Marsh

Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Representative Interview

Client Representative
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Marsh in October 2011.

Interview Details I got a phone interveiw first. Basically introduce myself, what my job responsibilities are, salary expectations, those normal easy questions. The HR is very nice, and the phone interview lasted for around 7-8 minutes. Immediately after phone intervew, she sent me an email for an on site. On the day of interview, the HR had me to sit down with two client executive/managers separately. She said they would be my managers in the future if i were offered the job. The female manager is british i think and very nice talking. And male manager is hard to deal with. He sounds like he expects a lot from his surbodinates. He kinda of boasts about him doing great presentations in front of clients like attorney firms, and getting the deal done. I think I was nervous when talking to him, cuz i can feel that he doesn't think i'm a good fit for the position since very begining when he said hello to me. ( I'm Asian.)

The interview lasts for an hour. No difficult questions. Basically talk about what I am doing at work now, how i prioritize things, and how to keep good relations with clients.

At the end i walked out, I know i can't get this offer...Cuz i'm not a aggressive person, not good at presentation those stuff.

Interview Question – no particular difficult questions, i dont remember   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Marsh in June 2012.

Interview Details The manager was really nice and easy to talk to. it ended up being part time, and i needed full time

Interview Question – is there anything you would change about yourself   Answer Question

Client Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Marsh in July 2011.

Interview Details Internal application. Recommended by my line manager.

Two part interview - panel at first and then a one to one. Skill tests carried out in the panel interview.

Technical Questions relating to unique covers available to clients - comment was made before questions where put to me that the correct answer was not necessarily what was being sought as the covers being queried where specialised - interiewers wanted to see how I would approach a query.

I made it through the panel interview and was selected for 2nd round with one to one interview with section head. I felt this aspect of the interview process was repetitive. With a lot of the information previously advised during the general application and the panel interview being rehashed.

In the one to one interview a query was raised as to why I wanted to leave the section I was in? Did I have issues with my colleagues in this section (naming some) - I felt that this question was unfair as my line manager had recommended me for consideration and an outsider of the firm would not have been in such a position.

I found the internal interview process to be more difficult then a general interview - as I had to remind myself that I had to display my skills as if the interviewing team did not have experience of working with me.

Interview Question – Why I wanted to leave the section I was in? Did I have issues with my colleagues in this section (naming some)   View Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Washington, DC (US)

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Marsh in May 2012.

Interview Details What a waste and lack of respect of my time and energy. I was contacted by Marsh and did a phone screen in March. I was told the interviewer was very busy and that they wouldn't have time to interview till May. In early May, interviews were set up, canceled and re-scheduled by Marsh twice - saying the interviewer was busy. Finally booked an interview and the morning of, they made contact 30 minutes before the interview asking to push it from 10a-11a. I agreed and was waiting in the lobby at 11am. Interviewer did not come to collect me till 11:25 and I was done and out of the building by 11:45. Interviewer had little interest in getting to know me and when I asked if they were considering many other candidates, I found out the position was being filled internally. If that was the case, then why waste my time and effort? So completely disrespectful.

Interview Question – There were really no questions asked, Interviewer just skimmed my resume and repeated my qualifications and skills back to me.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marsh in January 2012.

Interview Details Interview

Interview Question – What will you do in a situation when facing non believers user in order to convince them ?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Workplace unexpected

PM Interview

New York, NY (US)

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marsh in December 2011.

Interview Details Good, thoughtful questions.

Interview Questions

Product Development Intern Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marsh in October 2011.

Interview Details It was a basic behavioral interview. They asked about my past work experiences and leadership roles in order to get a general idea of how I would perform in the position assigned. They also wanted to see how I handled different situations. No different than any other behavioral interview. I heard back the next day and received an offer. The internship was a less formal internship program as I was the only intern working for my boss, so there was more personal attention.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you failed at achieving your task.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Intern - Excess Casualty Interview

New York, NY (US)

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marsh in January 2011.

Interview Details Very behavioral. Walk me through your resume - What do you know about insurance?

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – None

Proposal/Strategy Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Marsh in December 2010.

Interview Details The interviews themselves were pretty standard, with the standard questions, beginning with a screening phone interview with HR recruiter (about 30 min), followed 3 weeks later by a 1:1 interiew (1.5 hours) with what would have been the immediate supervisor. This was followed a week later by a morning of 3 separate interviews with higher ups, each lasting about 45 min. That morning they were juggling the 2-3 final job candidates. I followed up all my face to face interviews with handwritten thank you notes.

The 2nd interview was followed by ...... nothing. 6 weeks of nothing. Not a peep. At week 4, I "touched base" with my 1:1 interviewer and was told they hadn't even begun to discuss the finalists. At week 6, I contacted the HR recruiter (again to "touch base"). She called back 2 days later and said they were 'close to a decision". That afternoon I received the no thanks email from the 1:1 interviewer -- "we've decided to go with another candidate."

The whole process took nearly 3 months -- from the initial phone interview to the kiss-off letter . I really wonder, after so much time had passed between interview and decision, whether the interviewers actually remembered anything about the candidates --no one took notes while I was there.

One of the interesting things is that the position had been open since early Sept 2010 and they desparately wanted to bring someone in quickly to relieve the massive workload. At the same time the 1:1 interviewer said he was "extremely picky" about who he interviewed and hired.

My overall impression is that Marsh culture expects its employees to forget having a personal life and concentrate solely on working as many hours as possible. I was told that a normal, average week was 50-55 hours, 60++ when things were busy. Most of the office was a cube farm, with only very senior people having offices, and those were small inside offices (no windows). People seemed nice, but on the whole it didn't seem a congenial place. No one asked for salary expectations throughout the process, and a salary range was never mentioned.

Interview Question – Tell me how you would deal/ have dealt with a major disagreement with a higher up in which you were right, but he/she outranked you and was insisting on the wrong course of action.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Marsh in January 2010.

Interview Details Interviewed for position went well, even received a call from HR afterwards to talk compensation, if other offers were on the table from other employers, and was told a decision would be soon. Never heard from them again, so I followed up to be told they ultimately went with an internal candidate. Thanks for letting me know!

Interview Question – salary expectations   Answer Question