Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

511 interviews

3.2

511 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

I applied the software engineer position online, and get the on-campus interview after few days. Interview had two parts, the general and the technical parts. The general part is about the questions like why did you choose to be a software engineer and why did you choose MS. And the past projects/jobs you have done & what did you learn from that. The technical part is quite easy, which is just a simple coding question.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Submitted resume. Initial interview with recruiter consisted of resume review and a couple of brain teasers. Interview with engineer consisted of a coding question.

Final interview day in Sydney consisted of 3 interviews with engineers.

Interview Questions
    • N people in a party consisting of celebrities and normal people. All normal people know the celebrities but celebrities don't know anyone but themselves. Write code to find the celebrity.   Answer Question
    • Given an integer as input, return the number of 1s in the input's binary form.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

I handed my resume to the people at the Microsoft stand at my University's career fair and got an email a few weeks after asking me to come to the initial screening. I got to talk to one person about myself for half an hour, including my approach towards software engineering and why encapsulation is important etc. The next half hour was spent solving a simple C problem and talking about the differences between Java and C++.

A few days later I was invited for a full interview in a month. It was a four hour marathon session with four software developers.

Interview Questions
    • This one took me by surprise: write a function in C that will verify if an IPv4 address is correct or not.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

My first interview was a brief phone screening which was just about me and my projects.

I was then invited to join an online group meeting on Microsoft Lync which is similar to Skype, during which a member of HR spoke to all candidates. They discussed the next interview process and answered any questions asked by the candidates (there were about 35 candidates).

A date and time was allocated by follow-up email for each of us to attend the interview in the Sydney Office. On my interview day, there was a total of 5 interviewers (all senior members of the Microsoft team), and 5 interviewees. We each received 3-4, 1on1 interviews in separate rooms, rotating between the interviewers. A decision may be made after 3 interviews or you may be given a final 4th interview if needed.

I went through a total of 4 interviews, 45 minutes each with 15 minute break in-between. The breaks were spent with the other candidates and a member of the HR who discussed about Microsoft’s work and workplace.

The interviews generally went like so:
    First 5-15 minutes:
    • The interviewer introduces themselves and their job.
    • Asks about you, your projects and your past work (basically your resume).
    Next 25-35 minutes:
    • Interviewer gives you 1-2 problems, you are to provide your implementation on the white board.
    • Interviewer asks you to give test cases to your implementation.
    Final 5 minutes:
    • Any questions you may have for the interviewer.

My Interview Questions:
    1. Write a function to determine if a string is a Palindrome
        a. Give a list of expected functionality for the “Linked List” data structure
        b. Write a function to reverse a Linked List
        a. Write a function to determine if a number is prime.
        b. Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.
        c. Write a function to round a float to the nearest integer (i.e. 3.14 = 3, 3.56 = 4).
    4. Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.
    Example,

5-3-1
    5-3-2
    5-7-5
    5-7-8

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.   Answer Question
    • Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  Adelaide
    Anonymous Employee in Adelaide

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Submitting resume at campus recruiting. Two stages. Interviewing with one HR officer and one technical officer. Question includes why Microsoft, what makes good code/bad code, your favourite coding languages, puzzles. Technical questions involve how you deal with problems while coding, arrays, queue implementation .... More thorough technical interview in the final round.

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2012.

I got the interview through university career events applications. I guess you have a better chance than applying online if you apply through your university. The interview had 2 rounds; the first round was mostly about my background and what I like and dont like about microsoft and how can I improve it. In addition to some technical questions and some design questions like design a clock for blind users.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about hardware, memory allocations, pointers!   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

Consisted of 15 mcqs mostly related to c/c++ and probability. It was fairly easy and very few people were eliminated
    Round 2(online)(1 hour):
    Round 3(Group fly round)(30 minutes) :
    Round 4(F2F)(90 minutes):
    Round 5(F2F):

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of integers where all the elements occur odd number of times except 3 elements which occur even number of times, find the 3 elements.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

There was a written test(15 MCQ ques which mainly consists of basic C questions by cocubes).50 students were shortlisted followed by coding round(2 questions).Around 25 students were shortlisted further.Then 3 interviews + HR round was there.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Applies through university.First, there was a written coding test- where there were two easy coding questions- one was if u have a rotated sorted array, write the function to find a given key in o(logn).
    In the interviews they asked questions on DS and many OS questions.
    There was:
    1) coding round
    2) write a code on paper for the given problem
    3) Technical interview 1
    4) Technical interview 2
    5) HR

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

The recruiter had a quick chat with me before arranging for a technical interview for evaluating my problem solving/algorithms/programming skills. The technical interview was conducted over phone and collabedit. I was given a programming problem (to be solved in the language of my choice). I used JavaScript to write the solution. The interviewer pointed out the need for optimization and gave some hints. I quickly figured out a fairly optimized code.

The interviewer didn't sound too impressed with my performance. As the problem was fairly simple, he probably expected me to write a perfectly optimized code on the first shot. In my opinion, I exhibited the ability to discuss and think through solutions, rather than being well-versed in solving a certain class of problems.

There is no telling what works.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or particularly difficult. What is really hard is that the transparency is one way. You give your answers and you will never get to know what the interviewer was expecting to hear.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!