Microsoft

Updated 9 Dec 2014

3.1

190 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Application was straight forward with a cover letter, resume and other common questions. This was then followed up by an online interview where you had to answer some questions, mostly standard ones like name your best qualities etc. After that it was an assessment centre involving two presentations and one final interview with one of the managers. As a note they included both in the same day.

Interview Questions
  • When was a time where you had to change something unexpectedly about a project and tell me about that experience?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Had 4 interviews. The first interview was about testing, the second interview was about coding two algorithms, the third interview was about testing a specific function and then implementing that function. The interviewers were very nice and helpful. They were very approachable and gave good hints in order to solve the problem.

Interview Questions
    • Given an integer number, implement the toString() function of that number.   View Answer

Intern Interview

Gave resume to recruiter at job fair, about a month later I did an interview in person at my school, about two weeks later got invited to hiring day. The interviewers were friendly, smart, and the questions weren't extremely difficult

Intern Interview

moved quickly, had interview on campus, then at the microsoft campus had four rounds of interview. each interview was around fourty five minutes

Intern Interview

I applied in school career fair, and got an interview a month later. A University recruiter came to my University. He introduced himself and the internship program the day before interview day in a small meeting.
    During the interview, he asked me a question related to strings and pointers.
    After that, we talked about testing and refinement of the previous program.
    Another problem is about linked list.

Interview Questions
    • You should really know how to manipulate pointers in C   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

Met college recruiter at schools job fair. Talk about how I got interested into Computer Science which got me an interview. The recruiter was very nice and actually cared about my story and generally wanted to hear it.

At the interview, I got a lot of help from the interviewer on the questions but I was just too nervous to think straight and was still a beginner at CS. Could have passed the interview if just brushed up on basics.

Interview Questions
    • Two behavioral questions.
      Describe about a recent software application you used and how would you improve it.

If Microsoft got into the soda vending machine business, how would come up with a paradigm shift for it?

Tech question:
      Given an array of customer ids, find out if a costumer called more than once. No data structures, other than arrays.

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Dropped off my resume at their desk when they stopped my university, received an email a couple of days afterwards to have an interview when they come back to my school two weeks later. The process was nice, actually. My interviewer was very professional, not awkward at all, and was very easy to have a conversation with.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a string in place. Not the simple string reverse() STL function, but turn the string "My dog jumps over the fence" into "Fence the over jumps dog my".   View Answers (3)

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

From the time I gave my resume to when I got my offer, it took about 2 months.

1) Microsoft was at my school lobby and I dropped off my resume.
    2) About 3-4 weeks later I was invited to a 30-min interview on my University's campus. The interview was easy. First part was to describe a hard project or bug I worked on, and the second part was to code on the white board. Coding question was: Given a string and two chars, find the minimum distance between those two characters in the string.
    3) Since I had another offer which had a near deadline, Microsoft got back to me quickly within a week. I was invited to their Redmond campus for 3 45-min interviews. I did badly in the first question and didn't get to finish my code, did great on the second, and average on the third.

The entire interview process went smoothly and traveling to Redmond was great since everything was paid for and organized really well. I got my interview results in an email when I got back to my hotel after the interview day.

Interview Questions
    • Given a binary tree, where each node has a third reference which is not yet initialized, go through the tree and point the third reference to the rightmost tree node on the same level. If there are no other nodes to its right, point it to null.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Offered a phone interview through university. Interviewer was nice, asked a lot of questions about my personal projects. Asked 3 unusual/unexpected questions: "How would you explain recursion to a child?", "How would you test a vending machine?" and "If you have 9 marbles and one of them is heavier than the rest, how do you find the heaviest one using a scale only twice?"

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I was noticed for an interview one week after the career fair where I gave them my resume. The interview was held in campus and lasted for 40 min. The interviewer was an engineer, and he asked some experiences described in my resume, which took about 20 min. After that, I was given two coding questions, one was how to delete a LinkedList node, given the access to the node. The second one was to reverse a string without using additional strings.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about how to retrieve memory used in the program.   Answer Question