Morgan Stanley

3.2

Global Capital Markets Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Excellent process, started all interview calls on the day the deadline was due. HR was lovely and supportive.
    2 rounds of interviews, with a mix of behaviourial and technical questions. Quite a few valuation questions, what's going on in the marketplace etc.
    Interviewers were friendly, funny and honest - overall a very positive experience despite not getting the job!

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose a particular multiple for the valuation of a certain company?   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2014.

Applied through their careers platform for a Summer Internship in Technology in London. Got a phone interview two weeks later. The interview lasted for 40 minutes, but was mostly technical. You might get asked why technology and that's it, the interviewer will jump right into technical questions. The monotone interviewer felt slightly hostile. Be prepared to be asked detailed questions about a programming language you mentioned on the CV and eventually some concepts you might not be familiar with, so make sure you do some reading beforehand and take a look at some of the questions below.

Interview Questions
    • Advantages of OOP, what is it and how does it work?
      What is encapsulation?
      How does error handling works?
      Do you know what is exception handling?
      How does an hash table works?
      What is bubble sort? What is its complexity?
      What is quick sort? Do you now less complex sorting algorithms?
      What about merge sort?
      How does multithreading works? Advantages and Disadvantages? What is the race condition?
      Walk me through the several SQL commands? How to add and delete information in a DB?

Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

First round was 30 minute phone interview, basic behavioral questions. Second was 2 interviews in person and a group activity. Most of the same questions in every interview. Why ops, why MS, etc.

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

The whole process was relatively quick. Application and tests are quite typical, nothing special.

Phone interview is purely competency based. Tell me about a time when you showed... Why MS, why operations.

AC was only 3,5 hours and very casual. MS booked me a nice hotel and paid for the trip. Everyone's very nice and the London Office is amazing, although it might be a bit difficult to find as there's no sign saying MS outside.

AC started with a group exercise. Again, standard text book stuff. Had a budget, 30 minutes. Everyone had their priorities what to include in the budget. Half way through they gave us new information. Contribute, don't dominate, listen, ask questions, keep time, tell others to move on if short of time.

Then there was a short networking session with 3 guys on industrial placement. Gave a good insight.

Finally, 2 interviews. If you felt good with the phone interview, these will make you feel even better, since they are exactly the same type of questions. Maybe additionally something about regulations.

Sales and Trading Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

I applied online for the Asia offices and was notified of being shortlisted for multiple positions around two weeks later. A week after that I had my first-round interviews by phone. A few days thereafter I only received one call back for the second round interview.

The first round interviews were conducted by Executive Directors. Both were very nice, mostly asking about my resume, short life story, why Morgan Stanley, etc. No technical questions but they did ask about markets, financial news, and relevant news for Hong Kong; they were also interested in my opinions and economic intuition about financial developments.

A Vice President conducted the second round interview. The interview was largely the same as the first round interviews with a lot of personal questions and no technical questions, just some questions about the markets as expected. The only difference from the first round interviews was that I was asked in which subgroup of sales and trading that I would be most interested in.

They do look at everything on your resume during the interview process including your hobbies so be sure to back up your claimed interests. Also, if you state that you can speak an Asian language, you had better be able to converse with the interviewer fluently.

I know that Superday will be in early January so they will fly you in to the Asia offices for additional rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What has been going on in Hong Kong financial news? (Follow-up) Is the establishment of the Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect a good thing or a bad thing?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Applied Online, numerical tests and got an invite for phone interview 3 weeks later. The phone interview was about 30 minutes and the interviewer was indeed aggressive and challenged everything I said.

Interview Questions
    • How did the recent financial crisis start? What is your opinion about the recent regulations?   Answer Question

Sales and Trading Summer Analyst Interview

Applied online with CV and cover letter. 2 telephone interviews. both interviewers extremely friendly and helpful. interviews were quite casual. invited to assessment centre, due to attend in a couple of weeks. will update review after that.

Summer Analyst Interview

First round is on-campus interview then followed by usual recruitment process for me. Both technical and competency/experience-based, quite friendly in general, but be prepared to talk about current developments in financial markets

Interview Questions
    • How to hedge a digital option and draw its delta   View Answer

Operations Placement Interview

Online application - telephone interview.

Was all competency based, fairly standard questions:

- Why us?
    - Why ops?
    - Client service
    - Leadership
    - Team work

Got back to me two weeks after the interview with a rejection email.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

I applied on their own website. Got a first round interview after about 3 weeks. First round consists of 2 phone calls. The format was pretty standard, although they were straight for the chase in terms of technical questions.