Microsoft

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Average Difficulty
3,371 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Microsoft Software Development Engineer & Software Development Engineer In Test Internship Interview

Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Interview Details First contact from a career event on campus and apply through email week later. 2 weeks after receive an email asking for first round interview on campus 2 weeks later.
That was two 30mins interview with one technical interview and one behavioral interview.

4 weeks later got invitation for 2nd round interview. This time there are 3-4 interviews depending on the situation, each lasts 45 minutes. There are 15 mins between interviews so interviewees (there are 5 of us) can meet and talk to each other, there was also a coordinator sitting in the room trying to calm us down, giving tips and answering questions.

Interview Question – Tell me what happens when you click the power button on a PC.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Interview Details Had 4 interviews. The first interview was about testing, the second interview was about coding two algorithms, the third interview was about testing a specific function and then implementing that function. The interviewers were very nice and helpful. They were very approachable and gave good hints in order to solve the problem.

Interview Question – Given an integer number, implement the toString() function of that number.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Software Development Engineer Intern
Sydney

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2013.

Interview Details Signed up with a recruiter, and then got an interview on campus.. Interviewer was very nice, and the process was very easy. Offer was to fly to the USA for the actual internship. Question was not very difficult, but then again this was only the first stage of the recruitment

Interview Question – Remove all duplicates from an integer array without using any additional data structures.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I applied the software engineer position online, and get the on-campus interview after few days. Interview had two parts, the general and the technical parts. The general part is about the questions like why did you choose to be a software engineer and why did you choose MS. And the past projects/jobs you have done & what did you learn from that. The technical part is quite easy, which is just a simple coding question.

Interview Question – Find the number of '0' bits in an integer.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Contacted at uni to apply for program management positions. Recruiters were very friendly and prompt to reply. Scheduled an initial video chat with one of the PM leads at Microsoft. Interviewer did not seem friendly / pleased to be doing the interviewing. Chatted about their role then dove into quite tough questions. Felt on the back foot most of the interview. Questioned how I would tackle some of the more complex problems they are currently facing as a team (e.g. how I might improve Bing Search). Couple of technical puzzler style questions (bit more algorithmic than "why are manholes round"), which were a bit unexpected for a PM role. Would recommend being familiar with the entire Microsoft range and not accidentally mentioning any competitors (probably obvious, but being uncomfortable with acknowledging the elephant in the room of Google Search was a bit unexpected).

Interview Question – You have a 5-sided die. You need to produce a uniform random number between 1-7. You can re-roll the die as much as you need. How do you achieve this?   View Answer

Graduate Software Development Engineer Interview

Graduate Software Development Engineer
Melbourne

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

Interview Details Two sessions of interview of 30 minutes each:
First session was a technical review where a technical question was given to be solved in 30 minutes. The question I received was a bejewel-like game and the task was to code the function to start the game with initial game state.
Second session was a 1 to 1 interview question where the interviewer followed up on your resume details as well as asked several expected questions such as reason of wanting to join the corporate and what is your passion in regards of technology.

Interview Question – I was not expecting the question to be as complicated as a game but it turn out that you would not be expected to complete the functionalities but just provide your logic flows.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Interview Details Submitted resume. Initial interview with recruiter consisted of resume review and a couple of brain teasers. Interview with engineer consisted of a coding question.

Final interview day in Sydney consisted of 3 interviews with engineers.

Interview Questions

• N people in a party consisting of celebrities and normal people. All normal people know the celebrities but celebrities don't know anyone but themselves. Write code to find the celebrity.   Answer Question
  • Given an integer as input, return the number of 1s in the input's binary form.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I handed my resume to the people at the Microsoft stand at my University's career fair and got an email a few weeks after asking me to come to the initial screening. I got to talk to one person about myself for half an hour, including my approach towards software engineering and why encapsulation is important etc. The next half hour was spent solving a simple C problem and talking about the differences between Java and C++.

A few days later I was invited for a full interview in a month. It was a four hour marathon session with four software developers.

Interview Question – This one took me by surprise: write a function in C that will verify if an IPv4 address is correct or not.   View Answer

Microsoft Internship Interview

Microsoft Internship

I applied online and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Resume submission on Microsoft Career website.
Get to the stage of phone interview after few weeks.
To be honest, the phone interview wasn't really difficult, and no technical question.
General question are asked:
Why do you want to join MS internship?
What is your strongest unit and weakest unit?
What skill are you good at and how do you apply it?
How do you prioritize the task?
What challenge do you face in daily life? How do you solve it and what is the outcome?

Interview Question – What is the customer service?
What software do you like to use and what recommendation would you give to improve it?
  Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

Interview Details My first interview was a brief phone screening which was just about me and my projects.

I was then invited to join an online group meeting on Microsoft Lync which is similar to Skype, during which a member of HR spoke to all candidates. They discussed the next interview process and answered any questions asked by the candidates (there were about 35 candidates).

A date and time was allocated by follow-up email for each of us to attend the interview in the Sydney Office. On my interview day, there was a total of 5 interviewers (all senior members of the Microsoft team), and 5 interviewees. We each received 3-4, 1on1 interviews in separate rooms, rotating between the interviewers. A decision may be made after 3 interviews or you may be given a final 4th interview if needed.

I went through a total of 4 interviews, 45 minutes each with 15 minute break in-between. The breaks were spent with the other candidates and a member of the HR who discussed about Microsoft’s work and workplace.

The interviews generally went like so:
First 5-15 minutes:
• The interviewer introduces themselves and their job.
• Asks about you, your projects and your past work (basically your resume).
Next 25-35 minutes:
• Interviewer gives you 1-2 problems, you are to provide your implementation on the white board.
• Interviewer asks you to give test cases to your implementation.
Final 5 minutes:
• Any questions you may have for the interviewer.

My Interview Questions:
1. Write a function to determine if a string is a Palindrome
    a. Give a list of expected functionality for the “Linked List” data structure
    b. Write a function to reverse a Linked List
    a. Write a function to determine if a number is prime.
    b. Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.
    c. Write a function to round a float to the nearest integer (i.e. 3.14 = 3, 3.56 = 4).
4. Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.
Example,

5-3-1
5-3-2
5-7-5
5-7-8

Interview Questions

• Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.   Answer Question
  • Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!