Michaels Stores Interview Questions

Updated 15 Oct 2014

2.0

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

The interview process consist of two interviews. One with the assistant manager and then the store manager. They ask behavior questions. They also explain to you what your role would be at the store.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. They were behavioral, you just need to prepare for them.   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

Filled an online application which was fairly easy - a lot of personality questions (strongly agree, disagree, etc.). I got a call within the next week if I'm still interested in the position (which I did) and if I would like to schedule an interview two days after. Interview was very nice, manager was friendly, very interested in me (I'm from Europe, moved to the US couple of months ago). Standard questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle difficult customers (I had no prior experience)   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

It was a bit strange. Filled out an online application, you couldn't just go in and get one. The application included a personality test (strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, strongly agree) which was pretty straightforward. It tried to get you to contradict yourself in a few places - just stick to your guns and act like you're a shining example of excellence. About 3 days later, I got a call to come in for an interview the next day. I practiced questions/answers and was ready to give a pretty good interview. Went in and waited about 15 minutes until they were done interviewing another woman. She called me in. She looked over my application and realized I had went to the same local high-school as her daughter. Turns out I knew her, along with another person that worked in the store. After that, there were no questions. She spent about 10 minutes discussing the job duties and then told me to call the following week for my schedule. She was real nice but seemed tired. She talked about the "big boss" and how he was hard to deal with. Anyway, I called and was given a day to come in for paper-signing/official hiring and god my schedule for the next week during the same call.

Interview Questions
    She said it was usually 7.30 per hour but was trying to get the boss man to go for 8. I nodded like a bobble-head and we moved on. No real negotiation.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2014.

The application process is done through peoplesoft program and includes a personality assessment portion. I interviewed at a couple locations and interview questions were similar and standard questions (weaknesses, strengths, what is customer service to you?) The first interview lasted less than 5 minutes (I had to wait for the manager to get there because he was late) and the other ran longer approximately 20-30 minutes.

Make good eye contact and have a positive disposition and you will get the job :)

Interview Questions
    Not able to negotiate pay, regardless of prior experience. There is a set pay scale for the corporation based heavily on sales.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

The interview process was rather simple. I was asked a few questions about my school hobbies and such, a lot of character questions. I applied for sales associate, but instead I was interviewed for helping set up the new store. This wasn't really a big deal for me since I was going to work the same hours and make 8 dollars, for not having any prior experience, I was happy with that. I was told I got the job, but never received a second call back.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions. I was surprised how informal the whole thing felt.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

This may be an oddball experience, but an old acquaintance of mine was a manager (I had no idea she even worked here) and just so happened to come across my application. I didn't know she would be conducting the interview, much less that she even worked at the store, until I walked in the interviewing room. It was pretty awkward. She had a packet with several formulaic interview questions, such that assess one's customer service skill and behavior ("Describe a time when you had to help an angry customer" or "Do you enjoy working as part of a team?", plenty of "Why or why not?" questions, etc.). But because she knew me, she skipped over a lot of them. Lasted around 5 to 10 minutes. I got a happy call about 1 week later.

Interview Questions
    • Not so much a particular question that was difficult or unexpected, just the overall scenario of the interview.   View Answer
    She called about 1 week later and said, "Uh, we'd like you to be here next Monday for orientation. Is that cool?" and I was like, "Yeah, I guess."

Framing Manager Interview

Pretty straightforward, I applied internally from another position. I completed a phone interview with the district manager as she was out of town. I then Interviewed with current manager and the assistant manager together the same day. I was told about the increase in pay and offered the job two days later.

Interview Questions
    • None. All were pretty much expected. Mostly dealing with employees and interacting with customers. Brush up on company policies if you are unfamiliar.   Answer Question
    There was not really any negotiation. The pay scale was based on my current pay and then raised according to how much higher the management position was from that.

Sales Associate/Cashier/Replenishment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Habra, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Habra, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I was surprised by a group interview, the last time I went (2-4 years ago) they only used to do one on one interviews. So be prepared for that. Also, they will ask everyone different questions, try to stay calm and try to think of multiple ways of answering. Make yourself sound resourceful, I made the mistake of answering too quickly because I was a little nervous. The interviewers try to be friendly and remind you to smile the entire time. Try to avoid saying "Um" "Like" a lot. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • If you're not keeping up, what do you do?   View Answer

Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

One on one interview - basic questions. As long as you are comfortable doing physical work. Make sure you mention that. Make sure to answer clearly and positively, and that you are available at night. They'll ask if you know the basic tasks and if you can accomplish lifting, loading, climbing, and lots of walking.

Replenishment Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in September 2014.

I was transferred to my current store and the interview process was minimal. I wasn't asked much of anything except for what hours I was working at my old store. It was more about telling me how the current store was running, and about how their current replenishment team was doing.