)).

Interview

1 short phone interview that lasted about 20 minutes. We set up a second interview about a week later that lasted an hour. There was a three person panel asking the questions. A lot of situational questions. They seemed really interested but then never got back to me. I followed up with an email a week later and an email two weeks later and they still never even let me know that they went in a different direction.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a problem you had with a coworker and how you dealt with that problem.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional (Delhi (India)).

Interview

I was called for three rounds i.e. HR, Technical and with the Hiring Manager. I was expecting a world class experience since Lexis Nexis boasts of being leading global provider of content-enabled workflow solutions blah blah..

I was in for a rude shock. Till my interview with the Hiring Manager, everyone was closely following up with me and updating me about the next round. However, after interview with Hiring Manager, I sent an email for update to the HR. No Response.
    I called them. He told me that I will be informed about the next round by the end of the day.

Several emails/phone calls later, today is the third week and I haven't received a word from them.

I am not ranting about the fact that I was not selected and every organisation has its own prerogative to choose the best candidate but they are also obliged to at least send an email to other candidates who were interviewed that another person has been chosen. This is the least minimum expected from a so-called world organisation. Clearly displays the kind of work culture, ethics, values etc.

Such organisation think that they are the only people who are busy and candidates who come for interviews have no work at all.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were very difficult. The questions pertained to general discussion about my skills and expertise.   1 Answer

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional (Dayton, OH (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

There were separate and series of interviews with the peers first. The following week was an interview with the supervisor where this position will report to. General and behavioral questions. Nothing that you can not answer if you have prepared for these types of questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional.

Interview

The interview process is extremely lengthy. There were a total of 5 interviews, including an in-person presentation interview with a panel of 4-5 people in the city where the job was located. 3 of the telephone interviews felt like the exact same interview with different people so it felt like they really wanted to make sure that the person selected was a good fit, but it suggested that they didn't communicate with each other or care about my time. I was given less than a week notice for the in-person interview, which would have been okay had it been in my home city, but since it was in another state in the middle of the week, it was difficult to get the day off and travel. Since it was so last minute, I was unable to get a surrounding day off so I arrived exhausted from the drive (flights were too pricey with so little notice) and returned about 5 hours before work the following day. While I'm certain that the company requires the extensive number of interviews, little notice for interviews, etc. to get the right person, it makes it more difficult if you're unsuccessful because you've invested a ton of time, energy, and money in the position. After all of that, I received no response from the company about the position and, frankly, after the amount of time and money invested in interviewing, no follow up email either way made it clear that they didn't respect my time or effort. I would not apply again.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were difficult; they were standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Account Executive--Law Schools Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional (Chicago, IL (US)) in August 2014.

Interview

Really drawn out process; phone interview with one potential co-worker, then another potential co-worker; if you survive these two, phone interview with a THIRD potential co-worker and the boss. Following that, 2-4 go through personality test, in-person interview with a team of 5 where they have about 50 pre-selected questions, two presentations, role-play exercise, and 30-60-90 plan. AFTER THAT they pick one person and do a background check and make an offer. Generally a LOT of very structured questions, seemed like someone read about 10 HR books on interviewing and chose to apply them all, so you're asked to jump through a ton of hoops with silly questions like how do you prioritize your day--not a hard question, but really no chance to show your skills there there. They keep you busy, but without any real opportunity to get to know them or ask questions yourself. I went through the whole in-person process, but didn't get an offer, in fact didn't even get a courtesy email informing me that I was rejected--so they want you to check a lot of boxes for them, but they don't really care about communicating with you. Had I gotten the job, pay was 65k base + up to 10k variable (so you're capped at 75k).

Interview Questions

• If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? If you were a brand, what brand would you be? What are three misconceptions about you, and why are they wrong? LOTS of general questions about how you organize your day, how you work with others, sales experience, etc.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional.

Interview

TEK Systems represented me to Lexis Nexis, back in 2007. TEK Systems paid one way to fly me from Naples, Florida to Dayton, Ohio. I was "too laid back" as they put it to TEK Systems.

Interview Questions

• They wanted HTML, CSS and basic Javascript. When they prompted me to question back during interview, I was like, this sounds like a pretty easy job & said something like let me see what you've got going on-screen." They didn't want to do that.   1 Answer

Legal Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional (Dayton, OH (US)) in July 2014.

Interview

It took a month and a half from the initial application via their application system to being contacted by a recruiter. Initially, we set a date for a phone interview, but the recruiter canceled it with less than one hour before the interview VIA EMAIL and not by phone. This caught me off guard as I specifically took a day off of work to accommodate the interview appointment. This is also unacceptable given the short notice period and the lack of courtesy to notify me by phone as I am not always tied to my computer. We made subsequent attempts at re-scheduling the phone interview, but the recruiter flatly stated that she rather attends softball practices than to interview me for 15 minutes over the phone and was unwilling to fit me into her schedule. Because I already took a day off for this, I could not take more days off just to have further cancellations, as such I could only conduct interview at or after 5PM, which in many corporations are still considered within business hours. When I contacted her supervisor to lodge a complaint, I received a nice and professional response from him. Thereafter, she lied and called me during a time she proposed earlier at 3PM, a time which I stated clearly I would not be available due to my current employment. This is clear to me that it was her last attempt to show her "effort" to her supervisor at scheduling my interview. It's a "CYA" move at best. No further contact was made about the position even though I wrote her and tried to make nice by characterizing her call as "mis-communication". I am disappointed that such a reputable company would allow a recruiter to treat a job seeker this way since a lot of job seekers who are employed cannot just drop their work to answer phone calls. The fact that I already used a vacation day to accommodate her but she canceled with less than an hour to the interview time should speak volume about how you will be treated once hired. I went from being very excited to be given a phone interview to highly disappointed and irritated by the irresponsible behavior and lack of courtesy of LexisNexis.

Interview Questions

• To be sure that the talent recruiter will keep the interview time with you.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional (Dayton, OH (US)) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter, and received a request for an interview within a few days. Initially was a telephone interview and then followed up with an in-person interview with the team a few days later. Upon arrival I met with the team in a conference room with a projector screen, then we went over some previous projects I've worked on as well as some source code. Most of the process was going over a little bit of 'code review' as well as a conversation regarding their project and current challenges. At the end of the interview I felt confident that I would be resourceful to the team.

Interview Questions

• I suppose some would find being questioned by a group of people difficult. However I found it exhilarating.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

After a phone screen I finally landed an in-person interview. It was very awkward from the beginning. The hiring manger sent a calendar invite with the location of "My Office." Sure, "My Office" might be recognized by his browser and log in credentials, but nobody else's (remember that this is an IT manager). After emailing for clarification, he didn't reply until five minutes before the scheduled interview. Luckily I had found the headquarters but still didn't know which building, etc. He replied "When you enter the campus there are two buildings on your left. Go to the entrance." This still didn't clarify whether one of the two buildings on the left or the main building. I managed to enter the main building, although it wasn't the one he was trying to tell me, he found me nonetheless. The people were friendly, didn't notice anything cult-like. Pretty standard interview despite being interrupted by someone attempting to deliver an ergonomic chair. I elaborated on my experiences with x, y and z appropriately. The very next day I received a rejection email. Next please.

Interview Questions

• Any experience with functional programming languages?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at LexisNexis Legal & Professional.

Interview

4 telephone interviews (with hiring manager, HR department and current Account Executives) and 1 web-based presentation interview. All were very friendly and helpful. Seemed legitimately concerned about whether this position for a fit for me, as well as me being a fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• Fairly expected questions. Lots of focus on the "independent"/solitary nature of the home-based position.   Answer Question