Morgan Stanley Interview Questions

3.2

Global Capital Markets Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Excellent process, started all interview calls on the day the deadline was due. HR was lovely and supportive.
    2 rounds of interviews, with a mix of behaviourial and technical questions. Quite a few valuation questions, what's going on in the marketplace etc.
    Interviewers were friendly, funny and honest - overall a very positive experience despite not getting the job!

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose a particular multiple for the valuation of a certain company?   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Morgan Stanley visited our campus for placements. We first had a online aptitude and coding test. The test could be answered in either C/C++ or Java.The aptitude questions were more difficult than the coding questions. 24 students were shortlisted for the interviews and after 4 rounds of interviewing 6 of us were selected.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you would design and implement the pattern unlock lock screen of android   Answer Question

Registered Client Service Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in June 2013.

Got my job through networking and meeting one of the FAs. Interviewed with the FA team, the Branch Manager, and the client service manager. Standard interview questions - what are your strengths, what are your weaknesses. where will you be in 5 years.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

The entire process took about 4 interviews. First, with the director of the area, then with software developers from NY, then with HR vice president and finally I the offered me the position. I

Interview Questions
    • How to detect where a variable is allocated (HEAP or STACK).   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

The process was the typical for a big IB: numerical and verbal test, telephone interview, in-person final interviews etc...
    The questions in the telephone interview were very strange and the analyst who asked them was clear about the fact that they were just given to him but he thought they were stupid.

Interview Questions
    • Question: "A car is going fast on a road. There is a man in the middle of the road. Due to a major blackout, all the lights in the street are not working. The car battery has a problem so its lights don't work either. There are no emergency battery-powered lights etc...
      However, the car avoids the man in the middle of the road. How/Why?
        View Answer

Credit Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2013.

online application with CV and cover letter submission, then 1 week later got email from a VP and had 15min phone interview. 2 weeks later invited to AC and had whole day AC at london office. the phone interview was really concise and all about behavioural. the AC included 5 or 6 1:1 interviews with VPs and Directors all about your CV. Group discussion was about deciding a best investment option with each candidate represented one option.

Interview Questions
    • not much, just common questions, lots of behavioural, several tech questions including financial statements. the case study at the AC is very simple and straight forward. they required you to present both written and presentation on the case but i really feel the written one is not as important as the presentation.

i made several mistakes in the case study and i think it was what stopped me from the hiring process.
        Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

The HR representative was unprofessional an unorganized. I expected something different from Morgan Stanley. The mid office representatives were friendly. The interview questions were very basic. It seems like they are looking for younger people.

Senior Manager - IT Interview

Hiring procedure consisted of couple of telephonic rounds, technical only, they asked simple concepts on Java and Database. Will ask you to write some code and read it out. Will involve design oriented questions and algorithms also.

Interview Questions
    • I could answer all questions, the dificult oneswere on threading and advanced DB design etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiations, i was not looking for a change with money in my mind.

Reconciliation Utility Control Specialist- Firmwide Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in September 2014.

I applied through the company's career page. After one week, I received an email asking my availability for an interview. There was little scheduling hiccup. The HR department doesn't seem very organized. I ended up calling a recruiting specialist from NY office because according to her my phone can't be contacted. She asked usual interview questions - "Why did you leave your last job?", "Why Morgan Stanley?". I didn't know I was scheduled for an in person interview until the day before the scheduled interview. I came in and was interviewed for 2 hours by 4 different people - one after the other.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are usual behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Graduate Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Goregaon East (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goregaon East (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

There were just 2 rounds:
    1. by the team leader
    2. Managerial round

GT is basically a contractual position of 6 months and depending on their need, requirement and candidates performance, they might extend the contract and at a later stage if headcounts are available they might even confirm you.

They did not ask me too many technical questions. Most of the questions were from my resume. and rest was process related. For eg.: what is cash recon., why is it required, if balances match are we still required to do cash recon. and there were questions on mutual fund like, what is NAV and its calculation, what is the asset for a Mutual fund.. these questions were asked by the team leader

the Managerial round was almost a formality.

Try to negotiate. don't worry they will come back to you, but push them a little more, stating its after all a contractual position.

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!