Marshalls

26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Marshalls

Interview Details One on one interview with assistant manager

Interview Question – Describe a stressful time at a previous job and what you did to overcome it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Starting salary at minimum wage and a possible increase after a year of service

Loveland, CO (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marshalls in June 2011.

Interview Details I was called and brought in for an interview at the store after submitting a paper application. I dressed professionally. The hiring manager was very welcoming and made the interview less than stressful, and this is coming from someone who gets very nervous about interviews and meetings with supervisors.

Interview Question – Difficulties regarding previous employment/ if I had been let go from a previous position. I had been let go from two positions but this allowed me to posit my possible concerns regarding conflicting duties and priorities from management. It was not an easy question since it highlighted something I was not proud of, but it made the experience I had at Marshalls all the more easier.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward and easy

Tracy, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marshalls in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and received a call 2 weeks later for a group interview. There were 10 people including myself being interviewed. Both people conducting the interviews made me fell welcome and were very nice and professional. I was called about 45 minutes after the interview and they asked for my availability and if I had any references. 15 minutes after that I got another call and was offered the position.

Interview Question – They have a credit card that they want the customers to sign up for, so one of the questions was to attempt to sell the card to the manager as if she was a customer. Total curveball but be creative and you will be fine! They are VERY big on customer service!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No price negotiation.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Marshalls.

Interview Details Called for an interview a week later, interview was informal, just waiting for a callback.

Interview Question – If I called your references, what would they tell me about you.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Marshalls.

Interview Details They ask you basic questions. Why do you want to work there? Do you see yourself staying? Nothing difficult whatsoever.

Negotiation Details – They offered me the job the next day

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marshalls in September 2012.

Interview Details I was called after about two weeks for an interview. The hiring manager was personable and understanding. She didn't just read the questions off of paper, but the interview flowed more like a conversation. She also described several positions she could see me filling.

I snagged the interview via Snagajob, so she just asked that I fill out a paper application so I could be given a background check. From the way she talked it seemed more than probable that I'd get the job, but I cut the process short for personal reasons.

Interview Question – I think it was a question about hobbies or experience. I don't really remember.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Marshalls in March 2009.

Interview Details One interview: met with two managers. They were both relaxed and professional and asked basic questions. They explained they were eager to give young people their first jobs. Elaborated on expectations and suggestions for the job and were gracious in offering training.

Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marshalls in January 2013.

Interview Details I received a call for an interview a week ahead of time. I went to the interview and was asked basic questions, i.e. "Tell me a time that..." I was told that I would receive a call if I had been hired a week and a half later.

Interview Question – None of the questions were particularly unique or difficult. It's always a good idea to have some scenarios were you've helped someone in a previous job, etc. in mind before an interview.   View Answer

Nashua, NH (US)

I applied in-person and interviewed at Marshalls.

Interview Details Application, one on one interview with the Operations Manager and I received a call within a couple of days. Very easy and felt very comfortable.

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Sales Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marshalls in April 2010.

Interview Details Easy, all they are looking for is someone with an open availability. Dont bother if you have another job.

Interview Question – It was to define what my definition of sense of urgency is.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Them: You want a job
Me: Yup!

Interviews for Top Jobs at Marshalls

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marshalls Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by Marshalls employees and interview candidates.