Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2014
215 interviews

2.8

FAA Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in July 2014.

The fifteen minute phone screen was scheduled almost immediately after I submitted to the IQ test. The test was pretty simple, straight forwards in nature. The interviewer was very nice and said she would push forward my application to a more in depth interview. The process was pretty reasonable, and I recommend it to most people.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2010.

My interview consisted of being put in an empty office with a phone. I called a number, role played trying to make an appointment with a prospect. Apparently that was all that was needed. I was told I scored the highest anyone had with their branch office and asked "When can you start?".

There was no resume review, no reference checking and not even a sit down Q&A. The whole thing took place with me standing in an open door with a manager standing on their feet as well and didn't even conclude with a handshake.

Registered Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2010.

Submitted resume directly to a branch. Interviewed with branch management and some brokers. More about your personality than anything else. They are just trying to match you with a broker because you are really working more for the broker than the actual branch management.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing tricky. They will ask what your knowledge is of basic order entries but that is about it.   Answer Question
    I just took the offer - need a job more than anything.

VP- Financial Advisor Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interviewed with team of Advisors first. Separate interviews, not two on one. Was impressed by their story of how they ran their practice like a well-oiled machine. Wish it had been true. Then met Office Manager Senior VP for interview that covered all the basics. Then met regional manager briefly for a glossy overview of why it was the best place to work, according to him.

Interview Questions
    • Really didn't find anything too difficult or unexpected during the process.   Answer Question

Asset Management Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

First of all, Excel test regarding corporate finance. How to calculate return of investment, annual payments, and duration. Second, on-site interview. Basically, go through your resume and ask questions involving your relevant work experience.

Legal Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2013.

Took a very long time to get the hiring process going and the Hiring manager was very unresponsive. No one provided me an information when I tried to submit a thank you note.

Interview Questions
    Pretty easy. I was able to give my current salary and they gave me a lot more

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

10 min in person interview. Very informal (at the time).

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult asked. It was more of a brief "shoot the breeze" type of talk.   Answer Question
    They offered $30k, I countered with $33k and they accepted.

Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Palm Beach, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2012.

Quite a long and detailed process. Online resume submittal was very detailed and involved taking a few tests, must pass them btw. Three separate interviews with different managers and all types of questions. process took about three months due to scheduling interviews and waiting for management responses. Back ground check with finger prints. As fun as it gets!

Interview Questions
    • What would your business plan be if hired as a Financial Advisor with the firm?   View Answer
    Yes, negotiate. You are trying to land a "Wall Street" job, everything is negotiable.

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2014.

Applied in October and received a call from a recruiter in February. Quick conversation to confirm interest in the position and schedule a phone interview for the following week.

Interview Questions
    • Basic screening questions. Are you currently working/tell me about your current responsibilties/why are you looking for a new opportunity? Why do you think you're a good fit for this company/position? She offered a brief overview of the position. I wouldn't say this was an unexpected question but she asked what I knew about the company. Final question was in regards to salary. She asked about my current salary and what sort of pay range I was expecting from this position.   View Answer

Mssb Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Quick And easy, had one simple interview in-front of three current employees. Very professional but rigorous.

Interview Questions
    • Why you want this position. They are looking for the right fit, it is to say there is no right or wrong answer to the question but just how you answer. They need to see that you are capable of being yourself and intelligent at the same time. This position required some face to face interaction and was extremely important in the review process.   Answer Question
    Moved to another, higher internship position.

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!