McKinsey & Company

Updated 11 Dec 2014

3.9

McKinsey Implementation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

My initial interactions with the firm were very professional. However, once they had decided I didn't make the cut, it was as though I never existed.

My first interview was a behavioural/experience based interview, where I was asked a few questions around my experience and fit with McKinsey, specifically with McKinsey Implementation. They explained to me that there would be 6-8 case interviews following this initial meeting, and offered case coaching over the phone with an Associate in America to help prepare me for the case interview process.

After going through a case during the coaching session, I received feedback that my performance overall was satisfactory, and they offered me additional resources (structured written cases) to help prepare some more. The Recruitment Coordinator also invited me to attend a group coaching session that would take place the following week, so I would have the best opportunity to prepare for the case interviews. In the meantime, the next step was to schedule a 'soft' interview, where I'd work through a case with a Senior Implementation Leader and discuss my experience.

Although I did well in the case, I struggled with how to structure some of my experience questions the way they wanted (individual achievements, rather than team) and received some valuable feedback during the interview of how to structure my answers better.

Unfortunately, I received a phone call several hours later, informing me that they would not be progressing with my application. I received very little feedback, as it was a Recruiter that called me and not the interviewer, and there was no explanation given as to why the 'soft' interview resulted in such an abrupt finish. Shortly before I received the phone call, I had sent an email to the Recruitment Coordinator I was dealing with, to confirm the timing of the coaching session she had offered. I never received any further communication from McKinsey & Company.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly experience-based questions, followed by a case about field service operations and customer experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2012.

Submit resume, CV, transcript around first week of university. Follow up with two rounds of two one on one interviews - needing success in the first round of two to progress to the next round of two. Each round had a case study - classic unstructured discussion of some difficult to estimate finance or economics question. If you study maths, be warned that you should brush up on your arithmetic, because they will punish you if you make a mistake in a calculation when you come from a maths background.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the economics of building a new library. The question was a classic case study.. but the way it was given was very strange - the interviewer seemed to be intentionally impatient, short and sharp with her answers, avoiding eye contact, and overall displaying quite aggressive body language.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2008.

There is an initial resume scan - your resume needs to show leadership and academic performance. There is also an aptitude test.
    The first round of 3 interviews will be with associates and engagement managers - there will be in depth questions about an experience you have had. There will also be a case question which will require problem solving skills.

Interview Questions
    • How can we work out whether an online recruiting business should enter African markets   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2008.

- begins with the submission of a long list of application documents including but not limited to, resume, cover letter, essay
    - next comes an examination comprising a series of multiple choice questions that takes an hour to complete
    - following that are the series of interviews ( i went for 4 rounds of interviews) with 2 case study interviews

Non-negotiable

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2007.

In total I was interviewed by 11 different people over the period of about 2 months. Interviewers consisted of junior staff and firm Directors. I had three seperate interview dates which were mostly unstructured interviews. For two of the interviews I undertook worksample tasks.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult question on how to use statistics to determine how a compan should change its supply model   View Answer

Procurement Systems Interview

I got a called and held a quick phone interview, after which I was asked to come to the office. Once I got there, it seemed to me the person had no idea we had talked on the phone before and exchanged emails... Before I sat for the interview though, I was given an excel test, which I was first told I would have 30 minutes, but it turned out to be 20. I was also told I would be given a wonderlic test, but I was not given any. My overall impression is that the office is ran by very snobby people.

Associate Interview

Three Rounds of interviews:
    1st Round - test
    2nd Round - 2 case interviews + fit questions
    3rd Round - 3 case interviews + fit questions

Read website which has extensive explanations of interview process and practice cases. Get a hold of business school case books for further practice and refinement of structured problem solving techniques. Practice doing calculations by hand, short cuts, and doing calculations in front of people.

The feedback I received was that I was energetic, genuine, and seemed comfortable. Try not to be nervous. Also have structured responses for fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tech company wants to enter the healthcare space. You have a meeting with the client next week. How would you think about structuring this meeting.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Well organised process overal: pre-screening on CV, then PST; if successful at that stage, 2 rounds of interviews: first with more junior staff and eventually with partners; interviews are very flexible (i.e. no great emphasis on formalised competency questions) and cases are generally well structured and well delivered make them pleasant to work through. There is also a fast-track option if you have an exploding competitor offer - in my case, it took only 9 days from initial contact to final interview going through this track.

Interview Questions
    • At a tube station with 3 escalators, 2 are going up and only one is going down. Why is this efficient?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

hard process, wasn't what I expected. Important to network with people internally and learn more about industry. Every office does it differently I had to do a PST. Passed that with ease but failed at case studies.

Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2014.

* 1st Round interviews (3x 1hr 1:1-interview)
    Per interview:
    - 20min PEI
    - 40min case (interviewer-led style case/ 4 questions like the examples on the McK website)

* 2nd/Final Round interviews

Preparation:
    The preparation leading up to the first round of interviews was of an incredible level. They had me call McKinsey consultants from all over the world to help me prepare the case interview, to tell me about the intended position, to answer all of my questions, ...