Microsoft

Average Difficulty
152 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Interview Details Had 4 interviews. The first interview was about testing, the second interview was about coding two algorithms, the third interview was about testing a specific function and then implementing that function. The interviewers were very nice and helpful. They were very approachable and gave good hints in order to solve the problem.

Interview Question – Given an integer number, implement the toString() function of that number.   View Answer

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Applied online multiple times for different internships. A friend of mine who interned and then was hired after graduation forwarded my resume in to recruiters internally. A recruiter reached out to me and said they would be interviewing soon and that I needed to fill out a placement sheet. The sheet asked various, extremely vague questions about what field I would like to be in. There was vague managerial questions like if I preferred to be a designer, a manager, or someone who works entirely with code across 3 fields. The fields were like systems, products, and general or something. It was weird because I still didn't know what I was applying for or what I would be doing. I was told I would be contacted "soon". A month went by and I heard no word. I attempted to email back, but got an out of office message. Another month went by. I asked my friend if I was even being considered anymore. The recruiter reached out to me after he inquired directly, she said they would contact me within the next week. ANOTHER month went by with still no contact. I attempted to inquire another time, and finally, out of the blue, someone called me. The gentleman sounded like he was in a rush to get me off the phone. He asked me why I wanted work with MS, what my interests are, and then went right into 3 riddles. The riddles were really silly and he timed me so short on them. He asked about having a group of marbles, a scale, and how to find the one marble that weighed the most without being able to use the scale more than 2 times. He then asked me about mis-sorted fruit baskets and how I would find certain fruits. I messed this one up, but came close. and when I came close to the answer, he abruptly asked ARE YOU SURE? Threw me off as I was confident in my conclusion, but it sounded so forceful I wasn't sure if I had said something really absurd without noticing. I didn't hear back for another month, in which I just got some automated email saying my application was declined.

Interview Question – Marbles that all have the same appearance, one weighs differently. Use a 2 sided scale to find the smallest marble. Only use the scale 3 times.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details 1 HR interview that included behavioural questions in addition to ligh technical questions, followed by 3 onsite interviews. 2 interview were focused on coding, and the third was purely testing.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I gave my resume to a recruiter at my college career fair and got an email invitation to an on-campus interview about 2 months later. Microsoft interviewed about 30 - 40 students on my campus back to back for 3 days so there was a lot of competition.

Interview Question – How would you design an elevator?   View Answers (3)

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details First round consists of a multiple choice quiz followed by multiple onsite rounds. The questions generally consist of Algorithms, Design and Project Questions. The interviewers are good and they even offer you to drive back home if you want.

Interview Question – There was one design problem   Answer Question

Intern
University of Colorado, CO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details First, Microsoft representatives visited my university for a resume review. They basically reviewed my resume and gave me some guidance about the things to put and to remove from there. Then, they invited me to a small competition, it had nothing to do with the internship, to solve some problems, and they gave the winners some coupons. Then, they sent me an Email to sign up for a secondary interview at my university after which I could qualify for an interview at Redmond.

Interview Question – It was not hard. He asked me to design and implement two simple functions enqueue and dequeue in any programming language I preferred.   View Answer

Istanbul (Turkey)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details There was an online shortlisting process as usual and then I was contacted by a recruiter from a subcontractor assessment company and was invited for a range of assessment steps such as self assessment test,logical thinking and language skills.

Interview Question – Some questions needed to be really careful and stay attentive because of the fact that they include so many numbers and that kind of stuff.   Answer Question

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

Interview Details Written Test, Online Coding, F2F

Interview Question – About Database querying.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details asked a lot of questions for the firstt phone screen

Interview Question – Design a remote control for Children   Answer Question

Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2012.

Interview Details Coding test, and then interview with Skype. In the interview, I was asked to explain what I have done before and am doing now, which programming languages I am using, what research topics I am interested in, what kind of project I would like to commit, whether I would like to submit a paper to a conference or contribute some products.

Interview Question – Explain my paper which is my previous major (not directly related to my current major).   View Answer

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!