Microsoft

Getting the Interview

3,185 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I applied the software engineer position online, and get the on-campus interview after few days. Interview had two parts, the general and the technical parts. The general part is about the questions like why did you choose to be a software engineer and why did you choose MS. And the past projects/jobs you have done & what did you learn from that. The technical part is quite easy, which is just a simple coding question.

Interview Question – Find the number of '0' bits in an integer.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Development Engineer Interview

Melbourne

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

Interview Details Two sessions of interview of 30 minutes each:
First session was a technical review where a technical question was given to be solved in 30 minutes. The question I received was a bejewel-like game and the task was to code the function to start the game with initial game state.
Second session was a 1 to 1 interview question where the interviewer followed up on your resume details as well as asked several expected questions such as reason of wanting to join the corporate and what is your passion in regards of technology.

Interview Question – I was not expecting the question to be as complicated as a game but it turn out that you would not be expected to complete the functionalities but just provide your logic flows.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Contacted at uni to apply for program management positions. Recruiters were very friendly and prompt to reply. Scheduled an initial video chat with one of the PM leads at Microsoft. Interviewer did not seem friendly / pleased to be doing the interviewing. Chatted about their role then dove into quite tough questions. Felt on the back foot most of the interview. Questioned how I would tackle some of the more complex problems they are currently facing as a team (e.g. how I might improve Bing Search). Couple of technical puzzler style questions (bit more algorithmic than "why are manholes round"), which were a bit unexpected for a PM role. Would recommend being familiar with the entire Microsoft range and not accidentally mentioning any competitors (probably obvious, but being uncomfortable with acknowledging the elephant in the room of Google Search was a bit unexpected).

Interview Question – You have a 5-sided die. You need to produce a uniform random number between 1-7. You can re-roll the die as much as you need. How do you achieve this?   View Answer

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Interview Details Submitted resume. Initial interview with recruiter consisted of resume review and a couple of brain teasers. Interview with engineer consisted of a coding question.

Final interview day in Sydney consisted of 3 interviews with engineers.

Interview Questions

• N people in a party consisting of celebrities and normal people. All normal people know the celebrities but celebrities don't know anyone but themselves. Write code to find the celebrity.   Answer Question
  • Given an integer as input, return the number of 1s in the input's binary form.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I handed my resume to the people at the Microsoft stand at my University's career fair and got an email a few weeks after asking me to come to the initial screening. I got to talk to one person about myself for half an hour, including my approach towards software engineering and why encapsulation is important etc. The next half hour was spent solving a simple C problem and talking about the differences between Java and C++.

A few days later I was invited for a full interview in a month. It was a four hour marathon session with four software developers.

Interview Question – This one took me by surprise: write a function in C that will verify if an IPv4 address is correct or not.   View Answer

Microsoft Internship Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Resume submission on Microsoft Career website.
Get to the stage of phone interview after few weeks.
To be honest, the phone interview wasn't really difficult, and no technical question.
General question are asked:
Why do you want to join MS internship?
What is your strongest unit and weakest unit?
What skill are you good at and how do you apply it?
How do you prioritize the task?
What challenge do you face in daily life? How do you solve it and what is the outcome?

Interview Question – What is the customer service?
What software do you like to use and what recommendation would you give to improve it?
  Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

Interview Details My first interview was a brief phone screening which was just about me and my projects.

I was then invited to join an online group meeting on Microsoft Lync which is similar to Skype, during which a member of HR spoke to all candidates. They discussed the next interview process and answered any questions asked by the candidates (there were about 35 candidates).

A date and time was allocated by follow-up email for each of us to attend the interview in the Sydney Office. On my interview day, there was a total of 5 interviewers (all senior members of the Microsoft team), and 5 interviewees. We each received 3-4, 1on1 interviews in separate rooms, rotating between the interviewers. A decision may be made after 3 interviews or you may be given a final 4th interview if needed.

I went through a total of 4 interviews, 45 minutes each with 15 minute break in-between. The breaks were spent with the other candidates and a member of the HR who discussed about Microsoft’s work and workplace.

The interviews generally went like so:
First 5-15 minutes:
• The interviewer introduces themselves and their job.
• Asks about you, your projects and your past work (basically your resume).
Next 25-35 minutes:
• Interviewer gives you 1-2 problems, you are to provide your implementation on the white board.
• Interviewer asks you to give test cases to your implementation.
Final 5 minutes:
• Any questions you may have for the interviewer.

My Interview Questions:
1. Write a function to determine if a string is a Palindrome
    a. Give a list of expected functionality for the “Linked List” data structure
    b. Write a function to reverse a Linked List
    a. Write a function to determine if a number is prime.
    b. Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.
    c. Write a function to round a float to the nearest integer (i.e. 3.14 = 3, 3.56 = 4).
4. Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.
Example,

5-3-1
5-3-2
5-7-5
5-7-8

Interview Questions

• Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.   Answer Question
  • Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)
Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Interview Details First round is phone interview calling from US, lasing for 40 minutes. Second round is the final round. I was heading to their Sydney office. There were 3~4 rounds interviews. Every round is 45 minutes, comprising a programming question. You have to be very careful about the details of each step of your code, especially the boundary case. Questions are all moderate difficulty.

Interview Question – I was asked to count from 1 to N among M people in a loop. People counted as N will be removed and keeping counting from 1 to N until only one people left. Output the position of the last people.   Answer Question

Adelaide

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details Submitting resume at campus recruiting. Two stages. Interviewing with one HR officer and one technical officer. Question includes why Microsoft, what makes good code/bad code, your favourite coding languages, puzzles. Technical questions involve how you deal with problems while coding, arrays, queue implementation .... More thorough technical interview in the final round.

Interview Question – How do you test a website?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Sydney

Interview Details 1 round is phone interview, asking your past experience, basics in C/C++, the difference between C++ and Java, and how to identify a heavier ball in 12 ball in 3 times. 2nd round is a on-site interview. you will meet with 3~4 interviewers during the day, first one asked me how to calculate the sum of a binary tree at certain level, second asked me to write how to check if a string is a palindrome. Third one is to about the Tic-Tak-Toe game, write a function to check if someone has won at the current board situation.

Interview Question – The third question is a bit unexpected. I was spending a lot of time thinking how to write this efficiently, but didn't finish it. I should just write a straight forward one, and try to improve it later.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft interview questions and advice. All 3,185 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.