Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 29 Oct 2014

3.2

559 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I applied the software engineer position online, and get the on-campus interview after few days. Interview had two parts, the general and the technical parts. The general part is about the questions like why did you choose to be a software engineer and why did you choose MS. And the past projects/jobs you have done & what did you learn from that. The technical part is quite easy, which is just a simple coding question.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I handed my resume to the people at the Microsoft stand at my University's career fair and got an email a few weeks after asking me to come to the initial screening. I got to talk to one person about myself for half an hour, including my approach towards software engineering and why encapsulation is important etc. The next half hour was spent solving a simple C problem and talking about the differences between Java and C++.

A few days later I was invited for a full interview in a month. It was a four hour marathon session with four software developers.

Interview Questions
    • This one took me by surprise: write a function in C that will verify if an IPv4 address is correct or not.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Submitted resume. Initial interview with recruiter consisted of resume review and a couple of brain teasers. Interview with engineer consisted of a coding question.

Final interview day in Sydney consisted of 3 interviews with engineers.

Interview Questions
    • N people in a party consisting of celebrities and normal people. All normal people know the celebrities but celebrities don't know anyone but themselves. Write code to find the celebrity.   Answer Question
    • Given an integer as input, return the number of 1s in the input's binary form.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

My first interview was a brief phone screening which was just about me and my projects.

I was then invited to join an online group meeting on Microsoft Lync which is similar to Skype, during which a member of HR spoke to all candidates. They discussed the next interview process and answered any questions asked by the candidates (there were about 35 candidates).

A date and time was allocated by follow-up email for each of us to attend the interview in the Sydney Office. On my interview day, there was a total of 5 interviewers (all senior members of the Microsoft team), and 5 interviewees. We each received 3-4, 1on1 interviews in separate rooms, rotating between the interviewers. A decision may be made after 3 interviews or you may be given a final 4th interview if needed.

I went through a total of 4 interviews, 45 minutes each with 15 minute break in-between. The breaks were spent with the other candidates and a member of the HR who discussed about Microsoft’s work and workplace.

The interviews generally went like so:
    First 5-15 minutes:
    • The interviewer introduces themselves and their job.
    • Asks about you, your projects and your past work (basically your resume).
    Next 25-35 minutes:
    • Interviewer gives you 1-2 problems, you are to provide your implementation on the white board.
    • Interviewer asks you to give test cases to your implementation.
    Final 5 minutes:
    • Any questions you may have for the interviewer.

My Interview Questions:
    1. Write a function to determine if a string is a Palindrome
        a. Give a list of expected functionality for the “Linked List” data structure
        b. Write a function to reverse a Linked List
        a. Write a function to determine if a number is prime.
        b. Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.
        c. Write a function to round a float to the nearest integer (i.e. 3.14 = 3, 3.56 = 4).
    4. Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.
    Example,

5-3-1
    5-3-2
    5-7-5
    5-7-8

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.   Answer Question
    • Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Submitting resume at campus recruiting. Two stages. Interviewing with one HR officer and one technical officer. Question includes why Microsoft, what makes good code/bad code, your favourite coding languages, puzzles. Technical questions involve how you deal with problems while coding, arrays, queue implementation .... More thorough technical interview in the final round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2012.

I got the interview through university career events applications. I guess you have a better chance than applying online if you apply through your university. The interview had 2 rounds; the first round was mostly about my background and what I like and dont like about microsoft and how can I improve it. In addition to some technical questions and some design questions like design a clock for blind users.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about hardware, memory allocations, pointers!   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
    • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Submitted my resume during a University Career Fair. Was interviewed two weeks later. The interview was relaxed though it felt like an add campaign for microsoft products. .Net, C#, Visual Studio. Been a Linux user this was a bit uncomfortable for me, but over all the interview was good, though I left not really sure if the interviewer had even looked at my resume, so didn't really understand what type of programming i did.

Interview Questions
    • Given the tuples (Ai, Bi) where Ai < Bi fill out a number line that represents Bi - Ai for all tuples.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

I was contacted by the employer that I have advanced onto phone interview. The interview went smoothly more or less... There was one logical question, one design task, and questions about previous backgrounds