Marvell Technology

Relevance Date Difficulty

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

ASIC Design Engineer
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Marvell Technology in March 2014.

Interview Details one phone interview, asked about projects on the resume. Then asked about MESI protocol. Then Onsite interview. There are 5 people. First one asked basic CPU questions, such as 5 stage pipelined CPU. Second one asked me about reorder buffer in the out of order processor and load store queue. Third one asked about waveform questions. The last two asked me about some verilog questions.

Interview Question – reorder buffer store pointer.   Answer Question

Senior ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Senior ASIC Design Engineer
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marvell Technology in March 2013.

Interview Details The interview process is standard, first , there is a telephonic screen which is totally technical, and lasts about an hour.
Then they call you for an onsite interview , which lasts about 5 hours, with 5 one-on-one interviews with the whole team.
The interview itself is pretty standard.
But, what comes after that is an utter non-professionalism. 2 days after the interview, I get a call from the HR that I have been selected for this position, and we can start the background check and have the salary negotiations.
I did that, and the background check results also came back after a week, which was clean.
Then, I get a call from HR that the approval now needs to be taken from VP of the group, the hiring manager has given the approval already.
So, I wait 1 week and no response. So , I call the HR and ask her what is the delay about. She says, VP is busy in meetings, and will take 2-3 more days. I wait, and then comes and reply that the approval of VP is done and approved.
The next thing now is that the approval needs to come from CEO. I was totally shocked at this - I am interviewing for a senior engineer position, and not a director position, why would the CEO be involved in this selection process.
She answered - its a standard procedure for all employee selection at Marvell. The approval for all should come from CEO, and since he is out of the country for a couple of weeks on business, that will take time.
So, I wait, and after 2 weeks, I call again, and comes a reply that he is busy, and cannot be done this week.
I was totally angry at this unprofessional behavior now. I was made to wait for just an approval, and that too, I need to call everytime to ask for an update.
So, after a week, I call again, and she says, the CEO has not approved. I asked why is that - the whole interviewing team has given me full marks for my technical skills, the hiring manager was totally impressed by my skills, the VP approved, and why not CEO?
The answer was totally unacceptable - we do not know why he has declined, and we cannot ask why.

I was so angry at this. I have vowed never to work for Marvell in my life, even of they offer me 10 times the salary. I wasted a lot of my time in the procedure, which was thoroughly unprofessional.

Interview Question – The interview was straight forward and aveage   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Marvell Technology in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied online for several positions in December 2013 and was emailed by the hiring manager after ~ 6 weeks about a Sr. Product Manager position. After a 30 minute amicable phone interview which I passed, the on-site interview at Marvell HQ occurred 1 week later. The on-site interviews were fairly intense: I interviewed with the hiring manager (again) + 4 others for 45 minutes each. The next day, the hiring manager confirmed I had made a good impression but Marvell was in the early stages of their search and need to conduct diligence on several more candidates. This diligence was basically a delay of 5 weeks as they undoubtedly conducted a bunch more interviews with others until I heard back from them and then a second onsite interview for 2 more hours and 3 more people occurred. Each multiple week delay was basically using me as a baseline to see if anyone they liked better came along.

A week after the second on site interview, Marvell insinuated I would be offered the job once I completed Marvell's on-line application, provided pay information form my current employer (even though they had this info. verbally from day #1) and a thorough background & legal/education check of me was processed. But a job was not offered. After 3 more weeks of delays, HR only after a request by me stated 'The team has decided to move forward with another candidate. We will reach out if anything changes.'. That's it- No rationale was given for the decision. Based on Glassdoor reviews by current/former Marvell employees I firmly believe the dismissal of me was due to Marvell not wanting to pay even what I was making at my current employer. The entire process was too lengthy, required multiple days off on my part to travel to them and they offered little feedback in return. To top it all off, Marvell has not yet repaid me the ~$200 reimbursement I submitted 4+ weeks ago nor provided from the background check agency a copy of the legal documentation and review they supported conducted on me - they have my personal information but have not yet provided me a copy of my own information... Marvell's reputation of being cheap on pay and bennies is warranted fully.

Interview Question – A Marketing Director asked me several detailed technical questions about Marvell's PCI-Express based Controllers even though my background was clear that I didn't have heavy depth in this area. After a set of satisfactory answers to his own admission he continued to probe deeper until I guess he received an answer not to his liking. IMO a waste of time to probe this deep on an area the candidate doesn't yet own.   Answer Question

Systems Design Engineer Interview

Systems Design Engineer
San Jose, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Marvell Technology in February 2014.

Interview Details Submit resume on Linkedin and received phone interview about 10 days later.

Interview Question – Basic questions about 5-stage Pipeline, Cache Coherence, Out-of-Order processor   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Product Marketing Manager
Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marvell Technology in January 2014.

Interview Details I was offered 2 phone interview. And then have an onsite interview. They pay for the flight and hotel. Their interviews are quite difficult. In the 1st phone, they asked to describe MESI's all transition on phone. And most question is on CPU design. They asked a lot of implementation details.

Interview Question – They asked a lot questions on pipeline design. Like how to optimize the overall ipc regarding branch? Is it possible to get branch resolved in decode stage?   Answer Question

North America Sales Interview

North America Sales
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marvell Technology in October 2012.

Interview Details I knew a manager who thought I fit perfectly into a current need, so he asked if I would interview. Knowing someone here is the best way to get hired, as HR is a joke when it comes to reviewing candidates and hiring off the open job reqs. Go to an event like CES, chat up someone in sales and really get to know them. Let them know you're looking for an opportunity and you're very interested in Marvell.

My interview was pretty grilling, but I spent a week preparing for it. I knew the corporate organization, who the managers and players were, the products and markets, but above all I told a complete story about myself that they could relate to. Everyone here is hard working and ambitious but they value ethics and teamwork above all else. No one here would ever consider hurting someone else or the company for personal gain, just keep that in mind.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was "why should we hire you if you haven't worked in technology before?" which was expected and fair.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – At the time I was a starving grad student, so though I was ready to negotiate I accepted based on the opportunity to grow in an ideal environment. Marvell doesn't pay employees very well, so I knew if I demanded a high number they'd find someone else.

Very Easy Interview

Associate Engineer Interview

Associate Engineer
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Marvell Technology.

Interview Details I got this job 10 years ago. It was around the dot com bubble. Interview was simple. Different people covered different topics from CMOS design, combinational logic, Verilog, board design, instruments, puzzles, etc. But the process still seemed ad- hoc at that time since it was a small company. The questions were not complicated. I have had other harder interviews.

Interview Question – I found it very simple. So hard to tell. Nothing a college grad would not know. But one question was what happens to the ground when a lot of lines suddenly draw current.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations. I was told the company does not negotiate. Take it or leave it. I needed it. So I took it.

Applications Engineer Interview

Applications Engineer
San Jose, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Marvell Technology in August 2012.

Interview Details 1. phone interview
2. on site interview 4-5 hours

Interview Question – basic questions about the terms mentioned in job description   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

ASIC Verification Engineer Interview

ASIC Verification Engineer
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marvell Technology in December 2013.

Interview Details The entire process took about a month. Two phone interviews followed by an onsite interview. Environment was very friendly. Basics of Comp. Arch., Perl, Verilog and OOPs asked.

Interview Question – Virtual memory management   Answer Question

Logic Design Engineer Interview

Logic Design Engineer
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Marvell Technology in October 2013.

Interview Details Campus interview first during the career fair time. Followed by a phone interview one week after and scheduled onsite one week after. I heard back from the HR person after one week of my onsite. Great campus, nice people, fancy cafe.

The CPU group is a mix of design and verification. Average difficulty for the questions, some recruiters are also from the verification team.

Interview Question – How to apply what we learned from school to the current going on project?
Some verilog coding questions.
Basic logic design questions.

More on the verilog project we did at school for a RISC processor.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Have other offers.

Worked for Marvell Technology? Contribute to the Community!