Microsoft

Average Difficulty
507 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I applied the software engineer position online, and get the on-campus interview after few days. Interview had two parts, the general and the technical parts. The general part is about the questions like why did you choose to be a software engineer and why did you choose MS. And the past projects/jobs you have done & what did you learn from that. The technical part is quite easy, which is just a simple coding question.

Interview Question – Find the number of '0' bits in an integer.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Interview Details Submitted resume. Initial interview with recruiter consisted of resume review and a couple of brain teasers. Interview with engineer consisted of a coding question.

Final interview day in Sydney consisted of 3 interviews with engineers.

Interview Questions

• N people in a party consisting of celebrities and normal people. All normal people know the celebrities but celebrities don't know anyone but themselves. Write code to find the celebrity.   Answer Question
  • Given an integer as input, return the number of 1s in the input's binary form.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I handed my resume to the people at the Microsoft stand at my University's career fair and got an email a few weeks after asking me to come to the initial screening. I got to talk to one person about myself for half an hour, including my approach towards software engineering and why encapsulation is important etc. The next half hour was spent solving a simple C problem and talking about the differences between Java and C++.

A few days later I was invited for a full interview in a month. It was a four hour marathon session with four software developers.

Interview Question – This one took me by surprise: write a function in C that will verify if an IPv4 address is correct or not.   View Answer

Sydney

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

Interview Details My first interview was a brief phone screening which was just about me and my projects.

I was then invited to join an online group meeting on Microsoft Lync which is similar to Skype, during which a member of HR spoke to all candidates. They discussed the next interview process and answered any questions asked by the candidates (there were about 35 candidates).

A date and time was allocated by follow-up email for each of us to attend the interview in the Sydney Office. On my interview day, there was a total of 5 interviewers (all senior members of the Microsoft team), and 5 interviewees. We each received 3-4, 1on1 interviews in separate rooms, rotating between the interviewers. A decision may be made after 3 interviews or you may be given a final 4th interview if needed.

I went through a total of 4 interviews, 45 minutes each with 15 minute break in-between. The breaks were spent with the other candidates and a member of the HR who discussed about Microsoft’s work and workplace.

The interviews generally went like so:
First 5-15 minutes:
• The interviewer introduces themselves and their job.
• Asks about you, your projects and your past work (basically your resume).
Next 25-35 minutes:
• Interviewer gives you 1-2 problems, you are to provide your implementation on the white board.
• Interviewer asks you to give test cases to your implementation.
Final 5 minutes:
• Any questions you may have for the interviewer.

My Interview Questions:
1. Write a function to determine if a string is a Palindrome
    a. Give a list of expected functionality for the “Linked List” data structure
    b. Write a function to reverse a Linked List
    a. Write a function to determine if a number is prime.
    b. Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.
    c. Write a function to round a float to the nearest integer (i.e. 3.14 = 3, 3.56 = 4).
4. Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.
Example,

5-3-1
5-3-2
5-7-5
5-7-8

Interview Questions

• Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.   Answer Question
  • Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.   Answer Question

Adelaide

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details Submitting resume at campus recruiting. Two stages. Interviewing with one HR officer and one technical officer. Question includes why Microsoft, what makes good code/bad code, your favourite coding languages, puzzles. Technical questions involve how you deal with problems while coding, arrays, queue implementation .... More thorough technical interview in the final round.

Interview Question – How do you test a website?   View Answer

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2012.

Interview Details I got the interview through university career events applications. I guess you have a better chance than applying online if you apply through your university. The interview had 2 rounds; the first round was mostly about my background and what I like and dont like about microsoft and how can I improve it. In addition to some technical questions and some design questions like design a clock for blind users.

Interview Question – Questions about hardware, memory allocations, pointers!   Answer Question

Warangal (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Interview Details round -0 onlinegeneral aptitude( c based mcq ) 20 questions in 15 mins
round -0.1 online coding test about 2 questions for 1 hr
round -1 written test about 2 questions for 1 hr
round -2 technical interview about a question until u answer acoordingly
round -3 technical interview about random questions until ur course

Interview Question – find n noded bst in binary tree   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

Interview Details I was recruited by a Microsoft university recruiter. A week later had the interview at the university.

2 interviews approx 30 mins each

1. technical interview.
Asked about programming background
what technology are you interested in that will impact the future, why, how and who would use it.
 this was more about passion rather than technical
coding questions

2. personality interview
went through resume and asked general HR questions.
talked about team and individual projects.
asked about why and when you would use different languages.

Interview Question – reverse a linked list.
should check for all corner cases, and talk aloud about approach
good idea to list all the different inputs and expected outputs
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Interview Details Contacted by recruiter, whole process took about 1.5 month. After phone interview, recruiter told me I 'll have 3 rounds for onsite, but I actually got five rounds, each one for 1h... All interviewers are really nice people.

Interview Question – Normal interview questions, not hard. 1. Search element in rotated sorted array. 2 Find top two biggest elements in array. 3. Inorder tree traversal (implement iterator). 4. LinkedList operation...Forget other questions, but they are all pretty easy.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I got these questions in my first round of onsite interview.

1. delete all the duplicate numbers in the array.
2. Test the login system of a website and the password security.
3. talk about some of my projects in college.

Interview Question – The first question is the most difficult question in this round.   View Answer

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!