Makerbot

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Project Manager Interview

Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Makerbot in January 2014.

Interview Details Met w/ a few members of management in various departments. Discussed future company plans and how I envision myself contributing. Very friendly employees, young atmosphere.

Interview Question – What's one thing you hate doing but you're really good at?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Salary was too low.

Retail Trainer Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview Details Makerbot gave me quite the run around during the interview process. First they offered me a phone interview in which they asked about my work experience and how much knowledge I had about the 3D printing industry. The phone interview took less than 30 minutes and was fairly painless.

They invited me to come into their office to speak with a few members of the training team. The in-person interview was almost all questions about how much I knew about 3D printing. They pretty much quizzed me.

Once that was over I got an e-mail that same day asking me to do a 15 minute presentation for the team on the basics of 3D printing. I did A LOT of research on Makerbot products, Thingiverse, 3D rendering software, etc. I presented to a room of about 10-15 people and had to answer some of their questions afterwards. An HR person walked me out of the room she told me I did a great job and that she was impressed with my knowledge in 3D printing and how well I presented. At that point I thought I had the job for sure. I was asked to wait in their lobby while HR and the team deliberated. They then asked if I could come back to interview 1:1 with their director of HR because she was on lunch. At that point I was a little annoyed, I didn't want to commute back to Makerbot HQ for a 3rd time. I asked if I could just wait for her to come back. They allowed it. An hour later I met with the HR director. She asked me very basic interview questions like "What are your strengths?".

After I had met with her, a member of the training team took me aside and said the company was making some changes internally and that the Retail Trainer job might not be a thing after the changes. She said they'd keep in touch and let me know if they still want to keep the Retail Trainer role--meaning...they'll let me know if the job will still exist for me...it's been over 3 months since then and I haven't heard anything since. Upon looking at their Careers page I see that the position is no longer there. So either they kept the role but hired someone else or the role was phased out completely. Either way interviewing with them was a total waste of time.

Interview Question – Tell me about your training method. How would you teach a class on 3D printing?   Answer Question

Vice President of Sales Interview

Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Makerbot in June 2013.

Interview Details Was a very disjointed process. Never felt very warm - and it was very much a sausage factory, i.e. - they never got to know you. You were led from room to room meeting people. This was pre-acquisition so perhaps they were in between things - but it just felt like a horrible process and not a place I'd want to work at. Their CEO literally dropped in late during my presentation and was completely unfriendly. Not someone I got a good vibe from.

Interview Question – Very specific questions regarding selling hardware and the challenges that entails. So this may not be difficult for folks from that background, but for me, was difficult.   Answer Question

Online Marketing Manager Interview

Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Makerbot in November 2013.

Interview Details I applied via indeed and was contacted by hr fairly quickly. We scheduled an on-site interview. I was to meet with the vp of sales. When I arrived, I had to wait a bit, which allowed me to observe the office. It was a very open space. People were having meetings on the sofas out in the open. There were toys displayed on the shelf behind the receptionist, which gave it a fun vibe I suppose. The interview took place on those sofas as well, which were very close to the employees there, and that made me feel uncomfortable. The interview was very short. He mostly focused on who I thought their target audience were, and if I had a certain budget, what would I do with it. The whole thing just felt very rushed.

Interview Question – How would you get me 10k names?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

QA Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview Details Applied online and got a phone call interview. Was expecting a technical phone interview, but was asked mostly availability and 3D printing expertise. Invited for an in-person interview. Talked to 5 engineers. Asked to describe previous projects. The whole process took about 2 weeks. Was offered another in-person interview with HR, but after a few days got offer letter instead.

Interview Question – The only programming question that was asked was, write a function to generate the nth prime.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got a better offer elsewhere

Design Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview Details I had a phone interview regarding a potential design position. The questions were vague and more on how I felt about management more so than specific questions on experience.

Interview Question – Have I ever managed someone before. Would I be comfortable with acting as a mentor.   View Answer

HQ Office Position Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview Details Came in for a job fair this past spring 2013. I met with my prospective manager for the position. The interview was brief but pleasant. I got the feeling that the manager was really able and really wanted to learn a lot about me in the short amount of time.

About a week later, I was called in for another interview with an executive of the company and it was a bit intimidating but that's to be expected. I met two other people after meeting the executive and all of the interviews were pleasant.

The interview process was quite effective.

Interview Question – What do you hate doing the most?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my salary just a little.

Administrative Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview Details I interviewed during a job fair. It was very busy but well organized. I met with a number of people and was offered the job right away.

Interview Question – What are 3 weaknesses you have?   Answer Question

Productor Interview

Productor
Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Makerbot in February 2013.

Interview Details I responded to an advertisement placed on craiglist. I went to the interview and found that it consisted of a preliminary rote mechanical task (seemingly designed to assess an individual's ability to follow simple directions) and then a normal interview which was, and still is, however, conducted in a "cattle-call" manner in the sight, though not the hearing, of all the other applicants themselves. All of this takes place in the middle of the factory floor while production is going on.

Interview Question – The last question was, "What is your definition of teamwork?" My answer was about leadership specifically and not about teamwork at all -- and so I figured that I had then and there "sunk" the interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Material Scientist Interview

Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Makerbot in April 2013.

Interview Details After submitting a resume, was encouraged to attend an Open House interview. It was a very quick process and felt like speed dating - maybe 10 minutes of talking to a manager who hadn't even read my resume.

Interview Question – Very little technical questions/discussion - the interviewer was more interested in gauging my interest in having to coordinate between different sites and engineering teams.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Makerbot interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Makerbot employees and interview candidates.