Microsoft Intern Interview Questions

3.1

169 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Had 4 interviews. The first interview was about testing, the second interview was about coding two algorithms, the third interview was about testing a specific function and then implementing that function. The interviewers were very nice and helpful. They were very approachable and gave good hints in order to solve the problem.

Interview Questions
  • Given an integer number, implement the toString() function of that number.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Got selected for an interview with Microsoft through a career fair in college. The interview was held in my college's campus and it lasted for 30 mins. It was A technical round. No behavioral questions asked. I was asked about my previous job experience only. No other behavioral questions asked. The interviewer was pretty cool and was helpful. While solving the problem, when I was stuck, the interviewer gave me certain hints and clues to get to the solution. It was more like a discussion.

Interview Questions
    • For a given anagram find the longest palindrome in it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Copenhagen (Denmark)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Copenhagen (Denmark)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

On-campus interview followed up by an on-site interview. The on-campus was ok. I was asked some questions about linked-list and some algorithms to manipulate them. The on-site interview had been ok until one guy asked my hard-core questions about C/C++ (the malloc function). I guessed that was the reason that I did not pass. The next guy asked me to design the battleship game and he obviously seemed to be in a hurry so that I knew that I wouldn't get to no where at that moment.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview for an SDE internship. The process of getting contacted to schedule the interview to actually having the phone interview took about three weeks.

The interview was approximately 30 minutes and I was asked a variety of questions such as "What is your favorite Microsoft product and what is one thing you would do to improve it?" and "What is the difference between a thread and a process?"

I have to admit that I was caught off guard by a what was essentially a "Knights and Knaves" like question. If you're unfamiliar with those types of problems, I would recommend that you look over them briefly before an interview with them.

Other than that, the interview seemed very standard with the typical questions about my resume.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I was contacted via email and invited to an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes long. I was given two programming questions, one related to graphs and the other related to a subarray sum problem. After a few days, I was contacted for second round interviews in Boston, all expenses paid, to be interviewed at the Microsoft Research Building. I had 4 45 minute interviews in the morning, and received an internship offer within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Given a hashmap of abbreviations to a list of what the abbreviations stand for, write a program to guess new abbreviations' expanded forms (even though each letter could stand for many things) based on the mutual probabilities of the words being together in the existing abbreviation database.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Phone Interview and On site interview. Initially an aptitude test online, then the phone which moved to an onsite interview. The asked the general data structures and oop questions. They threw some curveballs as well. My mistakes came down to not asking questions about their problem. ASK QUESTIONS! They will reveal more that way, it will transform problems.

Interview Questions
    • Design of an online banking application (expected to troubleshoot possible problems)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Got an interview opportunity from career fair on campus and the interview was also held on campus. There were two questions. Both were pretty straightforward and the interviewer was very patient in explaining all the questions I had. My first code missed out a lot of corner cases. The interviewer was nice enough to point those out for me. I was able to correct them afterwards but still no luck for the next round.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to return words in a string.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

The recruiting process was simple. I've done this twice in consecutive years. Microsoft sent some engineers to my college to find job and internship applicants in September 2013 and again this September.

In September 2013 they had a "mini-interview" round on campus. As I handed in my resume I was asked questions about my experience and interests. A few days later I got an e-mail invitation from a Microsoft HR contractor to do a sit-down interview. The interview happened a couple of weeks later, also on campus, with a Microsoft engineer.

The interviewer was cordial but curt because interviews were 30 minutes and stacked back-to-back all day, with no time cushion between. The interviewers were mostly casually dressed as were the applicants.

My interviewer asked me about my background and experience, then gave me a coding question. All other applicants I talked to were also given a coding problem, not one of those mythical non-tech brain teasers I have read about companies such as Google giving.

I was applying for their no-experience-needed "explorers" internship. I told the interviewer I just started learning about arrays, so he asked me to code an array sorting function. He seemed surprised it was over my head, in spite of it being my first month in intro to C, which Microsoft knew in advance.
    I wasn't able to completely code the answer, but the interviewer was helpful, offering general advice on how to complete it. I got a generic rejection e-mail about three weeks later from a do-not-reply address, saying my resume would be kept on file for a year.

This year I got an e-mail from Microsoft again, saying an engineer had reviewed my resume on file from last year and wanted us to do a sit-down interview. It was about the same as last year, though Microsoft was not offering the "explorer" internship anymore, just the need-experience one. My interviewer again was cordial, even friendly, and asked me similar questions to last year, followed by a new coding question that I was given a Surface tablet with an IDE (no compiler) to code with.

I handled it better this year, but I couldn’t finish the code so I talked it out. He asked how to code a translator from a base-10 number system to another system. I had about 15 minutes to code it, with the interviewer at times looking at my screen and notes, and asking questions. He was being helpful but it was too much pressure for me. The interview ended with some advice on how to handle the problem and well-wishes.

I got basically the same rejection e-mail from them as I did last year.

Microsoft has an efficiently structured system for recruiting applicants, processing applications (through web and e-mail) and coordinating interviews. They even use an automated system to remind you of your interview after you select it through a web system. The only weakness is a mismatch between the stated job requirements and what the interviewers expect you to know. In the case of last year's interview, for example, I had to explain what the explorer internship I was applying for was because the interviewer had never heard of it, and seemingly was not prepared to ask questions on that level.

Interview Questions
    • Surprisingly the interviewer this year asked me about my previous interview last year. He said he had on his computer not only the coding question I was asked before, but what my response to it was. He asked what I had learned from it. I told him that I didn't even remember the question, it had been so long. I'm sure it would have been better if I mentioned having worked on it after I went home. I was impressed that he and Microsoft by proxy seemed genuinely interested in my development.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I got an email from a recruiter asking to schedule a phone screen 10 days from then. I had apparently submitted my resume to their system awhile back and completely forgot about it, a pleasant surprise!

The phone screen was pretty casual and I noticed that the questions all seemed to be design related. I think I was being interviewed for a PM role but they say you're considered for PM, SDE, and SDET. I fumbled a bit on an "explain such and such to a ___ year old" question but I did really well on the design question. We ran out of time and I thought that I had failed because of that earlier question but the interviewer seemed pretty upbeat. I was told to expect the results within 2-3 weeks.

I waited almost the full 3 weeks before I got an email congratulating me on making it to the final round. I'm still waiting for them to schedule my interview. It's been about a week since I received that email.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you demonstrated your coding abilities.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO (US)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I submitted my resume at an info session on campus, and was contacted within a week or so to schedule an interview. The interview lasted 30 minutes and I had one design question: design a doorbell for the future. She also asked what the hardest technical problem I'd ever had.

Interview Questions
    • For a positive integer n, how many consecutive numbers add up to that number? For example, 9 would be 2,3,4 and 4,5.   View Answer