Merrill Lynch

Updated 15 Dec 2014
Updated 15 Dec 2014

2.8

PMD Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Recruiter vetted me and made me take online tests after which landed me an in person interview in which they hired me on the spot. They want aggressive people who can cold call.

No negotiation

Intern Interview

I submitted my resume and received a phone interview promptly. There were two separate phone interviews which contrasted from each other. They lasted around 10 minutes each. Discussed the importance of cold calling and why you would be interested in Merrill Lynch.

Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Assessment centre:
    - Numerical test: very difficult, much more than typical online test
    - Group exercise: analyst investment opportunities for a fake bank; the exercise was followed by a presentation to the fake bank's board of directors.
    - 1:1 Presentation: Investment in either stocks/bond or sector
    - 3 1:1 interviews: both technical and competency based.

Intern Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

It was a very informal interview. A lot of behavioral questions. Mostly spoke about my cold calling experience and how I would be able to get clients in the door for them. Cold Called an alumni to get in the door to do a spring internship. Then took about 5 weeks to get back to me and I accepted on the spot. Overall a positive experience.

No negotiation

Job Related to the Chief Operating Officer Interview

They first hire an external HR to conduct a dynamic interview (with other candidates). After this phase, you talk to the BAML HR analyst. Finally, they place an interview with the COO.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult, however they do stick to what you say in your resumé, so they want to know how you improved the process of your last/current job, since it's a COO internship job related.   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

I applied through my school's recruiting through their online system. I had a first round of interviews on campus, then was invited to visit onsite (in New York). I had a couple interviews onsite, had to take a written test where they asked some questions like where I see the future of technology in banking.

TFA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

Initially applied online.

I have been on two interviews now and it seems like they are interested but there is no urgency. You just have to be patient the hiring process is very drawn out.

PMD Financial Adviser Trainee Interview

It starts with online financial aptitude test followed by interviews with senior advisors and branch manager. It includes discovery meetings where you will have a chance to understand what it is like to work for Merrill as a financial advisor.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really difficult or unexpected questions. The questions centered around on why you would want to become a financial advisor, probably because I was coming from a different industry.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Merrill Lynch.

The process began with me contacting and sending my resume to the branch manager. From there he forwarded my information to an area recruiter. My process with the recruiter began with creating an applicant profile and taking the FIAT. The FIAT consisted of algebraic questions, finance/econ questions, and some logic exercises. A day or two later the recruiter informed me that I passed the FIAT and we scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of questions related to my current work experience, education, reasons for applying, and plan for success as a FA. Following that interview the recruiter had me fill out disclosure forms and give consent to perform additional screening. I was then turned over to the local branch manager to schedule an interview. A meeting was scheduled and I met with the manager some days later for the high achiever interview. This interview consisted of the common pleasantries and questions of your standard interview. My resume was scrutinized as well as me selling myself for the position. It seemed to go well and I was further informed of how the process would unfold in the next stages. No directions or expectations were given after this interview. I waited for a couple of weeks without any communication and was informed by email that I was no longer being considered for the position. It was disappointing as the process seemed to go well but ultimately ended. The few people that I interacted with during the process were professional and helpful. My feeling is that I didn't do a convincing job of answering questions during the interview and that I lacked the sales and financial experience that they look for.

Interview Questions
    • What are some examples of your experience as a leader?   Answer Question

Junior Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Merrill Lynch.

F2F interview. This was for a junior BA position. Interviewer was hard to impress yet polite; respected the fact that I have been in the industry for only a couple years. Really likes to dig into your background; your resume, greatest accomplishments/ failures. A lot of situational questions were asked. She also wanted to get a feel for how committed I was and if I could work with minimal supervision.

Interview Questions
    • If the mayor were to decide to implement seat belts in public buses, as his/her secretary, what concerns/questions would you have?   Answer Question
    • Describe what goes on between the user and the system when you swipe your debit card at an ATM..   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you find yourself 2 weeks behind on your work schedule?   Answer Question
    • How would handle conflict between you and your peers/ bosses?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever found yourself taking the wrong path? What did you do?   Answer Question