McKinsey & Company

Updated 18 Nov 2014

3.9

McKinsey Implementation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

My initial interactions with the firm were very professional. However, once they had decided I didn't make the cut, it was as though I never existed.

My first interview was a behavioural/experience based interview, where I was asked a few questions around my experience and fit with McKinsey, specifically with McKinsey Implementation. They explained to me that there would be 6-8 case interviews following this initial meeting, and offered case coaching over the phone with an Associate in America to help prepare me for the case interview process.

After going through a case during the coaching session, I received feedback that my performance overall was satisfactory, and they offered me additional resources (structured written cases) to help prepare some more. The Recruitment Coordinator also invited me to attend a group coaching session that would take place the following week, so I would have the best opportunity to prepare for the case interviews. In the meantime, the next step was to schedule a 'soft' interview, where I'd work through a case with a Senior Implementation Leader and discuss my experience.

Although I did well in the case, I struggled with how to structure some of my experience questions the way they wanted (individual achievements, rather than team) and received some valuable feedback during the interview of how to structure my answers better.

Unfortunately, I received a phone call several hours later, informing me that they would not be progressing with my application. I received very little feedback, as it was a Recruiter that called me and not the interviewer, and there was no explanation given as to why the 'soft' interview resulted in such an abrupt finish. Shortly before I received the phone call, I had sent an email to the Recruitment Coordinator I was dealing with, to confirm the timing of the coaching session she had offered. I never received any further communication from McKinsey & Company.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly experience-based questions, followed by a case about field service operations and customer experience.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2012.

Submit resume, CV, transcript around first week of university. Follow up with two rounds of two one on one interviews - needing success in the first round of two to progress to the next round of two. Each round had a case study - classic unstructured discussion of some difficult to estimate finance or economics question. If you study maths, be warned that you should brush up on your arithmetic, because they will punish you if you make a mistake in a calculation when you come from a maths background.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the economics of building a new library. The question was a classic case study.. but the way it was given was very strange - the interviewer seemed to be intentionally impatient, short and sharp with her answers, avoiding eye contact, and overall displaying quite aggressive body language.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2008.

There is an initial resume scan - your resume needs to show leadership and academic performance. There is also an aptitude test.
    The first round of 3 interviews will be with associates and engagement managers - there will be in depth questions about an experience you have had. There will also be a case question which will require problem solving skills.

Interview Questions
    • How can we work out whether an online recruiting business should enter African markets   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2008.

- begins with the submission of a long list of application documents including but not limited to, resume, cover letter, essay
    - next comes an examination comprising a series of multiple choice questions that takes an hour to complete
    - following that are the series of interviews ( i went for 4 rounds of interviews) with 2 case study interviews

Non-negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2007.

In total I was interviewed by 11 different people over the period of about 2 months. Interviewers consisted of junior staff and firm Directors. I had three seperate interview dates which were mostly unstructured interviews. For two of the interviews I undertook worksample tasks.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult question on how to use statistics to determine how a compan should change its supply model   View Answer

Junior Associate Interview

I was invited to the Problem Solving Test and prepared with the samples online and GRE/GMAT material.Communication in advance and feedback were good. The test room was too hot and cramped.

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

There's resume screening, then I got the chance to revise my office preferences (which I indicated in the application form). The next stage was the first round on-site interview with 2 consultants. The final (or second to the last stage, depending on circumstances) moved on to the second round on-site interview with 3 consultants. Very pleasant experience. The recruiter is very professional and nice.

Typical interviews, and the formats are identical to what McKinsey posted on its website. There are case-coaching sessions right before each round (once one proceeds beyond the first-round). It seems that most APD and Associate hires go through three on-site interviews by default. Undergrad BA hires go through two on-site interviews.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through school. 1st round interview and followed by 2nd round with partner. 1st round was case based and also had behavioral component. Recommend interviewer led cases. 2nd round was more behavioral and some ad hoc cases

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

1st round PST and 2nd round onsite interview.
    1st interview includes PST and two group case practices. Seems that only PST counts for whether getting into next round or not.

2nd round included two sessions. 15 mins personal experience and 30 mins case interview. Mostly engagement manager will lead the case

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle a party of multi-interest and multi-background?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

It was not the most structured because I joined as an experienced hire. You do get to know a good amount of people in the group before you need to accept/decline.

Interview Questions
    • An impromptu case interview. But honestly do not worry about it because I don't think this was part of the normal process and I don't think they were being very strict in terms of getting everything perfect.   Answer Question