McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014

3.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2012.

Submit resume, CV, transcript around first week of university. Follow up with two rounds of two one on one interviews - needing success in the first round of two to progress to the next round of two. Each round had a case study - classic unstructured discussion of some difficult to estimate finance or economics question. If you study maths, be warned that you should brush up on your arithmetic, because they will punish you if you make a mistake in a calculation when you come from a maths background.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the economics of building a new library. The question was a classic case study.. but the way it was given was very strange - the interviewer seemed to be intentionally impatient, short and sharp with her answers, avoiding eye contact, and overall displaying quite aggressive body language.   View Answer

McKinsey Implementation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

My initial interactions with the firm were very professional. However, once they had decided I didn't make the cut, it was as though I never existed.

My first interview was a behavioural/experience based interview, where I was asked a few questions around my experience and fit with McKinsey, specifically with McKinsey Implementation. They explained to me that there would be 6-8 case interviews following this initial meeting, and offered case coaching over the phone with an Associate in America to help prepare me for the case interview process.

After going through a case during the coaching session, I received feedback that my performance overall was satisfactory, and they offered me additional resources (structured written cases) to help prepare some more. The Recruitment Coordinator also invited me to attend a group coaching session that would take place the following week, so I would have the best opportunity to prepare for the case interviews. In the meantime, the next step was to schedule a 'soft' interview, where I'd work through a case with a Senior Implementation Leader and discuss my experience.

Although I did well in the case, I struggled with how to structure some of my experience questions the way they wanted (individual achievements, rather than team) and received some valuable feedback during the interview of how to structure my answers better.

Unfortunately, I received a phone call several hours later, informing me that they would not be progressing with my application. I received very little feedback, as it was a Recruiter that called me and not the interviewer, and there was no explanation given as to why the 'soft' interview resulted in such an abrupt finish. Shortly before I received the phone call, I had sent an email to the Recruitment Coordinator I was dealing with, to confirm the timing of the coaching session she had offered. I never received any further communication from McKinsey & Company.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly experience-based questions, followed by a case about field service operations and customer experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2008.

There is an initial resume scan - your resume needs to show leadership and academic performance. There is also an aptitude test.
    The first round of 3 interviews will be with associates and engagement managers - there will be in depth questions about an experience you have had. There will also be a case question which will require problem solving skills.

Interview Questions
    • How can we work out whether an online recruiting business should enter African markets   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2008.

- begins with the submission of a long list of application documents including but not limited to, resume, cover letter, essay
    - next comes an examination comprising a series of multiple choice questions that takes an hour to complete
    - following that are the series of interviews ( i went for 4 rounds of interviews) with 2 case study interviews

Non-negotiable

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2007.

In total I was interviewed by 11 different people over the period of about 2 months. Interviewers consisted of junior staff and firm Directors. I had three seperate interview dates which were mostly unstructured interviews. For two of the interviews I undertook worksample tasks.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult question on how to use statistics to determine how a compan should change its supply model   View Answer

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Went through normal campus recruiting cycle; written test was just like they told us. We all took the test together and everyone felt it was very difficult! One interview on campus and a second round in the office location.

Interview Questions
    • Case interviews, nothing out of character; Case in Point was helpful (cliche, but true!)   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate; definitely entering as a cog in the system

Junior Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2013.

After you get through the background check you are being invited for the tests. For me it was the hardest part in the hiring process as they are very binary and tricky. Reading through exemplary tests on McKinsey site can help you a lot.
    After that you are being invited on at least 2 rounds of interviews during which you speak with senior members of the firm. Each interview consists of 2 parts - 1st is speaking about your personal experience. They want you to recall events from the past during which you were stressed, extremely focused and so on. 2nd part is solving a case. Usually you are missing some data and need to either ask for it or assume and ask if the assumption is correct. Preparation to the interview is also available on McKinsey websites. You should definitely look into it as well as it depicts the real process really accurately.
    After each round of interviews you are immediately informed whether you passed or not and get invited for the next round of interviews.

My 2 advices would be:
    1) For test - read question really thoroughly.
    2) For interviews - LISTEN. Do not blab about how awesome you are when you are asked a direct question.

Interview Questions
    • Recall an event from your past when you had to exhibit outstanding leadership.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2014.

Experienced hire. Standard PEI and cases. Nothing very surprising in terms of the content of the interview. The most important thing is to be able to think fast and accurately under stress. The interviewers are all very friendly and really do help you relax. They really want you to succeed and do guide you when you are stuck. Great firm culture and very enjoyable interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Dig deeper and draw implications on very vaguely drawn charts/exhibits.   Answer Question
    no negotiation.

Management Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2014.

Applied online. Initial CV screen followed by offer to do problem-solving test. Passed PST and then offered interview consisting of 2 x hour long interviews with two separate consultants. Each interview had a personal experience question and case study.

Interview Questions
    • Personal experience questions asked about leadership and dealing with conflict resolution.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The process is not a short one. It can expand for a couple of months and several contacts over the phone. It is mainly based on your experiences and case based. So be really prepared for the cases. The process is exactly what they tell the applicants is going to be. So do not expect any surprises just review all the materials they provide through its website and through your recruiter, study all the basic interviewing questions (tell me about yourself, how your experience relates to the position, etc). Be yourself, review your resume, gather and study all the material they provide and you will do fine.

Interview Questions

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!