Microsoft

Updated 24 Jan 2015

3.2

638 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I applied the software engineer position online, and get the on-campus interview after few days. Interview had two parts, the general and the technical parts. The general part is about the questions like why did you choose to be a software engineer and why did you choose MS. And the past projects/jobs you have done & what did you learn from that. The technical part is quite easy, which is just a simple coding question.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I handed my resume to the people at the Microsoft stand at my University's career fair and got an email a few weeks after asking me to come to the initial screening. I got to talk to one person about myself for half an hour, including my approach towards software engineering and why encapsulation is important etc. The next half hour was spent solving a simple C problem and talking about the differences between Java and C++.

A few days later I was invited for a full interview in a month. It was a four hour marathon session with four software developers.

Interview Questions
    • This one took me by surprise: write a function in C that will verify if an IPv4 address is correct or not.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Submitted resume. Initial interview with recruiter consisted of resume review and a couple of brain teasers. Interview with engineer consisted of a coding question.

Final interview day in Sydney consisted of 3 interviews with engineers.

Interview Questions
    • N people in a party consisting of celebrities and normal people. All normal people know the celebrities but celebrities don't know anyone but themselves. Write code to find the celebrity.   Answer Question
    • Given an integer as input, return the number of 1s in the input's binary form.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

My first interview was a brief phone screening which was just about me and my projects.

I was then invited to join an online group meeting on Microsoft Lync which is similar to Skype, during which a member of HR spoke to all candidates. They discussed the next interview process and answered any questions asked by the candidates (there were about 35 candidates).

A date and time was allocated by follow-up email for each of us to attend the interview in the Sydney Office. On my interview day, there was a total of 5 interviewers (all senior members of the Microsoft team), and 5 interviewees. We each received 3-4, 1on1 interviews in separate rooms, rotating between the interviewers. A decision may be made after 3 interviews or you may be given a final 4th interview if needed.

I went through a total of 4 interviews, 45 minutes each with 15 minute break in-between. The breaks were spent with the other candidates and a member of the HR who discussed about Microsoft’s work and workplace.

The interviews generally went like so:
    First 5-15 minutes:
    • The interviewer introduces themselves and their job.
    • Asks about you, your projects and your past work (basically your resume).
    Next 25-35 minutes:
    • Interviewer gives you 1-2 problems, you are to provide your implementation on the white board.
    • Interviewer asks you to give test cases to your implementation.
    Final 5 minutes:
    • Any questions you may have for the interviewer.

My Interview Questions:
    1. Write a function to determine if a string is a Palindrome
        a. Give a list of expected functionality for the “Linked List” data structure
        b. Write a function to reverse a Linked List
        a. Write a function to determine if a number is prime.
        b. Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.
        c. Write a function to round a float to the nearest integer (i.e. 3.14 = 3, 3.56 = 4).
    4. Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.
    Example,

5-3-1
    5-3-2
    5-7-5
    5-7-8

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.   Answer Question
    • Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Submitting resume at campus recruiting. Two stages. Interviewing with one HR officer and one technical officer. Question includes why Microsoft, what makes good code/bad code, your favourite coding languages, puzzles. Technical questions involve how you deal with problems while coding, arrays, queue implementation .... More thorough technical interview in the final round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2012.

I got the interview through university career events applications. I guess you have a better chance than applying online if you apply through your university. The interview had 2 rounds; the first round was mostly about my background and what I like and dont like about microsoft and how can I improve it. In addition to some technical questions and some design questions like design a clock for blind users.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about hardware, memory allocations, pointers!   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I went through the college recruiting process. Microsoft was among the companies that set up stations at our computer science major recruiting fair where I signed up. The first round was on campus: lasted about 40 minutes, and was easy for a computer science major. About a week later, a recruiter emailed me to tell me that I was being invited for on-site interviews in Redmond (Seattle), WA. The recruiters are extremely fast and helpful in communicating; interestingly, Microsoft's recruiting process outdoes other companies (Google, FB etc) completely in efficiency and generosity. You're flown out to Redmond and stay in a really comfy hotel with a generous spending budget.

Now, it's good to know how on-site interviews work: you begin your day early by meeting with your recruiter, who you should befriend since they are "on your side", so to speak, and their input can matter in the decision process. Then, you have consecutive technical interviews lasting about an hour each. You don't have to do perfectly in all of them, but I had a very strong feeling that the first 2 are the most important. The first one is particularly important. If you are doing well, you will get a 4th and sometimes 5th technical interview. If you're lucky, you will afterwards get a final interview with a manager of sometimes, like in my case, a really impressive big boss type person. This big boss can basically hire you on the spot, and its pretty cool that you get to meet someone like this.

Don't forget that for Microsoft, as well as other companies, several things matter for college recruiting; your interviews, first and foremost, but also your coursework, projects, grades, internship experiences, etc. Also, knowing more math than average CS majors helps.

The next day I found out that I was getting an offer, and the next business day after that my recruiter called me with the details over the phone. Microsoft really, really wants smart new grads. The company and culture has REALLY been improving the past few years, and they want smart new grads to keep that up. Offers are actually more generous than at other competing companies.

In my case, you might really like the people you meet or have a personal connection with the big boss type person at the end, in which case your offer could potentially be for the team you actually interviewed with. In this case, you have a choice whether you want to be with that team or go back in the general "hired" pool which is distributed into teams at some later point.

Interview Questions
    • Thing of a simple O(n^3) algorithm for finding the longest palindrome in a string. Now a O(n^2) one. Now a O(n log n) one.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

1 technical phone screen interview followed by 5 onsite interviews. The phone screen was very straightforward. The onsite were completely technical and thorough. However if you are very comfortable with all the tree, LL, graph questions then you should be able to a decent job. All the interviewers were very friendly and always gave hints etc.

Interview Questions
    • Designing memory management system. Coming straight out of college, I am not used to this. But the interviewer gave me enough pointers that I was able to do a decent job.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I applied online early in September, the process was quick. I got a email from them saying that they are interested in interviewing. So I said yes. I prepared writing code and everything. However, the first interview is ALL about behavior questions. And talking about different programming languages and etc.

Interview Questions
    • I think I gave a really bad answer when he ask the most difficult technical problem that you have encountered. And I didn't prepare for that at all, which is my fault indeed...   View Answer