Microsoft

61 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details Was contacted after a career fair. Was asked a basic question on string reversal. Got a reject in 2 weeks with no additional information as to what they didn't like.

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details A phone interview after 3 weeks of applying.

Interview Question – Prepare data structures - array, list, linked list, binary tree, hash maps, etc   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Had a 30 min phone interview mainly about my coursework and project. Its been almost 4 weeks now and I have not heard from them regarding my result. I have emailed the HR about 5-6 times and she has not even answered once. This puts a big doubt about Microsoft's hiring process. It appears that they do not value people's time. With the HR not replying, I do not know how to know my result. I have not had such an experience with any other company.

Interview Question – Nothing unsual   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details I passed the on-campus interview last April. But the positions are full for that summer so they asked me to have an on-site interview in Nov. But failed. The project fails to match my background.

Interview Question – All basic questions on leetcode   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Applied online on October. Got informed from HR on January. Then had a non technical HR phone screen. I did't get through this interview.
There are two portions for this interview.
First are some typical behavioral questions. Describe the hardest project, etc. And there are some weird questions like what's the most number of lines of code you've written in one project. What's a language that you are most familiar with.
Then the brain teaser question. The nine ball question. It's everywhere online.

Interview Question – What's the most number of lines of code you've written in one project?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer (Intern) Interview

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Saw an ad for it at college, applied, passed CV screening, then there was a phone interview (it was an opening in Redmond for Brazilian students). Interviewer asked a bit about college experiences, previous programming experiences/portfolio, and some technical questions. Didn't pass since the main question was a software testing one and I didn't know anything about that. There were internships in development and testing, but they clearly wanted people who would accept the testing jobs.

Interview Question – The good ol' triangle problem.   View Answer

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details A phone interview, followed by 3 interviews in Seattle.

Interview Question – The DSP round: I was not expecting this, but I was bombarded with various questions on DSP. Though since I was interviewing for the video DSP team, I should have known better.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details Great culture, really friendly recruiter, and awesome welcoming process to Seattle. They really made sure I enjoyed my stay and came to know the city and the culture.

Interview Question – Recursive maze solver, on the whiteboard.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2010.

Interview Details Recruiting personnel were top notch. The process of flying out to Redmond was smooth and easy. I was never lost or confused about where to go. The series of 4 interviews was challenging and mentally exhausting, but I felt pretty good about it all--even after tripping up a bit on some questions.

Interview Question – How would you write a program to show a stack trace given a raw stack dump.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was possible. The compensation was already very high.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview Details It was what you expect from a Microsoft interview. I was contacted for an on-campus interview. The interviewer was very quiet, but he knew what he was talking about. He asked the standard fare of behavioral questions and then asked the technical question. The solution he offered me wasn't correct though, not that I answered it correctly either.
Additionally, it seemed he didn't have much mobility in the company since he said he has been in part of the team for the Start button for years now.

Interview Question – Being only the first interview, there were no hard questions, but they asked why I liked library A or library B and such questions.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Software Development Engineer Intern interview questions and advice. All 61 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.