Microsoft

Getting the Interview

143 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details got an interview by giving my resume to a rep at a career-fair. Was contacted about a week later with an interview time. Interview was about 45 minutes long and was asked a variety of both technical questions and critical think questions. Found out about three weeks later that I was not selected for the second rounds of interviews. However i know that for those they fly you out to WA to interview at their headquarters.

Interview Question – Design an alarm clock for a visually impaired person.   Answer Question

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I applied through our university recruiter. It was much easier than going through the online interface. One on campus interview, followed by an on site interview by the team. Found this much easier than working through the online interface, the face time with the recruiter really helped.

Interview Question – Given an arrays of length x and 2x, with the array of 2x containing only x integers, move the former array into the larger one and sort.
With that completed, I was told to do it in place, followed by significantly improve the runtime.
  Answer Question

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details My friend recommended me to Microsoft. I think I basically skipped the first round interviews, I had a brief conversation with the recruiter over the phone about my interests but that was it before on site interviews in Seattle. The Seattle interviews were really fun. I was part of an "event" which means that there were a lot of us interviewing for the same teams. There were 4, 45 minute onsite interviews where we talked about what I had done previous summers and where I answered the usual coding interview questions.

Interview Question – Most questions were pretty standard coding interview questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I want to try interning at a smaller company.

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Met job recruiter at Career Fair. Set up a phone interview for the next week. Got a call from a male in WA. Very nice guy and we bonded over a couple common hobbies while casually going over the points on my resume. Only one question asked outside of normal questions.

Interview Question – Your company has made a table. Why does it wobble?   View Answers (2)

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I had an on campus interview. They were very nice during the whole process. A Q&A session was held on campus the night before where you were able to become more comfortable with interview and the process. It lasted 45 minutes and was a 1-1 interview. The questions were very straight forward. Talk about your experience and past projects. Then a hand written technical question based on string manipulations without any api.

Interview Question – Complex string manipulation without api.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details The interview started with personal questions about what i have done in the past year, then they asked me what was the most dificult thing that i have solved. Then they ask me to solve a relative simple problem and code it in a white papper, and then proceded to ask tecnical questions about my code. It was the first inverview of 3.

Interview Question – They ask me to detail all the cases in wich my code will cause an error.   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

Interview Details Initially found Microsoft through MIT's career office and applied for an interview. The interviews had standard technical questions. The recruiter, however, was very pushy and intrusive; he did not make me want to work for Microsoft. That was a disappointment.

Interview Question – How do you quickly compute a knight's tour on a chessboard?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Has better offers from elsewhere

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I was contacted by their recruiting staff, and asked if I wanted to submit a resume to interview with them. I decided that was a good idea, so I uploaded my resume to their intern application page. A few weeks later I was offered an on campus interview at my university. The interview was just one technical question, listed below, and a few HR questions.

Interview Question – Given two nodes in a binary tree, find their first common ancestor. You may not store nodes, and assume that the tree is already created.   View Answers (3)

Chennai (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview Details Online Programming Test > Written Test > Interview Round 1 > Interview Round 2 > Interview Round 3

Interview Question – Why you wanted to do Intern at MSIDC?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't like the work profile.

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Was referred by a friend who had worked there the summer before. I sent in my resume via email and was asked to do a 30 minute phone interview. A couple weeks after the phone interview, received an email asking me to come to the second round of interviews in Redmond. While there, they were extremely nice in the amenities -- great hotel, food budget, transportation, etc. During the day, had a total of 4 approximately hour long interviews where learned about Microsoft and was also asked one or two technical questions.

Interview Question – The questions involved arrays and trees mostly.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft