Motorola Mobility Interview Questions

2.8

Graduate Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in August 2011.

It was a quick interview with one project manager of local office and one engineering manager of MS, AU.

Engineers are required to be hands-on and could get exposed to different area of networking and telecom: design, order, installation, maintenance, documentation.

The interview was pretty relaxed and conversational

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Radio spectrum and Radio Design, specifically abt VHF/UHF?   Answer Question
    • For two frequencies, one bigger than the other, which one requires bigger antenna to transmit/receive and why?   Answer Question
    • Differentiate Circuit switching and Packet switching   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Motorola Mobility.

I met the hiring manager of Motorola at a job fair held by my university and was contacted for an interview after a month or two. I was contacted after a month or two and had a phone interview with the same person that I met at the fair and another engineer that he was with. They asked me pretty standard and behavioral questions, some of the same as in the in-person interview below. I don't remember the phone interview as much as the in-person.The in-person interview was actually quite difficult and lasted almost an hour. I spoke with about 4 different people and with multiple at the same time.

Questions they asked me:
    1) What classes are you currently taking?
    2) What's your biggest strength?
    3) What's your biggest weakness?
    4) How are you classes going?
    5) If you were at a stoplight and the light failed to turn green for a longer than normal amount of time, what would you do? ( I said turn right then make a U-turn =P )
    6) Tell me about a time in which you did not get along with someone, and how did you handle it?
    7) Tell me about a time in which you took charge or were in charge...
    8) They explained to me what the company does at that office, after he asked me what I've learned or what I didn't know or what I liked about the company(I guess to see if I was listening, which is hard to do when nervous).

And some technical questions:
    1) He showed me an inductor connected to a DC voltage source. Close to the aforementioned inductor was another one that was connected to a resistor. He asked for the voltage in the resistor. This one I got correct, the answer is 0 V because the source was DC. The source has AC in order to create a magnetic field in the inductors which results in induced current in the inductor/resistor connection and a voltage seen across the resistor.
    2) I was shown a square within another square and asked how many squares where there. I guessed and got this one incorrect because I had never seen it before. Don't remember the answer. There was an equation that I had to know to solve the problem, but he just wanted to see how I worked through it I suppose.

Interview Questions
    • The stoplight one as aforementioned and the square question.   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

interviewed at Motorola Mobility in October 2014.

Two rounds onsite interview, all of them are your future teammate or your director. And as an entry-level position, they will not ask you very difficult question. But you need to be familiar with the technical things on your resume, because most of questions they ask is based on your resume. Most of the questions is technical ones, they just asked one behavior question, "tell me about you".

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility.

Applied online. First got a phone interview, in which I was asked about my interests and what teams I would be interested in joining. Later had phone interviews answering general coding questions. There wasn't really anything out of the ordinary. Code was done over google doc. Phone interviews were around an hour long.

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied online – interviewed at Motorola Mobility.

The interview process was in fact very funny.
           The first round was telephonic which they said it was mainly to understand the skills of the employee, what the employee is really interested to work in, by sharing their project requirement with the employee.
            I was communicated that they have understood what I am really looking for and they would redirect my profile to the corresponding team for further interview process. This was very much impressive. But when I attended F2F interview, the panel did not even try to check my core skills. Just with searching and sorting algorithm questions how can a person be judged whether he will fit in their project. I agree that such skills are required for anyone, but not everyone will be an expert with everything, however they should check whether the candidate is in a position to understand their project requirement or think about a solution using his core skills. If the candidate fails to understand the requirement itself, then no one can change their decision to reject such a candidate.
          My point here is at least once the panel should try to check the candidate's core skills. The funny part here is the job profile clearly says the what they are looking for and even after the first round telephonic which was specifically to match my core skills and schedule the interview accordingly, and inspite of that, in the F2F interview my core skills were untouched, and more over in the 1 and half hours process, I spent more than an hour waiting.

Interview Questions
    • They asked only one question on algorithms and they could judge me on that it seems. That was the most unexpected situation in fact :)   Answer Question

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in September 2014.

Interview was for their Bangalore office. Initial telephonic discussion was good. The person explained what they were trying to do in the area of BigData. Being a BigData professional for close to 5 years, I was OK with the job profile.

When I attended a Face to Face discussion in their Bangalore office, I was attended by their Architect. They asked me to write a Map/Reduce program, gave the Laptop and went off. I wrote the program in around 45 minutes. He came back and told that I took longer than expected to write the code. I told, just giving a laptop, without any libraries required, is not the way to code. There were some compilation errors, obviously because of missing libraries. He was not happy. He never bothered to look at the logic which I was explaining to him. He asked some questions on the program & I answered all of them, modifying the logic. He told I should have anticipated all his questions and should have written program. Common, I am not a mind reader. You give me 1 requirement and I write code to solve that, later our requirement changes & I need to modify the code. He told he doesn't have experience in writing Map/Reduce and he always uses Hive. I tried to explain him, he was the one who asked me to write Map/Reduce, not me. He didn't have an answer. I also patiently explained him on what scenarios we need Map/Reduce & can't do in Hive. Moreover my profile clearly stated that my core strengths are HDFS, Map/Reduce. And I had know how on Hive. I also gave him the HiveQL for his problem.

Later another person came in and his first question was which language I am comfortable with. I told Java, as I had been a Java programmer from 10 Years. His next question was to chose any other language like C/C++. I tried to tell him, its only the syntax and language constructs that differ, but the logic is what that matters. He again stressed that he is not comfortable in Java. I proposed to discuss the solution at Pseudo Code level. Finally he accepted.

Next he did something I was never expecting, he gave me a problem & asked me to solve. Something in lines of validating a mathematical expression. I asked him some questions & he immediately looked up in internet for couple of minutes & gave some answer. I asked more questions and he started looking in internet again. He didn't realize that I could see him opening webpage with a big heading "Interview Questions" in the mirror behind him :). To ask a question you look up in internet. Big joke man. That moment I realized the kind of people I am dealing with.

That moment, I asked are they clear on what the role expects & why I am being not asked questions on my core strengths. They told they are checking my problem solving & they are free to do interviews how they want. It is their company policy.

They called me for BigData, Hadoop related position & only a single question on Hadoop. That too a basic level. No questions on my work experience or the patents I have worked on. They ask questions posted on internet, that too without being clear about the question themselves.

Then they asked me to leave. I never expected a call back and never got one.
    Sent a mail to their Hiring Manager, explaining the same. She is least bothered.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing I could remember. I have given near to optimal solution for all problems. I have double verified in many blogs as well.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Motorola Mobility.

A recruiter reached out to me a month or so before graduation. There was a video chat interview where there was one goggle doc based programming question to find out different permutations of a give string. Then after that there was one more phone interview which consisted of a bunch of oral technical questions, no coding involved. Then they flew me out to their HQ in chicago where I went through 4 rounds of technical interviews. I aced almost all of them except for one where I faltered. After a couple of days the recruiter called saying that I did very well but they would rather hire a phD grad.

Interview Questions
    • For a given 2d bitmap, find out the end points of a region that has only 1s and return true if those end points form a rectangle.   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

I went through staffing agency. Process took a week and had direct face to face interview. No phone interview. Asked questions from my resume and some general test questions. Know your stuff.

Intern Interview

I applied online and got an email from them. They were prompt in replying and set up the interview. The first interview was a general interview. They asked questions about things mentioned on the resume. They asked about education and different programming languages. Second interview was technical.

Interview Questions
    • Some questions were easy. But they asked some questions which were not related to resume.   Answer Question

Design Research Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Motorola Mobility.

Got invitation from their HR. The first phone screen interview last for 30 mins, mostly talked about sponsorship and past experiences. The second phone interview with their team member last about 45 mins. Then I got an invitation for on-site interview 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot behavior questions and my working process.   Answer Question