Morgan Stanley

3.2

Global Capital Markets Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Excellent process, started all interview calls on the day the deadline was due. HR was lovely and supportive.
    2 rounds of interviews, with a mix of behaviourial and technical questions. Quite a few valuation questions, what's going on in the marketplace etc.
    Interviewers were friendly, funny and honest - overall a very positive experience despite not getting the job!

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose a particular multiple for the valuation of a certain company?   Answer Question

Public Finance Summer Analyst Interview

They want to ensure that you know technicals and that you are a good fit for the group. That being said, if they see potential in you, they are willing to teach you a lot of the technicals.

Interview Questions
    • Why Morgan Stanley? Why do you want to go into public finance?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

you have to take an exam for quant position before the interview process
    involving math, finance, stochastic and programming knowledge.
    60 min 60 questions.
    cannot finish it and did not do well
    did not get the interview opportunity

Interview Questions
    • involving math, finance, stochastic and programming knowledge.   Answer Question

Summer Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

The first round was one 30 minute interview. The second round consisted of two 30 minute interviews and one hour long group interview with 5 other people. Everyone that I talked to was very helpful with answering my questions and very friendly. HR got back to me very quickly.

No negotiations.

Summer Trading Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

First round was at University, you find out if you made it to the next round through phone call
    Second round was in person and I was flown out to NYC

Interview Questions
    • First round: By far the toughest. Two interviewers in one cubicle at my university. One was asking brain teasers and the other asking mental math questions at the same time. Seemed crazy difficult at the time and felt like I didn't answer anything well. However, got past this round because they were really looking to see how good you would do under pressure. That is the key here.
      Second round: Personality type questions, strength/weakness questions.

Answer Question

Tech Summer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

The interview starts straightly to technical question. These questions are mostly sorting algorithms, their complexity, basic database sql. The recruiter asked questions really fast and push quite pressures on me.

Institutional Equity Sales & Trading Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Applied through school's career website, attended a networking session, reached out to a couple of analysts and was invited to a first round interview.

Interviewers tried to distract you as you told your story.

Interview consisted of questions about the markets, such as where the S&P was that day and what is going on in the news, other fit questions such as the interests on your résumé, and why Morgan Stanley.

Interview Questions
    • If you had $1 million, which 3 commodities would you invest in?   Answer Question

Capital Markets Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

30 minute phone screen. One super day with three interviews, and a fifteen minute sales pitch. Interviews were pretty standard, good mix of technical and behavioral. Interviewers picked apart candidates in sales pitch. I suggest if you pitch a stock, look at MS stance on the stock. One candidate pitched to buy a stock MS saw as a sell, and they tore her apart.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

1st round was a mixture of standard behavioural & technical questions - why Morgan Stanley, various valuation techniques. Generally friendly
    2nd round was much more aggressive. The interviewer asked me about recent deals that I have followed & was digging into detail for which I wasn't that prepared. After that the interviewer asked me about a couple of valuation technique questions and ended the interview abruptly.

Interview Questions
    • Which of the three valuations gives the highest estimate and why?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

The entire interview process took 1 week. MS held a Pre-interview Q&A panel on Monday where you got to meet the people who you will be interviewing with. The actual interview was on Wednesday and all of the questions asked required specific examples from past experiences. Superday was on Thursday and consisted of 2 one on one interviews and one group presentation. All questions were behavioral/fit. The group presentation consists of working in a team to create something and presenting the results. General format of the presentation: Two competing teams working on a single assignment, halfway through, you are given a massive restriction/change in the assignment to see how you think on your feet.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you: worked in a team, worked with a difficult person, worked harder than you expected, worked in what you would consider the best team you ever had, had a conflict with a teammate, had a difficult conversation with another person.   Answer Question