Microsoft

Average Difficulty
499 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I applied the software engineer position online, and get the on-campus interview after few days. Interview had two parts, the general and the technical parts. The general part is about the questions like why did you choose to be a software engineer and why did you choose MS. And the past projects/jobs you have done & what did you learn from that. The technical part is quite easy, which is just a simple coding question.

Interview Question – Find the number of '0' bits in an integer.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Interview Details Submitted resume. Initial interview with recruiter consisted of resume review and a couple of brain teasers. Interview with engineer consisted of a coding question.

Final interview day in Sydney consisted of 3 interviews with engineers.

Interview Questions

• N people in a party consisting of celebrities and normal people. All normal people know the celebrities but celebrities don't know anyone but themselves. Write code to find the celebrity.   Answer Question
  • Given an integer as input, return the number of 1s in the input's binary form.   Answer Question

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details I handed my resume to the people at the Microsoft stand at my University's career fair and got an email a few weeks after asking me to come to the initial screening. I got to talk to one person about myself for half an hour, including my approach towards software engineering and why encapsulation is important etc. The next half hour was spent solving a simple C problem and talking about the differences between Java and C++.

A few days later I was invited for a full interview in a month. It was a four hour marathon session with four software developers.

Interview Question – This one took me by surprise: write a function in C that will verify if an IPv4 address is correct or not.   View Answer

Sydney

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2013.

Interview Details My first interview was a brief phone screening which was just about me and my projects.

I was then invited to join an online group meeting on Microsoft Lync which is similar to Skype, during which a member of HR spoke to all candidates. They discussed the next interview process and answered any questions asked by the candidates (there were about 35 candidates).

A date and time was allocated by follow-up email for each of us to attend the interview in the Sydney Office. On my interview day, there was a total of 5 interviewers (all senior members of the Microsoft team), and 5 interviewees. We each received 3-4, 1on1 interviews in separate rooms, rotating between the interviewers. A decision may be made after 3 interviews or you may be given a final 4th interview if needed.

I went through a total of 4 interviews, 45 minutes each with 15 minute break in-between. The breaks were spent with the other candidates and a member of the HR who discussed about Microsoft’s work and workplace.

The interviews generally went like so:
First 5-15 minutes:
• The interviewer introduces themselves and their job.
• Asks about you, your projects and your past work (basically your resume).
Next 25-35 minutes:
• Interviewer gives you 1-2 problems, you are to provide your implementation on the white board.
• Interviewer asks you to give test cases to your implementation.
Final 5 minutes:
• Any questions you may have for the interviewer.

My Interview Questions:
1. Write a function to determine if a string is a Palindrome
    a. Give a list of expected functionality for the “Linked List” data structure
    b. Write a function to reverse a Linked List
    a. Write a function to determine if a number is prime.
    b. Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.
    c. Write a function to round a float to the nearest integer (i.e. 3.14 = 3, 3.56 = 4).
4. Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.
Example,

5-3-1
5-3-2
5-7-5
5-7-8

Interview Questions

• Write a function to reverse an integer (i.e. 123 = 321), with O(1) space complexity.   Answer Question
  • Write a function to print all paths of a binary tree to a certain depth/length.   Answer Question

Adelaide

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details Submitting resume at campus recruiting. Two stages. Interviewing with one HR officer and one technical officer. Question includes why Microsoft, what makes good code/bad code, your favourite coding languages, puzzles. Technical questions involve how you deal with problems while coding, arrays, queue implementation .... More thorough technical interview in the final round.

Interview Question – How do you test a website?   View Answer

Sydney

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2012.

Interview Details I got the interview through university career events applications. I guess you have a better chance than applying online if you apply through your university. The interview had 2 rounds; the first round was mostly about my background and what I like and dont like about microsoft and how can I improve it. In addition to some technical questions and some design questions like design a clock for blind users.

Interview Question – Questions about hardware, memory allocations, pointers!   Answer Question

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and passed a online coding test, just questions normal coding interview questions. Then a online personality test which called SLA. After that I got a onsite interview on Microsoft Shanghai Campus. There are 3 technical interviews. The last two interviewer are very nice, while the first interviewer is anxious and arrogant. I did badly at the first, but did well for the next two.

Interview Question – There are 3 onsite technical interviews. All of them start with a 5 minutes self introduction and most favorite project as warm up. Technical questions for each round:
1. How to detect whether two given linked list have common parts;
2.Anagram and extended to deal with large scale case;
3. Search for words in a random character matrix like a Gluttonous Snake game, given a dictionary of legal words for match, and required to analysis the time complexity.
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2010.

Interview Details standard questions about 5 hours. The interview process is not painful and some whiteboard coding and algorithm discussions. The hiring manager is very nice and discussed a lot about the team.

Interview Question – something about image processing which i have no experience   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details This is a phone interview, and It is about 30 minutes long.
There are some technical questions and basic data structure questions.Then there is a question about the course project I have done and some extended topics.

Interview Question – I applied online and set me a 30 min on phone interview. There are two data structure questions and some other questions about course projects I have done.   View Answer

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details Phone interview followed by one day site visit. Site visit consisted of one-on-one conversations with multiple people, who were potential peers or managers of target and other groups. Interviews with the junior people covered technical questions only, typically tied to challenges they themselves saw at work, while those with managers covered mostly behavioral and situational questions.

Interview Question – Questions about very particular situations arising in their work context.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!