Microsoft Hardware Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.3

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Hardware Engineer Interview

The process is very simple. By the way, this interview is in school. It should take around 30 minutes, but for me it took only around 20 minutes. It is very straight forward. Three questions are waiting for you. From the point view of today, the questions are quite simple. All about transistors and gates.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Got an on-campus interview by submitting resume through campus job fair. Interview last for 30mins. Questions including: RC circuits, high-pass low-pass, ideal opamp gain. build latch with NAND gates.

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interviewed on campus

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

One round on campus about 45 min, one final round on site. 4 or 5 interviews in a row.

Interview Questions
    • ask about set-up and hold time, ask what's fast possible clock frequency.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Travel was paid for and very easy to schedule. Interview consisted of 3-4 one on one interviews with people from different teams within the division. Asked mainly technical questions, testing questions and software questions. I don't remember being asked any behavioral questions.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

It takes a long time for recruiters to get back to interviewers. I took 5 weeks before they told me they hired someone else.

Also, be ready to talk pretty much all day and not really get to eat lunch. I was pretty exhausted by the time 6PM rolled around, and I'd started at 10AM. Also, be very prepared to answer questions about your school projects.

Interview Questions
    • A single-elimination tennis tournament has n teams. How many games will be played before there is a winner?   View Answers (3)

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

applied via college info event. wrote a nice cover letter to HR and he forwarded me a chance for phone interview.

phone interview setup with application. interview consist of Mech E asking me how i solve problems and how would I ask for help

then i waited 2 weeks and email invitation to Seattle.

4 interviews, however, i only had 3 technical and 1 HR. i realized when I only had 1 HR interview; i was on the short end?

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Started the process by applying through my campus recruiting website. I was contacted by a campus recruiter for MS and was invited for an on-campus screening. The interviewer was an engineer for the Surface team, and asked me a variety of relatively basic/intermediate circuit analysis questions as well as design questions. Some questions that were asked involved a voltage clipper circuit, BJT amplifiers, and some digital logic.

A couple weeks after this interview, they contacted me for a final round at the MS headquarters in Redmond, WA. Since I lived within ~15 miles I opted to drive there myself, though they did offer plane/hotel accommodations for out of state applicants. Once I got there, I was briefed by a different recruiter who explained that I would be in 3-5 interviews with engineers from the Xbox team.

The interview process was very straightforward, and all of the engineers I talked to were extremely friendly and put me at ease. Mostly I was surprised at the lack of technical and puzzle questions throughout the interview (I got asked more technical questions during the screening). The first interviewer asked me to explain several transistor/op amp type circuits and asked detailed questions about some of my previous projects in school. The second interviewer was very laid back and asked general questions about my background and why I wanted to work there. After this, I had a lunch interview (yes, I had to answer all sorts of behavioral questions in between chews) and then met with the 4th. I guess I met expectations at this point, because my next interviewer was the hiring manager who oversaw the division. He asked me some tough questions about my background (probably to make sure I was really qualified) and then answered a lot of questions I had about the role.

About 5 days later I got a call from the recruiter saying that I got the position! The manager also sent me an email congratulating me.

Interview Questions
    • What were some design tradeoffs you have made with a project? How did you make the decision and why?   Answer Question
    Had no basis or need for negotiation. Other offers from big name companies were well below this offer.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

The on-site interview is very much, pure technical. The question is basically related with my resume, which implies if the resume do not get their interest, I will not get this chance for interview. There are 4 round of interview, in each of session, there is one interviewer discuss with me about my research or related area.

Interview Questions
    • What does your interaction with the industry help you to learn?   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

From University Career fair, I invited to interview at my school

Interview Questions
    • They gave me a RC circuit, and ask me to find rise and fall time.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!