Microsoft

Updated 9 Dec 2014

3.3

302 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Contacted at uni to apply for program management positions. Recruiters were very friendly and prompt to reply. Scheduled an initial video chat with one of the PM leads at Microsoft. Interviewer did not seem friendly / pleased to be doing the interviewing. Chatted about their role then dove into quite tough questions. Felt on the back foot most of the interview. Questioned how I would tackle some of the more complex problems they are currently facing as a team (e.g. how I might improve Bing Search). Couple of technical puzzler style questions (bit more algorithmic than "why are manholes round"), which were a bit unexpected for a PM role. Would recommend being familiar with the entire Microsoft range and not accidentally mentioning any competitors (probably obvious, but being uncomfortable with acknowledging the elephant in the room of Google Search was a bit unexpected).

Interview Questions
  • You have a 5-sided die. You need to produce a uniform random number between 1-7. You can re-roll the die as much as you need. How do you achieve this?   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Was referred by a friend. Got an on campus interview went around 30 minutes. I am a mechanical engineer and I was asked general questions about my CV and projects that I've worked on, coding that I have done and how i managed some of my projects

Program Manager Interview

Networked with a PM at a Professional Development Night hosted by SWE. Followed up with her with a thank you note and she responded saying she forwarded my resume to my universities recruiter. Few weeks later got an invitation to an on campus interview. Waited about 3 weeks after the interview until I got invited back for a final round interview in Redmond. Have yet to hear back!

Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

It began when a former intern recommended me to their program. A recruiter emailed me and scheduled a phone screen. The phone screen went well and I was scheduled to fly into Redmond.

At Redmond I interviewed with 3 people. I was asked a couple coding questions and one design question. I honestly think I did well. I guess the key is to ask more questions once they ask you a question (which I knew to do) but make sure you ask good questions

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite piece of software? Why? Now redesign it to be better   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Pretty straight forward - they had a few technical questions and a few product focused questions. Consisted of one interview on campus and then 4 interviews during the onsite. Didn't felt like it was overly challenging or unexpected.

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

I got a referral and had an on-campus interview. The interviewer was very nice and surprisingly didn't ask anything about my resume.. He asked me to design an interactive interface inside a taxi. So we discussed different scenarios. It was fun.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email by a recruiter designated to my university. Interviewed on my campus, about 45 minutes in length. I was asked to design an app that delivered personalized news to the user. The question, obviously, could've gone on as long as the interviewer wanted, so it became more of a conversation or discussing the features and briefly (pseudo-code) describe how I would accomplish them through a coding perspective, although I was never required to write actual code. Then was invited to interview in Seattle. The team I interviewed with there was extremely technical, and I found a disjunction between what I was expected to be able to handle, as a PM. It was extremely technical. I was asked to write 5 different programs and was barely asked questions about managing program schedules and being able to communicate details from a customer perspective, which was highly emphasized on the PM job description and during my first interview.

In the end, it was clear that the gap between my ideal PM role and that was interviewed for was too large, however I was offered a less technical role that still applied to a Computer Science major and accepted.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Applied during a university career fair. Asked two questions: why Microsoft, why PM, and briefly discussed about a project on my resume.

Round 1: had a 20 min interview on university campus. 10 minute resume overview, then 10 min technical (pseudo-programming) question.

Round 2: after a month of delays because my email had been incorrectly entered in their system, I was flown in to Redmond for the last stage (1h interviews)
    First interview was with a PM managing code shipment, during which we discussed my projects, and she asked me how I would improve an app (web/mobile) I liked.
    Second interview was with a tech PM who asked me what part of the tech stack I'd prefer to work on, and asked me to design an algorithm that optimizes CPU performance.
    Third interview was 1h30 (including lunch). After sharing personal life experiences over lunch we went over another project listed on my resume.
    Fourth: interviewed with a senior PM. She asked me several design related question. 1 how would you go about demolishing a building on Microsoft's campus, 2. what product would you invent, and how would you use it, 3. what would you improve in airports user experience.

Interview Questions
    • If you could invent anything, what would it be? (unexpected). How would you improve UX in airports? (I had very little time to come up with my answer)   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I started the process at my university's career fair. Then I had an in-person quick screening where they asked questions like "design an alarm clock for kids." Next, the company flew me out for in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Most the questions are non-technical design questions like "design an elevator for a high-rise building." I did get a probability question but I fumbled with the answer so it apparently wasn't too important.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Internal transfer request after completing a few stretch assignments on the PM team. Process began with an informational interview where I was encouraged to formally apply. Formal interview loop was a set of 6 back-to-back interviews with members of Dev, PdM, Services, and Test teams (most of whom I knew, one that I didn't know well). The role was for a product I had been working on for a number of years, but had been acquired by Microsoft two years prior to the interview. General consensus from Microsoft leaders was that my product group was inferior in all aspects, and that came out very clearly in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to design a network topology for a specific use case. I'm still not sure why since the role was specific to a data analytics engine - why not ask me to propose a design for some improvement to the data platform?   Answer Question