Microsoft

Getting the Interview

23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hardware Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview Details Got an on-campus interview by submitting resume through campus job fair. Interview last for 30mins. Questions including: RC circuits, high-pass low-pass, ideal opamp gain. build latch with NAND gates.

Interview Question – latch question   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Interviewed on campus

Interview Question – Explain theory of dipole moments.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Interview Details One round on campus about 45 min, one final round on site. 4 or 5 interviews in a row.

Interview Question – ask about set-up and hold time, ask what's fast possible clock frequency.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Travel was paid for and very easy to schedule. Interview consisted of 3-4 one on one interviews with people from different teams within the division. Asked mainly technical questions, testing questions and software questions. I don't remember being asked any behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Favorite sorting algorithm?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details It takes a long time for recruiters to get back to interviewers. I took 5 weeks before they told me they hired someone else.

Also, be ready to talk pretty much all day and not really get to eat lunch. I was pretty exhausted by the time 6PM rolled around, and I'd started at 10AM. Also, be very prepared to answer questions about your school projects.

Interview Question – A single-elimination tennis tournament has n teams. How many games will be played before there is a winner?   View Answers (3)

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details applied via college info event. wrote a nice cover letter to HR and he forwarded me a chance for phone interview.

phone interview setup with application. interview consist of Mech E asking me how i solve problems and how would I ask for help

then i waited 2 weeks and email invitation to Seattle.

4 interviews, however, i only had 3 technical and 1 HR. i realized when I only had 1 HR interview; i was on the short end?

Interview Question – explain monte carlo method   Answer Question

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Interview Details Started the process by applying through my campus recruiting website. I was contacted by a campus recruiter for MS and was invited for an on-campus screening. The interviewer was an engineer for the Surface team, and asked me a variety of relatively basic/intermediate circuit analysis questions as well as design questions. Some questions that were asked involved a voltage clipper circuit, BJT amplifiers, and some digital logic.

A couple weeks after this interview, they contacted me for a final round at the MS headquarters in Redmond, WA. Since I lived within ~15 miles I opted to drive there myself, though they did offer plane/hotel accommodations for out of state applicants. Once I got there, I was briefed by a different recruiter who explained that I would be in 3-5 interviews with engineers from the Xbox team.

The interview process was very straightforward, and all of the engineers I talked to were extremely friendly and put me at ease. Mostly I was surprised at the lack of technical and puzzle questions throughout the interview (I got asked more technical questions during the screening). The first interviewer asked me to explain several transistor/op amp type circuits and asked detailed questions about some of my previous projects in school. The second interviewer was very laid back and asked general questions about my background and why I wanted to work there. After this, I had a lunch interview (yes, I had to answer all sorts of behavioral questions in between chews) and then met with the 4th. I guess I met expectations at this point, because my next interviewer was the hiring manager who oversaw the division. He asked me some tough questions about my background (probably to make sure I was really qualified) and then answered a lot of questions I had about the role.

About 5 days later I got a call from the recruiter saying that I got the position! The manager also sent me an email congratulating me.

Interview Question – What were some design tradeoffs you have made with a project? How did you make the decision and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Had no basis or need for negotiation. Other offers from big name companies were well below this offer.

Mountain View, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Interview Details The on-site interview is very much, pure technical. The question is basically related with my resume, which implies if the resume do not get their interest, I will not get this chance for interview. There are 4 round of interview, in each of session, there is one interviewer discuss with me about my research or related area.

Interview Question – What does your interaction with the industry help you to learn?   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details From University Career fair, I invited to interview at my school

Interview Question – They gave me a RC circuit, and ask me to find rise and fall time.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I first had an interview on campus for the hardware Engineering position. It was a very general interview where I was asked questions about experiences and course projects I'd listed on my resume. At the end of it, I was asked what kind of position within the hardware division I was interested in and I opted for Firmware/Embedded Systems.

I was called for the onsite interview. It was a five round interview process where I interviewed with people from the xbox and surface teams. I was expecting firmware type questions and most of my questions were circuit design/VLSI type questions. There were some puzzles thrown in as well. Overall, I thought the interview process was pretty simple and straight forward but they were looking to hire someone who was not looking at working on something in particular. They were looking for a well rounded Electrical Engineer who could fill the PCB design, Digital Design and Firmware Engineering roles all with ease.

I was given a transistor circuit and I was asked to find the current flowing through one of the resistors.

Interview Questions

• Write a program in the language of your choice to shuffle a deck of cards. And how would you do it without using the rand function?   Answer Question
  • Write a Program to reverse the order of a linked list using recursions.   Answer Question
  • I was given a transistor circuit in common base mode and was asked to find the current flowing through one of the resisters.   Answer Question
  • Write a program to count the number of bits that are '1' a 32 bit integer.   Answer Question
Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Hardware Engineer interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.