Motorola Mobility

2.8

Graduate Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Adelaide
    Anonymous Employee in Adelaide

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in August 2011.

It was a quick interview with one project manager of local office and one engineering manager of MS, AU.

Engineers are required to be hands-on and could get exposed to different area of networking and telecom: design, order, installation, maintenance, documentation.

The interview was pretty relaxed and conversational

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Radio spectrum and Radio Design, specifically abt VHF/UHF?   Answer Question
    • For two frequencies, one bigger than the other, which one requires bigger antenna to transmit/receive and why?   Answer Question
    • Differentiate Circuit switching and Packet switching   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer QA Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Motorola Mobility.

Fairly simple interview with HR and Team manager.suppose to be three rounds but lucked out with two! Asks simple questions bout my resume which I was able to answer. I know industry standard ask for 3.0 GPA, but I think it's quite not fair. A person's GPA does not show how someone performs at work. This company gave me a really fair chance and would love to work for them but I had to decline it

Interview Questions
    • What is your logic behind a simple login/password access..and a few more i cant remember   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Motorola Mobility.

I applied through University Career Fair and took the interview on Campus after several days. Interviewer is technical lead and is serious but the question is not so hard. Some are common ones and some are based on the resume. It took about 30 minutes to finish the interview. No more feedback from HR after that.

Interview Questions
    • technical and behavior questions based on resume and previous project experience   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Motorola Mobility.

Interviewed by four engineers. The interview lasted about two hours. A decision was not made that day. I also met with a team manager for a non-technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked technical questions in programming language C.   Answer Question

Analog Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in February 2015.

Behavioral interview followed by technical which is still awaited, when contacted in a week got a reply that results are still awaited. Overall interviewer was chill, was an alumni, said if selected in here will be followed by two technical interviews . very slow process HR does not reply fast had to mail multiple times to find out the outcome of interview still always got a reply to be patient

Interview Questions
    • What company does, how ull help company better, what is a leadership experience, how ull decide between two processor supplying companies, how do u test a phone returned by customer complaining battery drainage   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Motorola Mobility.

I met the hiring manager of Motorola at a job fair held by my university and was contacted for an interview after a month or two. I was contacted after a month or two and had a phone interview with the same person that I met at the fair and another engineer that he was with. They asked me pretty standard and behavioral questions, some of the same as in the in-person interview below. I don't remember the phone interview as much as the in-person.The in-person interview was actually quite difficult and lasted almost an hour. I spoke with about 4 different people and with multiple at the same time.

Questions they asked me:
    1) What classes are you currently taking?
    2) What's your biggest strength?
    3) What's your biggest weakness?
    4) How are you classes going?
    5) If you were at a stoplight and the light failed to turn green for a longer than normal amount of time, what would you do? ( I said turn right then make a U-turn =P )
    6) Tell me about a time in which you did not get along with someone, and how did you handle it?
    7) Tell me about a time in which you took charge or were in charge...
    8) They explained to me what the company does at that office, after he asked me what I've learned or what I didn't know or what I liked about the company(I guess to see if I was listening, which is hard to do when nervous).

And some technical questions:
    1) He showed me an inductor connected to a DC voltage source. Close to the aforementioned inductor was another one that was connected to a resistor. He asked for the voltage in the resistor. This one I got correct, the answer is 0 V because the source was DC. The source has AC in order to create a magnetic field in the inductors which results in induced current in the inductor/resistor connection and a voltage seen across the resistor.
    2) I was shown a square within another square and asked how many squares where there. I guessed and got this one incorrect because I had never seen it before. Don't remember the answer. There was an equation that I had to know to solve the problem, but he just wanted to see how I worked through it I suppose.

Interview Questions
    • The stoplight one as aforementioned and the square question.   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

interviewed at Motorola Mobility in October 2014.

Two rounds onsite interview, all of them are your future teammate or your director. And as an entry-level position, they will not ask you very difficult question. But you need to be familiar with the technical things on your resume, because most of questions they ask is based on your resume. Most of the questions is technical ones, they just asked one behavior question, "tell me about you".

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in October 2014.

I applied through my university's co-op service. I had a 45 minute interview with Motorola for their Software Engineering Intern position. The first 5 minutes were about my resume and previous experiences then the rest was a coding challenge. Two and a half weeks later I found out I did not get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • I let my interviewer know that I was in the process of learning data structures & algorithms at school. I don't think I knew the skills to provide an efficient solution to this problem.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility.

Applied online. First got a phone interview, in which I was asked about my interests and what teams I would be interested in joining. Later had phone interviews answering general coding questions. There wasn't really anything out of the ordinary. Code was done over google doc. Phone interviews were around an hour long.

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I applied online – interviewed at Motorola Mobility.

The interview process was in fact very funny.
           The first round was telephonic which they said it was mainly to understand the skills of the employee, what the employee is really interested to work in, by sharing their project requirement with the employee.
            I was communicated that they have understood what I am really looking for and they would redirect my profile to the corresponding team for further interview process. This was very much impressive. But when I attended F2F interview, the panel did not even try to check my core skills. Just with searching and sorting algorithm questions how can a person be judged whether he will fit in their project. I agree that such skills are required for anyone, but not everyone will be an expert with everything, however they should check whether the candidate is in a position to understand their project requirement or think about a solution using his core skills. If the candidate fails to understand the requirement itself, then no one can change their decision to reject such a candidate.
          My point here is at least once the panel should try to check the candidate's core skills. The funny part here is the job profile clearly says the what they are looking for and even after the first round telephonic which was specifically to match my core skills and schedule the interview accordingly, and inspite of that, in the F2F interview my core skills were untouched, and more over in the 1 and half hours process, I spent more than an hour waiting.

Interview Questions
    • They asked only one question on algorithms and they could judge me on that it seems. That was the most unexpected situation in fact :)   Answer Question