McKinsey & Company Interview Questions & Reviews

738 interviews

3.9

Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne
    Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I interviewed online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2012.

Submit resume, CV, transcript around first week of university. Follow up with two rounds of two one on one interviews - needing success in the first round of two to progress to the next round of two. Each round had a case study - classic unstructured discussion of some difficult to estimate finance or economics question. If you study maths, be warned that you should brush up on your arithmetic, because they will punish you if you make a mistake in a calculation when you come from a maths background.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the economics of building a new library. The question was a classic case study.. but the way it was given was very strange - the interviewer seemed to be intentionally impatient, short and sharp with her answers, avoiding eye contact, and overall displaying quite aggressive body language.   View Answer

McKinsey Implementation Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

My initial interactions with the firm were very professional. However, once they had decided I didn't make the cut, it was as though I never existed.

My first interview was a behavioural/experience based interview, where I was asked a few questions around my experience and fit with McKinsey, specifically with McKinsey Implementation. They explained to me that there would be 6-8 case interviews following this initial meeting, and offered case coaching over the phone with an Associate in America to help prepare me for the case interview process.

After going through a case during the coaching session, I received feedback that my performance overall was satisfactory, and they offered me additional resources (structured written cases) to help prepare some more. The Recruitment Coordinator also invited me to attend a group coaching session that would take place the following week, so I would have the best opportunity to prepare for the case interviews. In the meantime, the next step was to schedule a 'soft' interview, where I'd work through a case with a Senior Implementation Leader and discuss my experience.

Although I did well in the case, I struggled with how to structure some of my experience questions the way they wanted (individual achievements, rather than team) and received some valuable feedback during the interview of how to structure my answers better.

Unfortunately, I received a phone call several hours later, informing me that they would not be progressing with my application. I received very little feedback, as it was a Recruiter that called me and not the interviewer, and there was no explanation given as to why the 'soft' interview resulted in such an abrupt finish. Shortly before I received the phone call, I had sent an email to the Recruitment Coordinator I was dealing with, to confirm the timing of the coaching session she had offered. I never received any further communication from McKinsey & Company.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly experience-based questions, followed by a case about field service operations and customer experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2008.

There is an initial resume scan - your resume needs to show leadership and academic performance. There is also an aptitude test.
    The first round of 3 interviews will be with associates and engagement managers - there will be in depth questions about an experience you have had. There will also be a case question which will require problem solving skills.

Interview Questions
    • How can we work out whether an online recruiting business should enter African markets   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2008.

- begins with the submission of a long list of application documents including but not limited to, resume, cover letter, essay
    - next comes an examination comprising a series of multiple choice questions that takes an hour to complete
    - following that are the series of interviews ( i went for 4 rounds of interviews) with 2 case study interviews

Non-negotiable

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2007.

In total I was interviewed by 11 different people over the period of about 2 months. Interviewers consisted of junior staff and firm Directors. I had three seperate interview dates which were mostly unstructured interviews. For two of the interviews I undertook worksample tasks.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult question on how to use statistics to determine how a compan should change its supply model   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interviewed as a senior in college. They expected that i attended the information session, which seemed sensible to me. The interview involved a case question, as well as ample time for questions at the end. The interviewer was just a few years out of college, and pulled from an office from the other coast.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
    Anonymous Employee in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2014.

I went to a recruitment event and later applied to the PST. After the PST I was called to the first round of interviews: 3 interviews, one of them in English. The first two were Personal Experience Interviews followed by business cases, the last one was just the case. I didn't pass to the second round of interviews but I received a call with some feedback and tips for improving.

Interview Questions
    • The PEI questions were the most difficult: Tell me about some situation in witch you disagreed with someone and Tell me about a project that you'd lead   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2014.

I got an invite for the first round and it is the Problem Solving Test and Group Interview workshop about 2 weeks after the resume deadline.
    PST
    I've heard that during this round, the PST is what they are primarily judging you on. There is an unknown cut off score (rumors about it range from 60-70%) for a pretty challenging test 26 questions in 60 minutes. They have 3 practice tests online with answer keys. Some of the questions are like GMAT integrated reasoning questions but they're not exactly the same.
    Group interview
    There's a lot of variability among the group interviews depending on your interviewer. My first one would ask the same question to all of us but would rotate the order in which he asked us questions. My second one asked questions but would pick a random person from the group to answer the question and then ask if any of the rest of us had questions.
    I've heard that the group interview part is just to make sure that you can work on teams (so it's good to add on to other people's answers and synthesize what's been said). I'm not sure how much the group interview part counts especially since for my second one: half of us got math questions, the other half got strategy questions so I'd imagine it's mainly to give people who move onto the second round feedback.
    Generally, it was a very organized and structured experience. I really appreciate how quick the turnaround time was- I found out two days after my test that I didn't make it to the next round.

Interview Questions
    • A company wants to increase its profit by 10%. How many of its mid market product does it need to convert to its lower market product to reach this target and is it reasonable?   Answer Question

Engagement Manager Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

Based on a very structured case and behavioral interview. You need to be well prepared for the business case section to get in. There is no secret sauce other than practice and confidence in delivery. On the behavioral you need to have a clear and articulate story where you created impact.

Interview Questions
    • the case is well structured with analytics, conceptual question and quantitative section.   Answer Question

Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2014.

I managed to get an interview with McKinsey through an alumni. I was very fortunate since McKinsey does not recruit at my school. However, since I did not want to pursue a career in consulting, I never practiced how to interview for a consulting role (ie. case study interviews). I ended up having to cram this knowledge in a week for my phone case interview and a week for my on-site interview.

Process started with a call with the recruiter. Everything was very courteous, professional and on a timely manner. After my call with the recruiter, I was set up for a practice phone case interview with a former associate from McKinsey. There I was able to mess up and received feedback on how to improve, Then I had my real phone case interview a few days later. It was pretty straight forward (read up on McKinsey's interview format, since it's a bit different than other firms). I passed that and was invited to go to Chicago for two case interviews and two behavioral interviews.

I flew to Chicago, where McKinsey put my in a nice hotel right by the office. They also had me set up a credit card so I can charge food and taxi rides on, which was pretty cool. Next day was my interviews, which again was the same format. 30 minutes behavior interview and 30 minute case interview with one interviewer. Then the same for the second interviewer. I messed up on the quant for my second interviewer (see below.) After that, I had to do my Problem Solving Test (PST), which was brutal. As far as I know and heard, everyone struggles with the PST.

Unfortunately, I was not invited back for my final on-site interview (with the directors and partners). They were quick to provide feedback (mine recruiter actually was late by a few days, but still within a week). Feedback was that I had solid stories to tell on my behavior interviews but was weak on quant.

Still, due to their professionalism and quick response, I had a positive experience interviewing with McKinsey.

Interview Questions
    • Case study: Where I was to determine how much one factory needed to produce X to have the equivalent cost to tons produced ratio as another factory. Graph was given of costs (fixed and variable) vs tons produced of both factories.   View Answer

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!