MetLife

Updated 23 Nov 2014
Updated 23 Nov 2014

2.7

Programmer Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MetLife.

Applying to MetLife or An American HORROR Story PART TWO
    (Please read Part One)

Part Three:
    Received email from HR after submitting application. ....they might've fixed up the email template by this time, I don't remember. In the email, the HR person offered a date and time for an interview that wasn't good for me. I replied to the email and offered a window that worked better for me. I offered a 3-hour negotiable time frame (I said I was available Tuesday between 3 and 6) and asked the HR person to let me know what time works best for her. No response, she just went ahead and called at 3 on Tuesday. I wasn't expecting the call and I wasn't home at the time. I called her back, left a message with the hope of rescheduling the interview. No call back, apparently the Human Resources person's time is too precious to be a helpful resource to Humans.
    Part Four: Applied for a position with the MetLife Technical University program. Initial phone interview went great (it was a different person than the HR person associated with the first three scenarios). The next part of the process was an online assessment. It was a general aptitude test/
    No problem, I've taken them before and I was confident.....Well, I was confident until I took the test. The company that Metlife chose to perform the test is based in the UK. No big deal, right? No, not until I got to the section on converting measurements and money. Since it was a UK based assessment, the units were metric and the money was in pound notes. I wasn't too fluent with kilometers and I've never used pound notes, shillings, or pence in monetary transactions, so I had trouble. There were word problems like: "If Ian wants to travel from North Devonshire to Glastonbury within a fortnight, and travels at a rate of 35 kilometers per hour on the M1..." (OK, I might be exaggerating with that example). I also had trouble computing the number of shillings in a pound note and how many kilometers it would take to travel from Picadilly Square to the Prime Minister's office.
    Surprisingly, I passed the assessment and was sent an email to complete an application and select a date and time for a face-to-face interview. The email stated I would receive a confirmation email with location and directions once the application was received. I completed the application the same day, selected the time that worked best for me and eagerly awaited my reply. (Can you guess what happens next?) Nothing. No email confirmation. The company isn't very good on providing phone numbers for the HR dept. and the website didn't have any HR contact info. I called the person whom I had the initial phone interview with, left a VM to find out what's going on, but never heard back.

OK, if I don't get a job there that's fine, but I would like to know who do I contact at MetLife to get compensation for all the time and effort I WASTED on your stupid asinine application process(es), completing applications on your buggy website, dealing with your incompetent HR staff, and completing your ridiculous online test. Tell me upfront if you don't want to hire me or if you have reservations. Don't make me waste my time on all this junk. I've got better things to do
    And you have the nerve to use Snoopy as part of your logo!

Interview Questions
    • Online assessment test asking questions involving kilograms, kilometers and English pound notes was confusing.   Answer Question

Underwriting Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MetLife.

Panel.interview. Basic scenario questions. .tell me about a time when....They were specific about when they would be making their decision and it I received a call about the time they specified. Overall one the easier interviews ive had.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to help someone else with an assignment.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MetLife.

Interview involved answering a text book case study question which I was totally unprepared for. I don't expect to be called back. Apparently, interview is in 2 steps. First technical, then behavioral. If u dont make the first part, you wont be called for the behavioural

Sales Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at MetLife.

Had one in person, on campus interview. Need to be very interested in sales for this job. If you're not, they will be able to tell and will not offer you the position.

MTU Technical University Software Developer Interview

Phone interview first, Simple behavioral based questions. The HR person was very nice and easy to talk to. then there is an online assessment. If the online assessment is passed, then there is another face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your view of diversity and why it is important   Answer Question

Technical Associate for MTU Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MetLife.

The first was an easy introductory interview asking basic background questions. They then had me take an online assessment. The final round was to be a 3-hour visit at their Durhan, NC location but I wasn't in the local area so I opted out for a video/phone interview. Though they said it was a technical interview, I was not asked any technical questions; it was mainly behavioral questions framed in what technologies I used for the project I was describing.
    It was a nice experience overall though. All of the interviewers I spoke with were really nice.

Interview Questions
    • Name some of the analytical tools you used to define problem scopes.   View Answer

Assistant Vice President Role Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MetLife.

Very cordial people - all promising and positive discussions leading to a verbal offer which I agreed to. People in NYC and bridgewater very interested in types of jobs and opportunities I might be interested in which led to discussion with 2 hiring managers for potential job fit. Only one hiring manager followed through with next step interview. All went well until final week after negotiations...

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions around strengths and areas of development opportunity   Answer Question

Senior Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at MetLife in November 2014.

Submitted my resume on MetLife.com, then was emailed a few weeks later for a phone screening. The phone screening was about an hour and was a run down of the job description, pay, training, and requirements, as well as some basic behavior questions and review of resume. I then did a test which was about and hour and a half. The test is pretty easy if you have experience in a call center. I personally had a technical issue with the letters showing up if I typed too fast which slowed my typing speed, but luckily I passed. I was then contacted the next day for an interview that afternoon. I sat in with the manager and was asked a few questions and was told what to expect while working there and then was offered the position. A few days later I had to do a background and drug test which was a bit tedious but everything went through fine.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to go out of your way for a customer?   View Answer
    There was no negotiations. The pay is pretty good, with bonuses and great benefits.

Sustainability Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MetLife.

The process took about three weeks in total. It began with one pre-interview (HR phone call). This was just a screening phone call, and was very easy. Then one in-person interview with two staff members in the Bridgewater office. This interview lasted about one hour. It was straightforward without any unexpected questions.

Sales Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MetLife.

I was contacted by a recruiter and asked my reasons for wanting the position. After answer that, they invited me to have a phone interview. However, they never contacted to set up the phone interview. Then, they emailed me to have an on campus interview. When I showed up for the interview the recruiter had not written me down on her schedule, was unprepared and argued that we were not supposed to interview. We had the interview anyways although it was awkward because she was in the middle of lunch and did not have anything ready. Unsurprisingly, I ended up not getting another interview.