Macy's

Average Difficulty
793 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Syracuse, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details I had a one on one interview with a store manager in a small room in the Human Resources department of the store. She had a paper with the questions she was going to ask and boxes where she would write in my answers. The first question she asked was why I wanted to work for Macy's. As I started to answer, her phone went off. She answered it and I guess it was an employee that needed help. She said she had to go deal with the problem, as all the other managers were in a meeting or something. She was gone for at least ten minutes! After that I pretty much knew that I did not want to work there. Something to keep in mind is that the interview is not only for the employer to see if you would be a good fit for their company, but also for you to decide if it's a company you truly want to commit your time to. Once she came back, the whole process felt rushed. The questions were very easy and basic: "How would you encourage customers to sign up for a Macy's card? Explain your role in a past team project." As we were finishing up the interview, her phone rang again. We ended with a quick, "Nice to meet you." as she rushed off again. One of the requirements for this position is that you must have total open availability Friday-Sunday. I explained to her that that just wasn't possible for me because I'm a college student that will have many other responsibilities, like homework and volunteer work, once the semester starts back up. I want to say that's why I wasn't offered a position, but it could have also been that she didn't think I was the right candidate. I would have to say this was the worst interview I've been on. Not saying it was totally horrific, but it was definitely the least professional one I've been on.

Interview Question – She asked me something like, "Tell me about a time from one of my previous jobs when there was a service or product that a customer wanted that we didn't have anymore and how I substituted it with something else."   View Answer

Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details You submit an application online and they have you fill out a 100 question questionare that asks you about work ethic, and how you respond in certain situations. They say there are no right or wrong answers on the test. Allow yourself some time to take the quiz, it takes about a half hour. I got a call back within a week of taking the online questionaire.

Interview Question – Why Macy's as opposed to another large department store. The questions were very straight forward. They ask you about your prevous work experience, how you get along with others, and ask you to pretend to "sell" an item to them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, they offer you the job on the spot and kind of force it upon you.

New Castle, DE (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online then did personality test. I later got an email to schedule an interview which I did. I went, the interviewer was courteus and informative. I the interview went very well until the hours I need to work came up. I said I was fine but she did not believe me.

Interview Question – I f I will work 3 weekends a week full shift and more during the holidays   Answer Question

Sales Associate

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details apply online. stop in store or call for follow up. If you are looking for a beauty department role wear make up that is better than boring but, nothing extreme.

Interview Question – why macy's?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Macy's in July 2014.

Interview Details They ask me typical interview questions. Why Macy's? How are you going to sell a pair of jeans? Do you have computer skills? When can I start. The interview was 45 minutes and they tell me the results immidietly

Interview Question – How will you handle with rude customer   Answer Question

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details Very long and tiring but very hands off
Company relies on computer versus human to human reaction. It could be more better to get the interaction of supervisors and trainees but that is not the case.
Macy could do better with creating excitement moving forward.

Very Easy Interview

Wayne, NJ (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details I applied online. The process took a few days and then I got an email to schedule an interview. It was the easiest interview i ever got and I got hired on the spot.

Interview Question – No difficult question. It was all easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. It was my first real job that wasn't a temp job. The manager basically guided me through the interview and was really nice. She even gave me hints.

Cary, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and received an email invitation to schedule my interview online, via Macy's Scheduling Center. I scheduled an interview for the following week. The person that interviewed me read the questions from a list that she had. They do not deviate from the questionnaire, they will not try to get to know your work style on a personal level...every question is straight from the list. I was contacted via email the next day, informing me that I was not a candidate for the position.

Interview Question – All questions were customer service related...the "what would you do if" type of questions, and the "tell me a time when you experienced such and such with a customer." Typical customer advice questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Applied online and got an email to schedule my interview. The interviewer was nice and started out by telling me about herself and the company. It seemed that she really liked me and said that she was excited for me to work in her department, however, the email I received stated that I did not get the job.

Interview Question – Why Macy's?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Really not a hard interview very basic questions. It's a 1on 1 interview and the only thing that I didn't like about it was if I didn't acpect the commission job I wouldn't get the job.

Interview Question – Real easy questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!