McKinsey & Company

692 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

McKinsey Implementation Interview

Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

Interview Details My initial interactions with the firm were very professional. However, once they had decided I didn't make the cut, it was as though I never existed.

My first interview was a behavioural/experience based interview, where I was asked a few questions around my experience and fit with McKinsey, specifically with McKinsey Implementation. They explained to me that there would be 6-8 case interviews following this initial meeting, and offered case coaching over the phone with an Associate in America to help prepare me for the case interview process.

After going through a case during the coaching session, I received feedback that my performance overall was satisfactory, and they offered me additional resources (structured written cases) to help prepare some more. The Recruitment Coordinator also invited me to attend a group coaching session that would take place the following week, so I would have the best opportunity to prepare for the case interviews. In the meantime, the next step was to schedule a 'soft' interview, where I'd work through a case with a Senior Implementation Leader and discuss my experience.

Although I did well in the case, I struggled with how to structure some of my experience questions the way they wanted (individual achievements, rather than team) and received some valuable feedback during the interview of how to structure my answers better.

Unfortunately, I received a phone call several hours later, informing me that they would not be progressing with my application. I received very little feedback, as it was a Recruiter that called me and not the interviewer, and there was no explanation given as to why the 'soft' interview resulted in such an abrupt finish. Shortly before I received the phone call, I had sent an email to the Recruitment Coordinator I was dealing with, to confirm the timing of the coaching session she had offered. I never received any further communication from McKinsey & Company.

Interview Question – Mostly experience-based questions, followed by a case about field service operations and customer experience.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Sydney

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2008.

Interview Details There is an initial resume scan - your resume needs to show leadership and academic performance. There is also an aptitude test.
The first round of 3 interviews will be with associates and engagement managers - there will be in depth questions about an experience you have had. There will also be a case question which will require problem solving skills.

Interview Question – How can we work out whether an online recruiting business should enter African markets   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2008.

Interview Details - begins with the submission of a long list of application documents including but not limited to, resume, cover letter, essay
- next comes an examination comprising a series of multiple choice questions that takes an hour to complete
- following that are the series of interviews ( i went for 4 rounds of interviews) with 2 case study interviews

Interview Question – Case Study Questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Very Difficult Interview

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Sydney

The process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2007.

Interview Details In total I was interviewed by 11 different people over the period of about 2 months. Interviewers consisted of junior staff and firm Directors. I had three seperate interview dates which were mostly unstructured interviews. For two of the interviews I undertook worksample tasks.

Interview Question – Difficult question on how to use statistics to determine how a compan should change its supply model   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details 2 round interviews + timed questionnaire

Interview Question – What was the time when you had to pass through your opinion against someone who thought differently than you?   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2012.

Interview Details Quite deltailed.Needs thorough preparation. They is an interview coaching session which they always recommend that the candidates attend.

Interview Question – None. I was just not ready enough for the case , the way in which one structures the responds is theeee most important thing .   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2013.

Interview Details Submitted CV and cover letter online and received an email inviting me to a 1 hour problem solving test at a nearby McKinsey office 2 weeks later. Completed the test and was emailed 1 week later informing me that I had passed the test and was invited to the next round of face to face interviews. I was given a range of dates to choose from as well as the chance to attend a training session beforehand. The format was two 1 hour interviews with a different consultant. The first half hour of each interview was an in depth analysis of a single behavioural question eg "Describe a time you overcame an obstacle to achieve a goal". The second half hour was a case study of the type that can be found on McKinsey's career page with plenty of steering by the consultants.

Interview Question – Not a specific question but they will probe very deep on the behavioural question. Make sure that any example you use has enough meat to last for 30 minutes of discussion.   Answer Question

Fellow Associate Interview

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details First round interview with McK in Germany. Overall very pleasant and enjoyable experience with some things to pay attention to:
1.) Do not make math mistakes, they will cost you even if you can convey that you are good at math and they were just bad luck. It's better to take an extra 5 sec than to mess up a calculation
2.) Choose your answers to the FIT questions carefully...you are expected to dazzle and shouldn't just be giving an average answers.
3.) On the case, first brainstorm and list a whole mess of ideas that come to mind, then dig deeper and explain the individual branches of your issue tree in detail.

Interview Question – The interview overall was not very difficult and everything that you would have expected.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Prague (Czech Republic)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details Typical case interview format following the first round of a written test and interviews in New York. Given great feedback and moved to a second/third round in an overseas office. However, a very different experience there: engagement manager interviewing me there was far from interested in having a good conversation, and kept checking his phone while talking to me. Not the kind of professionalism I would expect after having gone through multiple interviews and spent tens of hours preparing for interviews.

Make sure to be confident and interact with interviewers as you would with a business partner. They want to see a mature person on the other side of the table.

McKinsey is still a great company to work for but unfortunately, even just one grumpy person can ruin your experience and opportunity to join the

Interview Question – Being asked the same question over and over: when did you convince a team to do something differently and how did you persuade those who did not agree?   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details Got an email from a recruiter, asked some very basic personal questions and then invited me to take a problem solving test.
Got to their office, was treated very nicely, took the test that didn't feel that hard (very little time per question though - I think there were 25 questions in 24 minutes or something like that) and I never heard back from them.
I tried emailing the recruiter but she never answered.
The test consisted of 3 business case studies.

Interview Question – Based on very little information, what should the business do next in order to increase sales?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!

McKinsey & Company Videos

McKinsey & Company – Why Work for Us?

​ Someone once said “Far and away, the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Our consultants tackle complex, world-shaping challenges… from re-imagining healthcare… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinsey & Company interview questions and advice. All 692 interview reviews are posted anonymously by McKinsey & Company employees and interview candidates.