McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated 18 Oct 2014

3.9

McKinsey Implementation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

My initial interactions with the firm were very professional. However, once they had decided I didn't make the cut, it was as though I never existed.

My first interview was a behavioural/experience based interview, where I was asked a few questions around my experience and fit with McKinsey, specifically with McKinsey Implementation. They explained to me that there would be 6-8 case interviews following this initial meeting, and offered case coaching over the phone with an Associate in America to help prepare me for the case interview process.

After going through a case during the coaching session, I received feedback that my performance overall was satisfactory, and they offered me additional resources (structured written cases) to help prepare some more. The Recruitment Coordinator also invited me to attend a group coaching session that would take place the following week, so I would have the best opportunity to prepare for the case interviews. In the meantime, the next step was to schedule a 'soft' interview, where I'd work through a case with a Senior Implementation Leader and discuss my experience.

Although I did well in the case, I struggled with how to structure some of my experience questions the way they wanted (individual achievements, rather than team) and received some valuable feedback during the interview of how to structure my answers better.

Unfortunately, I received a phone call several hours later, informing me that they would not be progressing with my application. I received very little feedback, as it was a Recruiter that called me and not the interviewer, and there was no explanation given as to why the 'soft' interview resulted in such an abrupt finish. Shortly before I received the phone call, I had sent an email to the Recruitment Coordinator I was dealing with, to confirm the timing of the coaching session she had offered. I never received any further communication from McKinsey & Company.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly experience-based questions, followed by a case about field service operations and customer experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2012.

Submit resume, CV, transcript around first week of university. Follow up with two rounds of two one on one interviews - needing success in the first round of two to progress to the next round of two. Each round had a case study - classic unstructured discussion of some difficult to estimate finance or economics question. If you study maths, be warned that you should brush up on your arithmetic, because they will punish you if you make a mistake in a calculation when you come from a maths background.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the economics of building a new library. The question was a classic case study.. but the way it was given was very strange - the interviewer seemed to be intentionally impatient, short and sharp with her answers, avoiding eye contact, and overall displaying quite aggressive body language.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2008.

There is an initial resume scan - your resume needs to show leadership and academic performance. There is also an aptitude test.
    The first round of 3 interviews will be with associates and engagement managers - there will be in depth questions about an experience you have had. There will also be a case question which will require problem solving skills.

Interview Questions
    • How can we work out whether an online recruiting business should enter African markets   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2008.

- begins with the submission of a long list of application documents including but not limited to, resume, cover letter, essay
    - next comes an examination comprising a series of multiple choice questions that takes an hour to complete
    - following that are the series of interviews ( i went for 4 rounds of interviews) with 2 case study interviews

Non-negotiable

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2007.

In total I was interviewed by 11 different people over the period of about 2 months. Interviewers consisted of junior staff and firm Directors. I had three seperate interview dates which were mostly unstructured interviews. For two of the interviews I undertook worksample tasks.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult question on how to use statistics to determine how a compan should change its supply model   View Answer

Associate Interview

Brought in through APD recruitment program. First round was a problem-solving test and group practice case. Second round was individual personal and case interviews. Experience with case interviews is definitely necessary--if you plan to apply, start practicing before applying as there might only be a short amount of time between your first and second round interviews.

Received useful individual feedback about my performance after each round.

Interview Questions
    • None--they are very straightforward about the structure of the interview process and how to prepare.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The hiring and interview process is composed as follows:
    1 initial problem solving test - in which is measured the candidate's ability to deal with numbers
    2 interviews with managers - in which is tested the ability to problem solve and deal with stress
    1 interview with human resources head - in which is tested your psychological attitude
    2 interview with partner/senior partner - in which is tested the ability to problem solve and deal with stress

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Problem solving test was one hour analytic/ critical reading exam. Short on time. Must be quick with estimation and math.
    Group interview consisted of two interviews in groups of four to five candidates with a consultant working through a case. Consultant asks each candidate a question and others may then build on that response.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part was time management of problem solving test to start the day.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through my business school (top-15) in U.S for the BTO practice. I interviewed first round in one office and then second round at my chosen office. The first round interview (two cases and PEIs) went very well - I was told that I was one of the 'standout' candidates. The second round had 4 interviews (PEI and case in each), 3 of them with Partners and one with Associate Principal. Interview cases were not hard - the math was very easy and I solved them correctly. Some brainstorming with one partner maybe didn't go very well because his point of view had certain assumptions (that I brought out). Disappointed to not get an offer.

Organization Specialist Interview

8 rounds of interview with initial telephonic rounds followed by a batch day with a series of interviews. There was also a aptitude test taken on the batch day. The interview was mostly case based questions and also questions related to my previous work experience