Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014

3.3

284 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Contacted at uni to apply for program management positions. Recruiters were very friendly and prompt to reply. Scheduled an initial video chat with one of the PM leads at Microsoft. Interviewer did not seem friendly / pleased to be doing the interviewing. Chatted about their role then dove into quite tough questions. Felt on the back foot most of the interview. Questioned how I would tackle some of the more complex problems they are currently facing as a team (e.g. how I might improve Bing Search). Couple of technical puzzler style questions (bit more algorithmic than "why are manholes round"), which were a bit unexpected for a PM role. Would recommend being familiar with the entire Microsoft range and not accidentally mentioning any competitors (probably obvious, but being uncomfortable with acknowledging the elephant in the room of Google Search was a bit unexpected).

Interview Questions
  • You have a 5-sided die. You need to produce a uniform random number between 1-7. You can re-roll the die as much as you need. How do you achieve this?   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email by a recruiter designated to my university. Interviewed on my campus, about 45 minutes in length. I was asked to design an app that delivered personalized news to the user. The question, obviously, could've gone on as long as the interviewer wanted, so it became more of a conversation or discussing the features and briefly (pseudo-code) describe how I would accomplish them through a coding perspective, although I was never required to write actual code. Then was invited to interview in Seattle. The team I interviewed with there was extremely technical, and I found a disjunction between what I was expected to be able to handle, as a PM. It was extremely technical. I was asked to write 5 different programs and was barely asked questions about managing program schedules and being able to communicate details from a customer perspective, which was highly emphasized on the PM job description and during my first interview.

In the end, it was clear that the gap between my ideal PM role and that was interviewed for was too large, however I was offered a less technical role that still applied to a Computer Science major and accepted.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Internal transfer request after completing a few stretch assignments on the PM team. Process began with an informational interview where I was encouraged to formally apply. Formal interview loop was a set of 6 back-to-back interviews with members of Dev, PdM, Services, and Test teams (most of whom I knew, one that I didn't know well). The role was for a product I had been working on for a number of years, but had been acquired by Microsoft two years prior to the interview. General consensus from Microsoft leaders was that my product group was inferior in all aspects, and that came out very clearly in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to design a network topology for a specific use case. I'm still not sure why since the role was specific to a data analytics engine - why not ask me to propose a design for some improvement to the data platform?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Applied through a referral, had a phone interview then flew out to seattle for on-site. Very well organized hosting and interview process. Really made me feel valued. Took a lot of trouble to ensure that the visiting experience was good, organized a tour of seattle, had a rental car, comfortable hotel, led me smoothy from interview to interview on campus. Even sent a gift basket in the mail after I got home. Very professional and gave me a really good impression of the company on the whole.

Interview Questions
    • All fairly standard product questions: What is a non-high-tech product you love? Talk about an app you really like and how you'd improve it.   Answer Question

Accepted another offer.

Program Manager Interview

I didn't pass the on-campus screen. Interviewer was nice and helpful, but question is hard. I think what they really want to see is how you think through the question.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Very Tough and there were 9 rounds of interviews for this position. One stage without confidence may disqualify you. Be confident in your words and place your resume in accordance with the applied position.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Initial application and interview through campus recruiting. They do several rounds of recruiting, so be patient, they might not call you up for an interview right away. Onsite interview afterwards which consists of several interviews with different people, and potential teammates and team leads.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty standard for a PM position. Started off with behavioral questions. Mostly asked for implementations of a specific system. They are looking for creative and detailed-oriented people.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

You need to prepare as much technical knowledge as possible in order to get hired by Microsoft. You need to think and answer some algorithm questions fast enough. You need to write codes on the whiteboard, and they will criticize your coding.

Interview Questions
    • How to determine when to use C++ and when to use C#   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I was contacted through LinkedIn by one of the University Recruiters . Then they set up a short 30 minute interview for me at the university . I felt I did very well in the interview . There was one coding question and about 5 design questions. I was asked to design a chair for the future .

Interview Questions
    • There was not any unexpected question all questions were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

One of my friend passed my resume to his recuiter atthe last day of his own internship.I was contacted by a recuiter from Microsoft 3 weeks after that. She connect me with a guy who was responsible for Microsoft interview at my ubiversity and he asked me about the location which I prefer to go for an internship. Then he said you should wait for us to notify you for the first interview. One week later I got an invitation by email for a phone interview. I asked them is it possible to be a video interview, they said no this time is just an audio without coding questions. It is just to know you and your experiences. I am preparing for my interview now.

Interview Questions
    • Introducing yourself and tell us about your experiences.   Answer Question