Life Time Fitness

Updated 6 Dec 2014
Updated 6 Dec 2014

2.4

Corporate Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chanhassen, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chanhassen, MN (US)

Rather laid-back interview process, considering the size of the corporation. Friendly recruiter did a phone interview and asked the expected questions about my experience. Company culture seemed to value fitness and health; the people I saw were attractive and fit. Office seemed like beige cubeland. The only lunch option was the club cafe across the treeless parking lot.

Interview Questions
    • If you were competing in any sort of competition, what sort would you be sure to win?   Answer Question

Lifeguard Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Life Time Fitness.

Had one interview with department head and found out later that week I got the job. Typical interview questions and background check. Started the job within two weeks. Had one internal reference which helps with getting the job placement

Interview Questions
    Didn't have room for negotiation

Group Fitness Instructor Interview

Typical interview, questions about your experience. I talked about my experience and they let me know which fitness classes were available to teach. I interviewed with the Department head and also the General Manager.

Interview Questions
    • You must know the company's mission statement word for word.   Answer Question

Front Desk Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

Website is tricky and it took me a few times before I could successful submit my application. From interview to first day of work was about 8 weeks (which it turns out, is pretty standard across all departments). Most of the training is online, and in-person training was disorganized at best. There are differences between what H/R thinks needs to happen, what I/T thinks needs to happen, what Recruiting thinks needs to happen, and what in-club management thinks needs to happen.

For example, to take on a role such as manager, an employee has to have access to payroll, recruiting, interoffice email, SMARTwebs, and a few other number-crunching programs. It took about 8 weeks to get me to 2/3 of my access, and even then, some of the upper management was upset that I was given access before attending elaborate "Leadership" training or certification courses.

Needless to say, I was a place marker and a temporary fix for a leaky hull. If you decide to work here, understand that the How To Get Things Done rubric is simply for show and everything moves at grass-growing pace (which drives those of us who are productive and like to get things done a little batty). Best of luck to you.

Interview Questions
    • This place needs a strong candidate with a thick skin. How do you plan to handle conflicts?   Answer Question

Lifeguard Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Life Time Fitness.

I had a phone interview which was super duper duper easy and then I had a group interview with two other peeps and our future boss. That was also super duper duper easy peasy lemon squeezy. Just make sure you brag about yourself and all will be good.

Personal Trainer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Life Time Fitness.

Initial interview with PT Manager or Assistant Manager. The second interview is your practical interview. If you can pass the practical interview (train someone and design a program) you'll be good. Understand exercise order and progressions...biggest muscle groups first and end with smaller stability muscles. Learn how to coach squats properly. Don't use therapy/balance exercises for a weight loss client who is otherwise healthy, for example.

Interview Questions
    • business/sales questions and program design/physiology questions   Answer Question
    no negotiation. they tell you what they need and you accept on those terms. no part-time employment. this is an all-in career.

Kids Activities Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Life Time Fitness.

It was pretty easy. They asked how you handle kids and customer service. They called me after submitting my application. I went to an interview the following day to meet with the department head. They then had me meet with the Club Manager.

I didn't negotiate.

Member Services Team Member Interview

I've been on both sides of the interview process, so I know that it can take a long time to get the initial reach out, since they hire on a revolving as-neeeded basis. The clubs I worked at were very picky about the candidates that they contacted, so make sure your application isn't just a churn-and-burn one that you've sent out to a million different places. Research the company, and only apply if you are serious about customer service, not just some summer job that you'll be at for 3 months. Plan to have actual experiences ready for the interview, not just "I would" or "I think" scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for LTF? (Really think about this and answer truthfully!)   Answer Question
    The pay scale has some flexibility, but not much.

Personal Trainer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Life Time Fitness.

The true process of becoming a trainer at LTF is 3-way process. First you must get an interview which, if you have a clean record with a background in fitness, is not all that difficult. You meet with each of the 3 or 4 department heads and discuss your experience, background, etc (it's a piece of cake if you have any sense or present yourself reasonably well).

The next step is going through the week-long certification process wherever it's being held (I must admit that it's sort of nice, they give you a $500 stipend for food and pay for your hotel and gas expenses for the week). You sit with new hires from around the region and learn the products, go through the sales process, learn the commission structure, take group classes together, etc.

The final step in the process is the only difficult part and that is applying this to the gym where you work: Setting up tasting booths, prospecting new leads off the gym, setting up your schedule and book of business. Even though most people wouldn't consider this a formal part of hiring, there is definitely a sink-or-swim period when first hired and a very high turnover rate among new trainers who think they're going to be given a great book of business out of the gate. If you fight like a gazelle, you have a chance to make some real money but there are extremely long hours involved (many of which you're not actually working but sitting in an empty gym throughout your 7 hour shift) and you have to do alot of the work on your own. If I had to guess, I would say 1 or 10 trainers at LTF lasts more than 3 years or steps into a management role. Everyone else comes to their senses and realizes what a waste of time it is to expect things from higher up's who are mainly out for themselves.

Interview Questions
    • How much time are you willing to spend generating your own training leads? Are you willing to sell exactly what you're told when you're told to sell it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It's 100% commission job and you create your own leads completely.

LifeSpa Department Head Interview

They will ask you questions in the format tell me about a time when.... I was asked to memorize the he mission and vision statement. I had 2 phone interviews and in person interview with the general manager.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever have a team member that felt they deserved to be paid more money and how did you handle it?   Answer Question