Macy's

Getting the Interview

2,177 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Miami, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied then after a couple of days got an email to schedule my interview date. The interview was pretty easy. All you have to do is answer about 10 question mostly about customer service. If you've had a retail sales job before do not stress this interview at all because you'll be able to answer these question easily.

Interview Question – When they asked my about experiences i've had before when this and this occasion happened. I had to make up a story.   Answer Question

Merchandizer Interview

Newport News, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in September 2012.

Interview Details When I went for my interview, I spoke with a sales manager for 15 minutes and was hired on the spot. They were on top of everything and I started my position in a timely manner.

Interview Question – I didn't have any questions like this asked.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Some managers will try to intimidate you since some they have a very diverse work force under them. So, don't be nervous and relax and show them that you are not a push over but willing to take in information to work there.

Interview Question – Explain to me how you would go about selling a Macy's Credit Card.   Answer Question

Duluth, MN (US)

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details The hiring process was fast, easy and kinda lay back. The manager treated me with transparency and professionalism.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Inventory Planner Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Standard practices, basic questions

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness   View Answer

Credit Granting Representative Interview

Clearwater, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

Interview Details Applied online. Received an email for an invitation to interview. Selected my own interview time from their list of time slots. Went to the Macy's Credit & Customer Service office at the scheduled time.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details I did the phone interview in November and received a call to fly to Miami for an in person interview. It was a two day process. The first day is mainly seminars and orientation about the company. The secondary is two interviews, an individual presentation, and then a team assignment.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to lead a team.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Online application and then your paperwork is sent through the selection process to a place in Florida. It takes about two weeks before they will send a email to request for you to sign up for an interview slot through an email link. If the email link shows no slots available then you must check that link everyday until one slot becomes available. The system is in real time so if someone cancels on that day you could take their spot.

There are 9 questions based on M.A.G.I.C. an acronym that reflects the selling behaviors you must have to sale at Macy's.
M - Meet and make a Connection: be willing to tell about experiences that you have been able to approach random/unknown people and create a connection with them through asking questions and then be able to create a sale or persuade them to do what you wanted them to do.
A - Ask questions and listen: be willing to demonstrate how you would ask OPEN ENDED questions throughout your selling journey to get the customer to open up and how you would be able to listen to what the customer is really saying in order to capture a sale. For example if a customer wanted pants you would ask about brand, color, style, length, and other details.
G - Give options and advice: be able to tell how your would go above and beyond to give more options to the customers. For example if the customer bought pants you would suggest a top or shoes.
I - Inspire to buy more: be able to tell about experiences that connect to how you could get the customers to come back by getting more info or building a relationship by taking the persons info and calling them on the next sale. And also suggesting other sales within the store.
C - Celebrate the purchase: be able to tell how you would get this person to feel good about the purchase they just made. For example by telling the customers "I think you just found the perfect item for your event come back and tell me how it went."

For each question answer with the structure of the situation, what you did, and how well it turned out.

Interview Question – The last two question vary for every person. Whatever the question answer in the middle never answer with a complete loyalty to one side. For example if they ask do you like detailed work or work that is broad... you give reasons for why both would be good. If they ask do you like to be given direction or have your own control...you answer with reasons why both would be good.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in January 2010.

Interview Details Behavioral Based Questions and tell me about yourself

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time.....followed by what did you learn and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Retail Interview

Tacoma, WA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details Dress nice, they hire by looks

Interview Question – They did not ask me anything other than availability   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's interview questions and advice. All 2,177 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.