Microsoft Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct 2014

3.3

46 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

4 tech interviews, detailed questions, game of life, matrices, design questions, hash table questions. Talked through what it means to be a developer, why you want to be a developer, what to expect etc.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in June 2014.

The interview process first started with a recruiter who asked several questions about my current employment and what I was looking for in a job. She also gave me a high level description of the job.

Second, she arranged for a developer to call me to have a discussion which lasted in hour. During the conversation, the developer asked about my technical background and gave me 2 computer programs to write over the phone.

Next I heard from Microsoft that the phone interview went well, so they wanted to see me in person. A scheduler contacted me by email to setup the face to face interviews. The interview went from 12PM to 4PM.

I arrived at the reception and the first developer quickly took me to his office where he questioned me for 1 hour and asked me to solve a computer program on the board. I interviewed with two other developers in the same manner. I was supposed to interview with a manager, but he was on vacation

Interview Questions
    • Describe the most challenging problem you've had and how you solved it?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

4 interviews - hr, manager, team lead, team

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Standard hiring process: 1)Applied online, 2) 1 Phone Screen, 3) On site with 6 rounds of interviews. The On site experience was very pleasant, and all the interviewers were well prepared and made it look like a general discussion rather than a Q&A session. My only complaint is that the actual offer was delayed due to some internal re-organization. This delay of about 3 months made me really anxious. But my recruiter and Project manager were in constant touch which was a great help.

Interview Questions
    The offer was on par with my expectations and was able to bump up my sign on bonus a bit after negotiating.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Submitted resume at a campus career fair. Heard back a couple weeks later to schedule an on-campus interview. The on campus interview was a half hour long and had just two questions:
        1. Given two nodes in a tree, find their ancestor
        2. Given a function that does some bit operations, determine what it does and find the bug.

About 2 weeks after the on-campus interview I was informed that I would be moving forward in the interview process. This was one negative of the process for me, because I was asked to interview for a position nowhere near the locations I specified as being my preferred choices. The team I interviewed with was also quite different that the interests I discussed in my campus interview.

The hiring event consisted of 4 45-60 minuter interviews. Each interview varied a bit. Some of the other people interviewing received nearly all design questions while others had mostly coding/algorithm questions. I had a mix of design and coding questions which were done on the whiteboard.

For all of the coding/algorithm questions time and space requirements were discussed as the approach was talked through. No specific requirements were given at the start of a question, but the resulting complexities had to be discussed and justified. Some questions related to balancing the time and space requirements. Test cases were also discussed for each question ranging from use cases to catching integer overflow.

The final design question was very open ended, which I think actually tripped me up a bit because after several focused technical questions, I had trouble thinking from a broad design point of view.

Overall, I felt the interviews all went well, but with no feedback from the interviewers I can't say what it was that kept me from getting an offer.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Given a non-negative integer array that is then shuffled and 1 element is removed, find which element was removed.

2. Assume you are designing/writing code for some small business software how would you go about creating a clean, extensible method for calculating sales tax that can be extended easily to work in different parts of the world.

3. (Two separate questions)
          3a. Given an integer array, remove the duplicate values and return an integer array
          3b. Test a dice role generator method

4. Design a system for tracking employee applicants through the interview process
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Phone interview was pleasant. Questions were mostly related to previous work, C#. One each coding questions on array manipulation. The interview gave a detailed description of the team and projects they are working on and gave recommendations to the team manager. He was going to use an online tool so he can see the coding but the invite was sent too late. I just read out my code to him and he seemed to be happy about it.

Interview Questions
    • What I can do to get you in the door?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to leave the current job? Why do you think this is a good place to move to?   Answer Question
    Not really

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

I was first contacted by a staffing member about the opportunity, followed by two phone technical interviews. One from the hiring manager and the other from a team member. Then I flew to Seattle for an onsite interview. There are 6 interviewers from 9am to 5:30pm. The first is the staffing member that originally contacted me, followed by 5 technical interviews examining my skills.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. If you are the right one for the team then it is easy.   Answer Question
    Negotiated using another offer.

Software Development Engineer - II Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

There were totally 2 rounds of Phone Interview.

1st round: "Given a linked list such that one node point to some random node, Write the clone method of a linked list."
    I was able to give an approximate solution in C# using Dictionary, the interviewer was helpful and encouraging inorder for me to come to exact solution.

Couple of days later, got a call back from recruiter that I will be interviewed for 2 round of phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • 2nd round:
      "What is the data structure which suits best for the Battleship game? The board will be of size n x n, with m different ships each having k1, ..., km lengths. Each ship can either by place horizontally or vertically on the board.

The structures should be designed such that they can support basic operations for playing a game. For example, the board and a particular (i, j) coordinate representing a position on the board may be passed into a function attack(). The function should return hit if a ship was hit at that position, sunk if a ship has sunk after being attacked at that position, and miss if no ship is at that position.

Describe your design of the structures, what kind of data they store, and the runtime complexity of typical operations for playing the game (like the attack() function) as a result of your design decisions"

I was coming with an O(n) solution during attack, which was my first attempt and then I was thinking about optimization. But by then the time was over and interviewer seemed unhappy with my solution or the attempt.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

1st round phone interview. 2nd round onsite
    On site: meet 4 people and each ask you 1 or 2 questions

Interview Questions
    • Solve: M is a 2D matrix of integers (nXm) they are sorted in both row and column Write a function search(int s) that return the exact location of the number or Null using lgn   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter from Microsoft, who found my profile on LinkedIn. He sent me an online test for me to take, which I passed. Then his colleagues scheduled the on-site interview in Redmond, Washington.

The interviews went well. I had a good rapport with the four interviewers. Each interview consisted of a few minutes of information questions, followed by a coding question that you have to do on a whiteboard. I answered all but one of the coding questions correctly, as far as I could tell. No matter how much you prepare, a lot of it comes down to luck -- you never know how much a question can stump you, even if the interviewer is helping you. I did study and practice some questions before the interview, but I can't say that it really made much difference.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a question about hashing that required a clever solution that used bit shifting. I think the interviewer may have realized that it was too hard to give candidates a chance to demonstrate their skills.   View Answer
    No, I didn't try to negotiate, probably to my detriment. I wanted to leave my current job quite badly and would not have wanted Microsoft to call my bluff and stay at my previous employer.