Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions

Updated 28 Apr 2014

3.4

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

My initial interview was at my university's campus and lasted approximately 30 minutes. My interviewer was 20 minutes late.. He asked me two questions: 1) What is the biggest technical challenge that you are proud of overcoming? 2) How many elevators do you need for a building (after asking some questions, the building is 40 floors - first 10 floors are retail, the next 20 are corporate, and the top 10 are residential)? 4 weeks later, I finally heard from an interview scheduler that I've made it to the final round interview in Redmond, WA. I had a pending offer so they worked with me to get up there as quickly as possible. They covered everything including airfare, rental car, food, and lodging so that was nice. On interview day, I first spoke with my recruiter for less than 10 minutes. I was rushed to the Bellevue office because of the time it took to get there. I ended up hanging in the waiting room for 30 minutes before I was called. The first interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume and then two technical-ish questions. First one was how would I improve the elevator and the second was to write a program to find the area of the intersection of two rectangles. I didn't have any breaks in between any of my interviews. The second interviewer asked me detailed questions about a project on my resume. He then gave me a scenario with a manager, a dev team, and a customer group. The manager wants me, the PM, to increase revenue by $1mil however way I can. The customer wants to increase by $2mil but they will provide resources. The dev team says that they can do $1mil but it won't be immediate. How do you handle the situation? I guess the main point was to notice that the $2mil is actually not better than $1mil because they will be providing more workers than the dev team would've. I didn't make that realization so that probably is where I lost the position. The next interviewer was late by about 15 min (so I guess I did get some break). We ate lunch and just talked about what I like about Bing and what I don't like and random stuff like what I do for fun. We then went back to his office and talked about things on my resume. He then asked me how I would improve the elevator there. They seem to really like questions about elevators. He then told me that I was done for the day and could head back to the recruiting building. I knew at that point I didn't get it since I only got 3 interviews. They got back to me the next day via email that I didn't get it. Overall, it was a good experience and I hope to try again for full-time in the future.

Interview Questions
  • You are given two rectangles. Write a program to find the area of the intersection.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager - Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

Microsoft visited my school campus during the career fair. I spoke to them and said I would like to be considered for the Program manager internship. I had a campus interview where I was asked to design a product review system for an online seller like Amazon, Ebay etc. I just had to come up with unique ideas and defend it. Second round was at Redmond. It was an all day process. Had a total of 4 rounds. First round guy asked me a tech question: write a program to find out the angular difference between hour and minute hands of the clock for a particular time. Second guy asked me to design a inventory management system. Third guy asked me to design a GPS system embedded within a car and the fourth guy asked me to design a system that managed customer issues more effectively.

Interview Questions
    • This was the most trickiest part, I never felt any question was the toughest as all of them were open ended. Infact, it was only the first question in which I fumbled a bit because I wasn't really counting on my tech skills for this position. The second time, I feel I slipped a bit was I was thinking on how to implement a GPS embedded within a car and the interviewer said 'keep talking.. keep talking'. other then that I felt it was a smooth interview.   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

1. Behavioral questions
    2. Write code to determine if a given string is a palindrome

Microsoft took more than a month to get back to me saying I wouldn't be considered for further interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

One phone screen, and then onsite interview in Redmond. Phone screen was fairly basic, we just went over resume and a brainteaser. Redmond interviews were four one-on-ones. A mix of design questions, resume review, behavioral questions, coding questions, and just general chatting. Heard back the day after the onsite interview.

Program Manager Intern Interview

Phone screen, on campus interviews, then on-site. Pretty standard process. Asked many questions about designing things. I thought that it was important to ask questions back.

The technical questions were fairly easy. Standard recursion questions, and tree traversing.

Final round interviews were 45 min each. There were three of them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

I applied through my school's career website in October. In mid-December, I received an email from a recruiter for a phone interview. This interview lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of behavior questions and a few technical/critical thinking questions. Overall, the interviewer was very nice and helpful throughout the questions which made the interview go well. Since the holiday season was very close to my phone interview date, I had to wait a little longer to get results, at least that's what they said. During the second week in January, I received an email congratulating and saying that I will move onto the final round of interviews. I was then informed that I would be going out to Redmond in a week later for the on-site interviews.

With just a little bit of information from me, they were able to book the trip for me and I did not have much to do. Once in Redmond for the interviews, we met with our recruiters and they introduced themselves to us. We were then taken by a concierge to The Commons to eat lunch around 11:30. He also showed us a little bit of the campus. After eating lunch, we were guided to explore a little more before we went to the Company Store. We had to be back to the first building by 1 for the start of interviews. Once back, individual people came out to get us for a 1 on 1 interview. Each interview was about 45 minutes with 15 minute breaks in-between where you can play Xbox, use a Surface, snack, or relax on the couch. Half way through, we got a longer break to relax or do whatever.

After all of the interviews concluded, we were told that we would be notified within the next week if we were offered a position.

They pay for your meals and fun activities too! So have fun!

Interview Questions
    • What are the 3 concepts of a Program Manager? (I didn't know the specific words he was looking for, but I had the concepts) Everything else was manageable.   Answer Question
    Since it's an internship, no negotiations. But it's a GREAT offer anyways.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

30 mins on campus interview with an engineer, who asked 1 technical question (algorithms) and a product design question. On-site interviews: 4 separate interviews with different program managers within one group, much less scary than I thought it was going to be. The interviews want to see how you think, and they don't expect you to come up with the right answers right away.

Program Manager Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interviewed on-campus for my 1st round.

After that, they responded after almost a 4 weeks, stating that I had been selected and was invited to the Redmond campus. They also sent a few other emails which took care of different things like transportation, accommodations (for those who need them), etc.

During this time, I wasn't informed about the team I would be interviewing with.

On the interview day, the entire process was pretty smooth and on time.

I was asked to report to the office by 11:30 AM for check in (Building 111). Once there, they took care of all our bags/ belongings and we were free to mingle with other, try out the xbox in the lounge and do other stuff.

At 11:30 AM, we were taken for a short 5 minute walk to the cafeteria, and were given $10 single-use-coupons for lunch.
    We returned to the lounge back after that and our interviews started at 1:00 PM.

The interview process:

We had 4 rounds, 45 minutes each, with a break 10 minutes in between them.

For me, all 4 were design questions.

Questions:

1. The general ones: tell me about yourself, why MSFT, etc.
    2. Design a rubix cube app for a mobile phone.
    3. Design an app for the game Boggle for a tablet.
    4. Design a university book store website.
    5. Design a To-Do list app. Choose the device and explain your choice.

Program Manager Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online, had one on campus interview and then flew to Redmond for 4 additional interviews.

Program Manager Intern Interview

Microsoft came to the career fair at my university. I talked with one of the recruiters there, and was offered an on-campus interview for the next day.
    The interview was supposed to be 30 minutes, but I was the last interview for the day, so we talked for about 45 minutes.
    First my interviewer asked me about my projects and experiences. Then he asked me about some technology that I liked, and ways to improve it. Somehow we got into a discussion about UI design. He asked me to design a smartphone home screen.
    I got one programming question in the end on array manipulation. It was pretty easy. I came up with a solution, and he asked me to put it into code.
    Several weeks later, I got an email about a final round interview at Redmond.

Interview Questions
    • You have an array of red balls and blue balls. Sort them in linear time and constant space so that all the red balls are in the front, and all the blue balls in the back.   View Answers (2)

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!