Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 27 Sep 2014

3.2

522 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

I applied the software engineer position online, and get the on-campus interview after few days. Interview had two parts, the general and the technical parts. The general part is about the questions like why did you choose to be a software engineer and why did you choose MS. And the past projects/jobs you have done & what did you learn from that. The technical part is quite easy, which is just a simple coding question.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

I handed my resume to the people at the Microsoft stand at my University's career fair and got an email a few weeks after asking me to come to the initial screening. I got to talk to one person about myself for half an hour, including my approach towards software engineering and why encapsulation is important etc. The next half hour was spent solving a simple C problem and talking about the differences between Java and C++.

A few days later I was invited for a full interview in a month. It was a four hour marathon session with four software developers.

Interview Questions
    • This one took me by surprise: write a function in C that will verify if an IPv4 address is correct or not.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Submitted resume. Initial interview with recruiter consisted of resume review and a couple of brain teasers. Interview with engineer consisted of a coding question.

Final interview day in Sydney consisted of 3 interviews with engineers.

Interview Questions
    • N people in a party consisting of celebrities and normal people. All normal people know the celebrities but celebrities don't know anyone but themselves. Write code to find the celebrity.   Answer Question
    • Given an integer as input, return the number of 1s in the input's binary form.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

My first interview was a brief phone screening which was just about me and my projects.

I was then invited to join an online group meeting on Microsoft Lync which is similar to Skype, during which a member of HR spoke to all candidates. They discussed the next interview process and answered any questions asked by the candidates (there were about 35 candidates).

A date and time was allocated by follow-up email for each of us to attend the interview in the Sydney Office. On my interview day, there was a total of 5 interviewers (all senior members of the Microsoft team), and 5 interviewees. We each received 3-4, 1on1 interviews in separate rooms, rotating between the interviewers. A decision may be made after 3 interviews or you may be given a final 4th interview if needed.

I went through a total of 4 interviews, 45 minutes each with 15 minute break in-between. The breaks were spent with the other candidates and a member of the HR who discussed about Microsoft’s work and workplace.

The interviews generally went like so:
    First 5-15 minutes:
    • The interviewer introduces themselves and their job.
    • Asks about you, your projects and your past work (basically your resume).
    Next 25-35 minutes:
    • Interviewer gives you 1-2 problems, you are to provide your implementation on the white board.
    • Interviewer asks you to give test cases to your implementation.
    Final 5 minutes:
    • Any questions you may have for the interviewer.

My Interview Questions:
    1. Write a function to determine if a string is a Palindrome
        a. Give a list of expected functionality for the “Linked List” data structure
        b. Write a function to reverse a Linked List
        a. Write a function to determine if a number is prime.
        b. Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.
        c. Write a function to round a float to the nearest integer (i.e. 3.14 = 3, 3.56 = 4).
    4. Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.
    Example,

5-3-1
    5-3-2
    5-7-5
    5-7-8

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.   Answer Question
    • Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Adelaide
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Submitting resume at campus recruiting. Two stages. Interviewing with one HR officer and one technical officer. Question includes why Microsoft, what makes good code/bad code, your favourite coding languages, puzzles. Technical questions involve how you deal with problems while coding, arrays, queue implementation .... More thorough technical interview in the final round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2012.

I got the interview through university career events applications. I guess you have a better chance than applying online if you apply through your university. The interview had 2 rounds; the first round was mostly about my background and what I like and dont like about microsoft and how can I improve it. In addition to some technical questions and some design questions like design a clock for blind users.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about hardware, memory allocations, pointers!   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
    • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft.

Talked to Microsoft at the university career fair. The day before the interview there was a little session with the interviewers which was pretty helpful. Had a 45 minute technical interview the next day on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse the words in a sentence.

For example, "Have a nice day" becomes "day nice a Have"
        View Answers (5)

Software Development Engineer Interview

Questions on Data structures, algorithms, coding etc. some puzzles also. More than the solution the approach to solving a problem is important and talking your solution through convincingly. Answers to coding questions must have test cases, exception handling, readable code with comments, and also be able to satisfy most input sets.

Interview Questions
    • must be able to explain the thought process behind solution well.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I submit my resume in Microsoft campus recruiting and was invited for an interview. The interview lasts for 30 minutes and starts with some questions about my background. After that, the interviewer gave a coding problem which was quite simple. I was a little nervous since this was the first interview in my life. I solved the problem and wrote the code in C++ in 20 minutes. Normally, this kind of problem should not take more than ten minutes for me. I waited for a week and didn't hear anything back.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!