Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 20 Apr 2015

3.2

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied the software engineer position online, and get the on-campus interview after few days. Interview had two parts, the general and the technical parts. The general part is about the questions like why did you choose to be a software engineer and why did you choose MS. And the past projects/jobs you have done & what did you learn from that. The technical part is quite easy, which is just a simple coding question.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Sydney).

Interview

I handed my resume to the people at the Microsoft stand at my University's career fair and got an email a few weeks after asking me to come to the initial screening. I got to talk to one person about myself for half an hour, including my approach towards software engineering and why encapsulation is important etc. The next half hour was spent solving a simple C problem and talking about the differences between Java and C++.

A few days later I was invited for a full interview in a month. It was a four hour marathon session with four software developers.

Interview Questions

• This one took me by surprise: write a function in C that will verify if an IPv4 address is correct or not.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Sydney) in May 2013.

Interview

Submitted resume. Initial interview with recruiter consisted of resume review and a couple of brain teasers. Interview with engineer consisted of a coding question.

Final interview day in Sydney consisted of 3 interviews with engineers.

Interview Questions

• N people in a party consisting of celebrities and normal people. All normal people know the celebrities but celebrities don't know anyone but themselves. Write code to find the celebrity.   Answer Question
    • Given an integer as input, return the number of 1s in the input's binary form.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Sydney) in April 2013.

Interview

My first interview was a brief phone screening which was just about me and my projects.

I was then invited to join an online group meeting on Microsoft Lync which is similar to Skype, during which a member of HR spoke to all candidates. They discussed the next interview process and answered any questions asked by the candidates (there were about 35 candidates).

A date and time was allocated by follow-up email for each of us to attend the interview in the Sydney Office. On my interview day, there was a total of 5 interviewers (all senior members of the Microsoft team), and 5 interviewees. We each received 3-4, 1on1 interviews in separate rooms, rotating between the interviewers. A decision may be made after 3 interviews or you may be given a final 4th interview if needed.

I went through a total of 4 interviews, 45 minutes each with 15 minute break in-between. The breaks were spent with the other candidates and a member of the HR who discussed about Microsoft’s work and workplace.

The interviews generally went like so:
    First 5-15 minutes:
    • The interviewer introduces themselves and their job.
    • Asks about you, your projects and your past work (basically your resume).
    Next 25-35 minutes:
    • Interviewer gives you 1-2 problems, you are to provide your implementation on the white board.
    • Interviewer asks you to give test cases to your implementation.
    Final 5 minutes:
    • Any questions you may have for the interviewer.

My Interview Questions:
    1. Write a function to determine if a string is a Palindrome
        a. Give a list of expected functionality for the “Linked List” data structure
        b. Write a function to reverse a Linked List
        a. Write a function to determine if a number is prime.
        b. Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.
        c. Write a function to round a float to the nearest integer (i.e. 3.14 = 3, 3.56 = 4).
    4. Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.
    Example,

5-3-1
    5-3-2
    5-7-5
    5-7-8

Interview Questions

• Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.   Answer Question
    • Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Adelaide

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Adelaide) in December 2012.

Interview

Submitting resume at campus recruiting. Two stages. Interviewing with one HR officer and one technical officer. Question includes why Microsoft, what makes good code/bad code, your favourite coding languages, puzzles. Technical questions involve how you deal with problems while coding, arrays, queue implementation .... More thorough technical interview in the final round.

Interview Questions

• How do you test a website?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Sydney) in August 2012.

Interview

I got the interview through university career events applications. I guess you have a better chance than applying online if you apply through your university. The interview had 2 rounds; the first round was mostly about my background and what I like and dont like about microsoft and how can I improve it. In addition to some technical questions and some design questions like design a clock for blind users.

Interview Questions

• Questions about hardware, memory allocations, pointers!   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)).

Interview

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I have been asked to describe past projects i had.
    Had to write the fibonacci algorithm.
    Had to design a monopol game,and its api.
    I have been interviewed 1:1, recommend people to get prepared well before,and review algorithms and ds models.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter came to campus at a career fair. Had a 30 minute interview roughly 2 weeks after submitting survey. I was applying for a position that goes to 4th years normally so it was tougher than expected. 1 behavioral question.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Sent in resume, got a phone call that was very high-level and just asking things like am I allowed to work in US, etc. Then I was sent info to set up a technical lync interview with the project lead. This was enjoyable and fairly relaxed. You type code in whatever language you want. I think they like to see your thought process and they will help you if you talk through it and ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a linked list. Implement and evaluate expected runtime of bogoSort.   Answer Question