MassMutual

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fort Wayne, IN (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details Very easy!

Interview Question – Typical questions for entry level position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Everyone starts out with the same commissions.

Financial Services Professional

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details Apply. Interview. get a yes or no. Simple

Interview Question – Why do you want to be an agent?   View Answer

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details Applied online, Was asked to attend WebEx, called into office for a first round interview, then asked for a second round interview

Interview Question – First interview round is mainly to get to know the candidate better on a more personal and career goals setting   Answer Question

Hunt Valley, MD (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in May 2009.

Interview Details First interview will be with a sales manager. They will review the sales process and the products that you will be able to sell. This can last about 30min to an hour. You will be questioned as to your self motivational skills and internal need to succeed. You will need to exhibit a competitive nature and provide examples. You will have at least one more interview with the sales manager and the general agent after the initial. At this time, the compesation schedule and bonus structure will be reviewed. Typically the interviews end with a decision on your part. They will ask you if you want the job. This is a sales position and if you are willing to put forth the effort, there is minimal chance that you will not be hired. There is no base salary, so from a management standpoint....they have nothing to lose in giving you a shot. I met many hires from numerous educational and professional backgrounds. So industry experience is not necessarily required.

Interview Question – Are you willing to make cold calls? No questions were particularly difficult or tricky as far as provoking thought. Just simply are you willing to do what is required. I was unsure if I was willing to cold call. That is why it was a difficult question for me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no base salary option. So you are offered a few incentive based commission schedules. I chose the one with the highest potential payout.

Nå (Norway)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in September 2012.

Interview Details 4 interviews. All easy and pretty standard. It seems like they don't hire you until you ask to be hired or ask what the next steps are to starting at the company.

Interview Question – Took a survey online that statistically guessed that I would not be very successful that the position. As a matter of fact it was correct, I was not very successful at the time because I was uncomfortable on the phone   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Here's what you are going to get paid if each type of insurance sale: $X, $Y, $Z. If you do joint work you get 1/2. You get this amount for residuals per year $xx.xx

Very Easy Interview

Newport Beach, CA (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in November 2012.

Interview Details Seemed very different from others. Only 3 interviews all less than 30 minutes of the company promoting themselves. No phone interview, no IQ test, only personality test and background check.

Reason for Declining – Seems like a great company but I received an offer from my dream job.

Financial Services Professional

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in July 2011.

Interview Details Before you can sell they want to first make sure you have your Life and Health Insurance License. And even after that you have two sit for about 2 weeks for training to make sure you say exactly, word for word, their sales language when you are infront of someone.

Interview Question – You have to compile a list of 200 people that you will call on for your first sales.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable financing.

Financial Services Professional

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2010.

Interview Details Go through 4 interviews. They ask a lot of questions to try to get to know me. Not just work questions but life goals. I think its nice that they want to know how I am as a person to see how I will fit not only in the industry, but in the culture of the office.

Interview Question – What I can improve on   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No. Pretty self explanitory

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in December 2011.

Interview Details Originally i was contacted by a recruiter which scheduled me to do an interview.
- The first interview was pretty basic, explaining how the position worked, following up with some basic interview questions. I was told to complete a personality test online before continuing on to the next interview.
- The Second interview consisted of more questions. These questions were mainly geared towards the understanding of the position and the type of person you are. Seeking that you are a rational, logical, motivated, and someone who can take rejection.

Overall I found everyone to be very nice and professional. The atmosphere of the office made me feel very high up and prestige.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I didn't feel i would be able to market myself after using all of my natural resources (family & friends)

Very Easy Interview

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional
Jacksonville, FL (US)

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in June 2011.

Interview Details They had me come in for multiple interviews/appointments over the course of a month. We had discussions and talks which were basically to judge my character and make sure I was personable and able to prospect for potential clients.

Interview Question – What makes you think you will be able to survive in this tough business?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at MassMutual

Worked for MassMutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MassMutual Financial Service Professional interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by MassMutual employees and interview candidates.