McKinsey & Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Melbourne

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2012.

Interview Details Submit resume, CV, transcript around first week of university. Follow up with two rounds of two one on one interviews - needing success in the first round of two to progress to the next round of two. Each round had a case study - classic unstructured discussion of some difficult to estimate finance or economics question. If you study maths, be warned that you should brush up on your arithmetic, because they will punish you if you make a mistake in a calculation when you come from a maths background.

Interview Question – Estimate the economics of building a new library. The question was a classic case study.. but the way it was given was very strange - the interviewer seemed to be intentionally impatient, short and sharp with her answers, avoiding eye contact, and overall displaying quite aggressive body language.   View Answer

McKinsey Implementation Interview

McKinsey Implementation
Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

Interview Details My initial interactions with the firm were very professional. However, once they had decided I didn't make the cut, it was as though I never existed.

My first interview was a behavioural/experience based interview, where I was asked a few questions around my experience and fit with McKinsey, specifically with McKinsey Implementation. They explained to me that there would be 6-8 case interviews following this initial meeting, and offered case coaching over the phone with an Associate in America to help prepare me for the case interview process.

After going through a case during the coaching session, I received feedback that my performance overall was satisfactory, and they offered me additional resources (structured written cases) to help prepare some more. The Recruitment Coordinator also invited me to attend a group coaching session that would take place the following week, so I would have the best opportunity to prepare for the case interviews. In the meantime, the next step was to schedule a 'soft' interview, where I'd work through a case with a Senior Implementation Leader and discuss my experience.

Although I did well in the case, I struggled with how to structure some of my experience questions the way they wanted (individual achievements, rather than team) and received some valuable feedback during the interview of how to structure my answers better.

Unfortunately, I received a phone call several hours later, informing me that they would not be progressing with my application. I received very little feedback, as it was a Recruiter that called me and not the interviewer, and there was no explanation given as to why the 'soft' interview resulted in such an abrupt finish. Shortly before I received the phone call, I had sent an email to the Recruitment Coordinator I was dealing with, to confirm the timing of the coaching session she had offered. I never received any further communication from McKinsey & Company.

Interview Question – Mostly experience-based questions, followed by a case about field service operations and customer experience.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Sydney

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2008.

Interview Details There is an initial resume scan - your resume needs to show leadership and academic performance. There is also an aptitude test.
The first round of 3 interviews will be with associates and engagement managers - there will be in depth questions about an experience you have had. There will also be a case question which will require problem solving skills.

Interview Question – How can we work out whether an online recruiting business should enter African markets   Answer Question

Research Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2008.

Interview Details - begins with the submission of a long list of application documents including but not limited to, resume, cover letter, essay
- next comes an examination comprising a series of multiple choice questions that takes an hour to complete
- following that are the series of interviews ( i went for 4 rounds of interviews) with 2 case study interviews

Interview Question – Case Study Questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Sydney

The process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2007.

Interview Details In total I was interviewed by 11 different people over the period of about 2 months. Interviewers consisted of junior staff and firm Directors. I had three seperate interview dates which were mostly unstructured interviews. For two of the interviews I undertook worksample tasks.

Interview Question – Difficult question on how to use statistics to determine how a compan should change its supply model   View Answer

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details Applied online without expecting any answer back. After all, it's McKinsey! Got an invitation to a resume screening a month later and then called in to take the PST at McKinsey office in NY. PST is difficult, especially if you haven't done any math in awhile (like me). Somehow I passed, got invited to first round of interviews. 3 interviews one hour each. Interviewers are extremely nice and helps you to be relaxed. They'll ask you about your interests, but don't get TOO relaxed. Expect random case study questions based on your interests. Case study is not just with one person, but expect to do a case study for all 3. Didn't make it to the final round, but still a great experience! Extremely respectable firm and you can tell that people here are extremely intelligent and will motivate and challenge you.

Interview Question – Determine the bell curve for the music records industry in the next 8 years   Answer Question

Insight Program Interview

Insight Program

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details After the CV submission, they followed up in two weeks. They set up a phone interview with 1-week window to choose. The interview lasted for ~30 minutes. The first part was a 10 minute fit interview. The questions are like what is the reason you want to join McKinsey, why do you want to leave academia and so on. And then there was a 15 minute case interview. Then there was a 5 minute question session.

Interview Question – How many pills does one person take a day?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details I was being rehire so it was a simple process as i was known by the recruiters. The interview with the director was a regular interview, nothing special.

Interview Question – Don't recall any unexpected question   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Summer Business Analyst

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details Two interviews, both of them walking through a sample case. Everyone was really friendly and did their best to take the pressure off of you. Interviewers were nice, but fair. I thought their hiring methodology is well thought out and developed. The Toronto office is very spacious and the waiting area is well-furnished.

Interview Question – There were no real unexpected questions, no "brainteasers" or anything stupid like that.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details apply online.first round case: open business, behaviour handle conflict. very friendly staff. before interview was training by consultant. very effective and structured. case maths is very easy but points are creative

Interview Question – conflict   Answer Question

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!