McKinsey & Company

3.9

McKinsey Implementation Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

My initial interactions with the firm were very professional. However, once they had decided I didn't make the cut, it was as though I never existed.

My first interview was a behavioural/experience based interview, where I was asked a few questions around my experience and fit with McKinsey, specifically with McKinsey Implementation. They explained to me that there would be 6-8 case interviews following this initial meeting, and offered case coaching over the phone with an Associate in America to help prepare me for the case interview process.

After going through a case during the coaching session, I received feedback that my performance overall was satisfactory, and they offered me additional resources (structured written cases) to help prepare some more. The Recruitment Coordinator also invited me to attend a group coaching session that would take place the following week, so I would have the best opportunity to prepare for the case interviews. In the meantime, the next step was to schedule a 'soft' interview, where I'd work through a case with a Senior Implementation Leader and discuss my experience.

Although I did well in the case, I struggled with how to structure some of my experience questions the way they wanted (individual achievements, rather than team) and received some valuable feedback during the interview of how to structure my answers better.

Unfortunately, I received a phone call several hours later, informing me that they would not be progressing with my application. I received very little feedback, as it was a Recruiter that called me and not the interviewer, and there was no explanation given as to why the 'soft' interview resulted in such an abrupt finish. Shortly before I received the phone call, I had sent an email to the Recruitment Coordinator I was dealing with, to confirm the timing of the coaching session she had offered. I never received any further communication from McKinsey & Company.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly experience-based questions, followed by a case about field service operations and customer experience.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
    Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2012.

Submit resume, CV, transcript around first week of university. Follow up with two rounds of two one on one interviews - needing success in the first round of two to progress to the next round of two. Each round had a case study - classic unstructured discussion of some difficult to estimate finance or economics question. If you study maths, be warned that you should brush up on your arithmetic, because they will punish you if you make a mistake in a calculation when you come from a maths background.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the economics of building a new library. The question was a classic case study.. but the way it was given was very strange - the interviewer seemed to be intentionally impatient, short and sharp with her answers, avoiding eye contact, and overall displaying quite aggressive body language.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2008.

There is an initial resume scan - your resume needs to show leadership and academic performance. There is also an aptitude test.
    The first round of 3 interviews will be with associates and engagement managers - there will be in depth questions about an experience you have had. There will also be a case question which will require problem solving skills.

Interview Questions
    • How can we work out whether an online recruiting business should enter African markets   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2008.

- begins with the submission of a long list of application documents including but not limited to, resume, cover letter, essay
    - next comes an examination comprising a series of multiple choice questions that takes an hour to complete
    - following that are the series of interviews ( i went for 4 rounds of interviews) with 2 case study interviews

Non-negotiable

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2007.

In total I was interviewed by 11 different people over the period of about 2 months. Interviewers consisted of junior staff and firm Directors. I had three seperate interview dates which were mostly unstructured interviews. For two of the interviews I undertook worksample tasks.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult question on how to use statistics to determine how a compan should change its supply model   View Answer

Junior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I was interviewed by three different people. All the three interviews were starting with questions about myself and my experience and after that I was aksed to solve a business case. The cases weren't very difficult. What I found difficult was the fact the my recruiters were always observing when I was computing qualculation what made me feel uncomfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the time you had to convince sb to do sth   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The process was fast. It took four weeks. I had a lot of coaching from current BAs and they are all very friendly and helpful. The cases are not hard at all, but you just have to be strategic about the way you present it. Follow their logic is key.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Three rounds of interviews, starting with the IWIA, then two rounds of case/behavioral interviews. The IWIA is a standardized test of sorts (practice tests available online). The test is fairly difficult, so study up.

The second and third round interviews are a combination of case/behavioral interviews, two or three in a row. Your interviewer will drill down into you past history, so take some time to remember a few pertinent experiences, especially around teamwork and leadership.

The cases are formulaic. They all involve structuring a problem, solving a math problem, and interpreting a series of graphs. Be prepared to talk about unfamiliar industries and to generate insights on a short timeframe in a systematic manner.

Interview Questions
    • A certain town in looking to increase its Foreign Direct Investment. How would you go about doing this?   View Answer

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied on campus as an APD candidate (sciences phd), received invitation for an Initial Assesment and Interview Workshop (IWIA) including the McK problem solving test what was a long time after I sent in the application online. Invited back via e-mail the same evening for a first round interview. I was assigned a buddy from the IWIA who gave me some great advice for how to improve! Then the interview was two different people each with a personal experience and case section. I was called two days later (on a saturday) by an interviewer saying I did not move on but giving me, once again, some great feedback.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

3 rounds, all similar "tell me a time when..." questions, but I brought a lot of notes and was generally prepared. People were very to-the-point and non-emotional. I couldn't read them at all! Turns out they loved me, but I was nervous afterwar.