MetLife Interview Questions

Updated 24 Oct 2014
Updated 24 Oct 2014

2.7

Programmer Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MetLife.

Applying to MetLife or An American HORROR Story PART TWO
    (Please read Part One)

Part Three:
    Received email from HR after submitting application. ....they might've fixed up the email template by this time, I don't remember. In the email, the HR person offered a date and time for an interview that wasn't good for me. I replied to the email and offered a window that worked better for me. I offered a 3-hour negotiable time frame (I said I was available Tuesday between 3 and 6) and asked the HR person to let me know what time works best for her. No response, she just went ahead and called at 3 on Tuesday. I wasn't expecting the call and I wasn't home at the time. I called her back, left a message with the hope of rescheduling the interview. No call back, apparently the Human Resources person's time is too precious to be a helpful resource to Humans.
    Part Four: Applied for a position with the MetLife Technical University program. Initial phone interview went great (it was a different person than the HR person associated with the first three scenarios). The next part of the process was an online assessment. It was a general aptitude test/
    No problem, I've taken them before and I was confident.....Well, I was confident until I took the test. The company that Metlife chose to perform the test is based in the UK. No big deal, right? No, not until I got to the section on converting measurements and money. Since it was a UK based assessment, the units were metric and the money was in pound notes. I wasn't too fluent with kilometers and I've never used pound notes, shillings, or pence in monetary transactions, so I had trouble. There were word problems like: "If Ian wants to travel from North Devonshire to Glastonbury within a fortnight, and travels at a rate of 35 kilometers per hour on the M1..." (OK, I might be exaggerating with that example). I also had trouble computing the number of shillings in a pound note and how many kilometers it would take to travel from Picadilly Square to the Prime Minister's office.
    Surprisingly, I passed the assessment and was sent an email to complete an application and select a date and time for a face-to-face interview. The email stated I would receive a confirmation email with location and directions once the application was received. I completed the application the same day, selected the time that worked best for me and eagerly awaited my reply. (Can you guess what happens next?) Nothing. No email confirmation. The company isn't very good on providing phone numbers for the HR dept. and the website didn't have any HR contact info. I called the person whom I had the initial phone interview with, left a VM to find out what's going on, but never heard back.

OK, if I don't get a job there that's fine, but I would like to know who do I contact at MetLife to get compensation for all the time and effort I WASTED on your stupid asinine application process(es), completing applications on your buggy website, dealing with your incompetent HR staff, and completing your ridiculous online test. Tell me upfront if you don't want to hire me or if you have reservations. Don't make me waste my time on all this junk. I've got better things to do
    And you have the nerve to use Snoopy as part of your logo!

Interview Questions
    • Online assessment test asking questions involving kilograms, kilometers and English pound notes was confusing.   Answer Question

Sales Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MetLife.

I was contacted by a recruiter and asked my reasons for wanting the position. After answer that, they invited me to have a phone interview. However, they never contacted to set up the phone interview. Then, they emailed me to have an on campus interview. When I showed up for the interview the recruiter had not written me down on her schedule, was unprepared and argued that we were not supposed to interview. We had the interview anyways although it was awkward because she was in the middle of lunch and did not have anything ready. Unsurprisingly, I ended up not getting another interview.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Came in as a referral. Initial interview and personality test. Follow up interview that I got Job. I have heard some have 3 interviews but I had the initial and then offer.

None

Investment Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MetLife.

First you go through a phone call interview with the head recruiter. It was all fit based questions and they ask questions related to what you want to do. The superday was 3 one on one interviews. All fit questions to see if you are driven. Resume based questions for the phone call and superday.

Investment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MetLife.

Applied through University. Process took 2 weeks

Met with a manager who had been with Metlife for over a decade. Interview was pure behavioral questions, walk me through your resume, etc, as well as some canned questions (Do you consider yourself a team player, give me your greatest accomplishment, do you have sponsorship to work in the US, etc.)

Did extremely well, built rapport, got the interviewer smiling as well as saying "I agree with you" multiple times. Did not proceed to second round interviews, and emailed the manager asking for feedback.

I was told I hadn't progressed due to expressing interest in moving back to Texas after a decade or so- my interviewer told me Metlife doesn't like training employees only to see them eventually leave. This must also be why the Analyst position is four years instead of 2-3. If you get an interview, tell them you plan on staying in NYC-NJ for the rest of your life, and with Metlife.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to go buy-side instead of sell-side?   View Answer

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MetLife.

Interviewed with the Sales Manager. Normal interview questions. Had an online financial test. background check. fingerprinted. Not a difficult interview. reviewed resume. why do you leave former employers? About one hour long.

No negotiation. Commission based job

Inside Sales Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MetLife.

Phone interview by outside recruiter, appointment at the MetLife offices by sales supervisor, offer from the recruiter. Interview at offices was long, two hours, but did not include a tour of the facility as it was "confidential" and not available to tour. Long and in-depth background check, drug screening.

Interview Questions
    No wage negotiation, hard to reach commission levels due to increase in hiring nationwide. Pay attention to the work hours.

MTU Tech Associate Infrastructure/Network Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MetLife in October 2014.

Phone screening followed by an online assessment. Once you pass the online assessment you are considered for an in person interview. Online assessment consisted of three sections. Mathematics, matching, and values.

Interview Questions
    • Online assessment was timed. Some of the problems in mathematics section were challenging.   View Answer

Broker Interview

The interviewing process is not difficult. Being self motivated in this position is the key to being successful. They look for someone who can work on their own. Being friendly and a people person is so important. working in this industry it isn't just about selling products and making the numbers but it is about helping people, which is Metlife goal.

Account Manager III Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MetLife.

I was not living in the area at the time that I applied for the position. Therefore, I had two phone interviews and a personal interview once I moved to the area four weeks later. The first phone interview as a simple interview verifying my resume and contact information. The second phone interview was shorter than I had expected. I was not asked very many questions, and felt the interviewer was not really paying attention to my answers. However, when I followed up once I moved into the area, a third personal interview was scheduled. I was very pleased with that interview, as the professionalism expressed by the interviewer was impressive. She explained the new program the company was moving towards, which I would be a part of. She asked several behavioral questions as well as time management and customer service questions (What would you do if..., Have you ever..., Give me an example...). The interview was very comfortable and I felt pretty confident when I left that I would be offered the position based on my experience and my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you had a client requesting an issue to be corrected in a short period of time. What did you do?   View Answer
    I had another job offer with more pay. I countered by stating I preferred to go with MetLife if they could meet the other amount. Within two hours they accepted my counter.