Michaels Stores Interview Questions

Updated 23 Oct 2014
Updated 23 Oct 2014

2.0

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

I applied online and went into an hour-long group interview. I was only there with two other interviewees and a manager and supervisor were there to interview us. They asked us if we had already filled out the application (which we all had) and then they had us write down our names and the position we were interested in. The two ladies who were interviewing us were super nice and funny and laidback, which was good. They basically just explained each job description and talking a little about the different classes that they offered for different positions. We then played two truths and a lie, which I really wasn't expecting. And then after that, they just explained some stuff more and asked if we had any questions, which they were good about answering.

Interview Questions
    • We weren't really asked any questions. It was mostly them talking and us asking some clarifying questions about different positions and hours.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. That part was also pretty straightforward and quick. They called a few days after the group interview and asked if I wanted the job. I said yes, and I went in the following Friday to get set up.

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

The interview process consist of two interviews. One with the assistant manager and then the store manager. They ask behavior questions. They also explain to you what your role would be at the store.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. They were behavioral, you just need to prepare for them.   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

Filled an online application which was fairly easy - a lot of personality questions (strongly agree, disagree, etc.). I got a call within the next week if I'm still interested in the position (which I did) and if I would like to schedule an interview two days after. Interview was very nice, manager was friendly, very interested in me (I'm from Europe, moved to the US couple of months ago). Standard questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle difficult customers (I had no prior experience)   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

It was a bit strange. Filled out an online application, you couldn't just go in and get one. The application included a personality test (strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, strongly agree) which was pretty straightforward. It tried to get you to contradict yourself in a few places - just stick to your guns and act like you're a shining example of excellence. About 3 days later, I got a call to come in for an interview the next day. I practiced questions/answers and was ready to give a pretty good interview. Went in and waited about 15 minutes until they were done interviewing another woman. She called me in. She looked over my application and realized I had went to the same local high-school as her daughter. Turns out I knew her, along with another person that worked in the store. After that, there were no questions. She spent about 10 minutes discussing the job duties and then told me to call the following week for my schedule. She was real nice but seemed tired. She talked about the "big boss" and how he was hard to deal with. Anyway, I called and was given a day to come in for paper-signing/official hiring and god my schedule for the next week during the same call.

Interview Questions
    She said it was usually 7.30 per hour but was trying to get the boss man to go for 8. I nodded like a bobble-head and we moved on. No real negotiation.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2014.

Applied online after a newspaper ad got passed around encouraging people to apply for seasonal positions. After about 2-3 weeks I got a call from my local store's hiring department asking if I was still interested, and if the hours I said I was available for were still accurate. I said they were, and was invited to come in for an interview a few days later. If I could have every single job interview I'll ever have to do go like it did, I'll die happy. I was sat in a small back room with two employees and it was more casual than I was expecting, very warm and friendly people. I mentioned all the crafting hobbies I have and they seemed very interested in that. 20-ish minutes later I was done, and literally three hours later I got a call back offering a position, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    Interviewer was very firm that pay would be minimum wage, with the possibility of a raise if I got hired full-time.

Seasonal Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2014.

This was a group interview. It was scheduled for 11:00, but for some reason the interviewer started 15 minutes early and treated on time arrivals as though they were holding her up. We were, also asked detailed questions involving company policies we had no way of answering. We made our best answers, only to be repeatedly told, "that's not store policy". After the third such question, the interviewer remarked that she didn't shop at Joann's, only Michaels.

Interview Questions
    • The oddest question was, "What would you do if a customer handed you a $50 or $100 for a $3-$5 purchase? We expect you to show some common sense here,"   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2014.

The application process is done through peoplesoft program and includes a personality assessment portion. I interviewed at a couple locations and interview questions were similar and standard questions (weaknesses, strengths, what is customer service to you?) The first interview lasted less than 5 minutes (I had to wait for the manager to get there because he was late) and the other ran longer approximately 20-30 minutes.

Make good eye contact and have a positive disposition and you will get the job :)

Interview Questions
    Not able to negotiate pay, regardless of prior experience. There is a set pay scale for the corporation based heavily on sales.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Park, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Park, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores in October 2014.

I applied online and received a call about setting up an interview two days later. I missed the call and wasn't able to schedule an interview until the next day. Two days after the initial call, I interviewed in person with the manager. We talked about my previous experience and whether I had retail or customer service experience. I was hired on the spot for a receiver position, not a cashier position, but with the possibility of being a cashier at a later date.

Interview Questions
    I was offered a receiving position. Salary is non negotiable but I got a higher rate of pay than the average starting employee because of my previous experience.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Michaels Stores.

The interview process was rather simple. I was asked a few questions about my school hobbies and such, a lot of character questions. I applied for sales associate, but instead I was interviewed for helping set up the new store. This wasn't really a big deal for me since I was going to work the same hours and make 8 dollars, for not having any prior experience, I was happy with that. I was told I got the job, but never received a second call back.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions. I was surprised how informal the whole thing felt.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Michaels Stores.

This may be an oddball experience, but an old acquaintance of mine was a manager (I had no idea she even worked here) and just so happened to come across my application. I didn't know she would be conducting the interview, much less that she even worked at the store, until I walked in the interviewing room. It was pretty awkward. She had a packet with several formulaic interview questions, such that assess one's customer service skill and behavior ("Describe a time when you had to help an angry customer" or "Do you enjoy working as part of a team?", plenty of "Why or why not?" questions, etc.). But because she knew me, she skipped over a lot of them. Lasted around 5 to 10 minutes. I got a happy call about 1 week later.

Interview Questions
    • Not so much a particular question that was difficult or unexpected, just the overall scenario of the interview.   View Answer
    She called about 1 week later and said, "Uh, we'd like you to be here next Monday for orientation. Is that cool?" and I was like, "Yeah, I guess."