McKinsey & Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Melbourne

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2012.

Interview Details Submit resume, CV, transcript around first week of university. Follow up with two rounds of two one on one interviews - needing success in the first round of two to progress to the next round of two. Each round had a case study - classic unstructured discussion of some difficult to estimate finance or economics question. If you study maths, be warned that you should brush up on your arithmetic, because they will punish you if you make a mistake in a calculation when you come from a maths background.

Interview Question – Estimate the economics of building a new library. The question was a classic case study.. but the way it was given was very strange - the interviewer seemed to be intentionally impatient, short and sharp with her answers, avoiding eye contact, and overall displaying quite aggressive body language.   View Answer

McKinsey Implementation Interview

McKinsey Implementation
Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

Interview Details My initial interactions with the firm were very professional. However, once they had decided I didn't make the cut, it was as though I never existed.

My first interview was a behavioural/experience based interview, where I was asked a few questions around my experience and fit with McKinsey, specifically with McKinsey Implementation. They explained to me that there would be 6-8 case interviews following this initial meeting, and offered case coaching over the phone with an Associate in America to help prepare me for the case interview process.

After going through a case during the coaching session, I received feedback that my performance overall was satisfactory, and they offered me additional resources (structured written cases) to help prepare some more. The Recruitment Coordinator also invited me to attend a group coaching session that would take place the following week, so I would have the best opportunity to prepare for the case interviews. In the meantime, the next step was to schedule a 'soft' interview, where I'd work through a case with a Senior Implementation Leader and discuss my experience.

Although I did well in the case, I struggled with how to structure some of my experience questions the way they wanted (individual achievements, rather than team) and received some valuable feedback during the interview of how to structure my answers better.

Unfortunately, I received a phone call several hours later, informing me that they would not be progressing with my application. I received very little feedback, as it was a Recruiter that called me and not the interviewer, and there was no explanation given as to why the 'soft' interview resulted in such an abrupt finish. Shortly before I received the phone call, I had sent an email to the Recruitment Coordinator I was dealing with, to confirm the timing of the coaching session she had offered. I never received any further communication from McKinsey & Company.

Interview Question – Mostly experience-based questions, followed by a case about field service operations and customer experience.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Sydney

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2008.

Interview Details There is an initial resume scan - your resume needs to show leadership and academic performance. There is also an aptitude test.
The first round of 3 interviews will be with associates and engagement managers - there will be in depth questions about an experience you have had. There will also be a case question which will require problem solving skills.

Interview Question – How can we work out whether an online recruiting business should enter African markets   Answer Question

Research Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2008.

Interview Details - begins with the submission of a long list of application documents including but not limited to, resume, cover letter, essay
- next comes an examination comprising a series of multiple choice questions that takes an hour to complete
- following that are the series of interviews ( i went for 4 rounds of interviews) with 2 case study interviews

Interview Question – Case Study Questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Very Difficult Interview

Sydney

The process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2007.

Interview Details In total I was interviewed by 11 different people over the period of about 2 months. Interviewers consisted of junior staff and firm Directors. I had three seperate interview dates which were mostly unstructured interviews. For two of the interviews I undertook worksample tasks.

Interview Question – Difficult question on how to use statistics to determine how a compan should change its supply model   View Answer

Implementation Coach Interview

Implementation Coach
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2014.

Interview Details I managed to get an interview with McKinsey through an alumni. I was very fortunate since McKinsey does not recruit at my school. However, since I did not want to pursue a career in consulting, I never practiced how to interview for a consulting role (ie. case study interviews). I ended up having to cram this knowledge in a week for my phone case interview and a week for my on-site interview.

Process started with a call with the recruiter. Everything was very courteous, professional and on a timely manner. After my call with the recruiter, I was set up for a practice phone case interview with a former associate from McKinsey. There I was able to mess up and received feedback on how to improve, Then I had my real phone case interview a few days later. It was pretty straight forward (read up on McKinsey's interview format, since it's a bit different than other firms). I passed that and was invited to go to Chicago for two case interviews and two behavioral interviews.

I flew to Chicago, where McKinsey put my in a nice hotel right by the office. They also had me set up a credit card so I can charge food and taxi rides on, which was pretty cool. Next day was my interviews, which again was the same format. 30 minutes behavior interview and 30 minute case interview with one interviewer. Then the same for the second interviewer. I messed up on the quant for my second interviewer (see below.) After that, I had to do my Problem Solving Test (PST), which was brutal. As far as I know and heard, everyone struggles with the PST.

Unfortunately, I was not invited back for my final on-site interview (with the directors and partners). They were quick to provide feedback (mine recruiter actually was late by a few days, but still within a week). Feedback was that I had solid stories to tell on my behavior interviews but was weak on quant.

Still, due to their professionalism and quick response, I had a positive experience interviewing with McKinsey.

Interview Question – Case study: Where I was to determine how much one factory needed to produce X to have the equivalent cost to tons produced ratio as another factory. Graph was given of costs (fixed and variable) vs tons produced of both factories.   View Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Junior Associate
London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2013.

Interview Details Problem solving test was manageable, using example case studies to prepare. Failed to progress beyond first round of interviews. First round consisted of 2 back to back interviews. Managed to pass the first one but was unsuccessful in the second one, resulting in my overall failure to progress.

Interview Question – Second case studies interview was about a country I did not know much about, and my biggest mistake was not asking the interviewer enough questions.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

Interview Details The interviews is a long process where you meet at least two interviewers for 1 hour each,
The people are friendly and never make you feel like you do not know what you are saying in the interview process

Interview Question – Tough   Answer Question

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details They asked me three questions: why would you like to change your job? what types of tools did you used in one of my project? what questions do I want to ask him?

Interview Question – what types of tools did you used in one of my project? they asked very specific questions   Answer Question

Summer Insight Asia Program Interview

Summer Insight Asia Program

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details Submitted resume and a 500 word essay online.
Phone interview by an senior associate from Beijing Office.
30 mins. 10 mins fit questions.(why consulting? why McKinsey? Why greater China? a leadership experience) 20 mins mini case (tech company expand into lower end market. )

Didn't get the offer, but was invited back to full-time interview in the fall.

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!