MassMutual Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.6

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual.

A couple of phone conversations and in person conversations

not an option

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Wayne, IN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at MassMutual.

Very easy!

Interview Questions
    Everyone starts out with the same commissions.

Agent Interview

I applied online - interviewed at MassMutual.

I was contacted by a recruiter after emailing a resume. I had an initial interview by the recruiter and was offered an second interview by a Vice President. If hired, I would work for that Vice President. The Vice President had me fill out an online questionnaire. The questionnaire is there to weed out people who either have no sales/social bones in their body or are not smart enough to indicate it when that is obviously what the test is seeking to measure.
    Following a passing score on the questionnaire, I worked part time for several months and subsequently began working full time.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation and what you did to overcome it?   View Answer
    Everything is negotiable, even when they say it is not.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at MassMutual in August 2013.

Set up with the office administrator. I had two interviews with one of the two sales managers in the office. The first was a basic interview with generic questions, the second was more oriented towards explaining how the company works and giving me a tour of the office. The pay structure was also explained at the second interview, although it sounded much better than it is in reality.

Interview Questions
    • There were really no difficult questions. The standard questions from any interview were there, such as "where do you see yourself in five years?", etc. In addition, I was given the link to a survey to take that ranks my potential sales ability on a scale of 1-5, with 5 showing great potential as a salesman and 1 implying that maybe you should look for another job. Although the manager said they don't choose to hire or not solely based on that survey, it apparently is given some weight.   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual.

Apply. Interview. get a yes or no. Simple

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2014.

A local agency partner found my resume that I posted on an internet job board and called me. The initial correspondence of a phone call and subsequent text messages were a bit unusual to me (who has no experience in sales). Fresh out of college with my masters, I decided to come in and speak the MassMutual agent. Mostly, the MassMutual agent spoke about how the firm uses the software LEAP and he wants me to sell this product. The agent seemed very excited about this new program (LEAP, which is a multifaceted cash flow manager) and tells me all the great shining things about the products, company, and opportunities (I'd be making a lot of money -- he just didn't say when I would be making that money. Plus, all commission based pay) - rough sledding for a recent college grad with some to pay for a student loan. This informational interview proceeded for about an hour. Overall, I perceived the local agent as a person that is not a greedy insurance peddler, but I only had one meeting. I was offered to start right away.

Interview Questions
    • Very unorthodox meeting (wouldn't even call it an interview). Basically, I was given a brief tutorial about the software and was given tutorial of the agency philosophy. Then, I was asked my thoughts and what did I expect.   Answer Question

As a graduate student, I had only been out on the market for two weeks, and I was hesitant to take a commission based salary.

Assistant Vice President Marketing Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at MassMutual.

Know your numbers. Be prepared to show - in metrics fashion - how you achieved objectives.

Interview Questions
    • Why should I choose you when there is the interest we've had?   View Answer
    Salary agreeable

Audit Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springfield, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MA (US)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 months - interviewed at MassMutual.

I went through two sets of interview, one with the actual team which includes business and IT auditors and the second interview is with senior management team. The interview is 4 hours for each interview. It takes about a 4 to 6 weeks to make final decision.

Interview Questions
    • Why should I give this job to you, when I have similar or stronger candidate.
      Lot of business case and technical scenario questions.
        Answer Question
    The negotiation phase takes about 2 to 3 weeks.

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at MassMutual in November 2012.

Interview process was great. The manager was kind and helpful in explaining the job description, potential to grow, all the pros and cons about the job. They also have you take a test on your personality to see if you would do well on the job. I think this might be helpful in some cases but not in all cases since people are all different and no test can give an accurate review of one's potential to success in a given job.

Interview Questions
    • How much do you need to make per year starting this year if you were to start working for us? What are you looking for in life?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockford, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at MassMutual in February 2011.

A four step process is standard. It includes a phone screening, an online screening, an 2/3 in person interviews. During the in person interviews you will most likely speak with a sales manager and somebody higher up in the company. I really enjoyed interviewing for them, because they do ask uncomfortable questions or some that might be seen as personal, and that is what makes for an interesting interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is your definition of success, because having a unique answer matters.   Answer Question