NCH

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Analyst Interview

Irving, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at NCH.

Interview Details I replied to a posting on Indeed.com, and a recruiter called me a few days later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very standard and went well. After the phone interview, I was invited to an in-person interview with a director.

I over prepared for this part of the process, because it was very casual - I had the feeling the director was trying to get more of a take on my personality and work style, since my resume showed I had the chops for the position itself. After the in-person interview, I was told that everything was great, he thought I'd be a good addition to the team, and that I'd hear from them in a few days.

Well, I did hear from them, but the news was not good. My position got put on hold for a few months! I was told that they would contact me in the new year (This was in September). I really didn't expect to hear anything again from NCH, but sure enough, in February of the next year I was contacted by the recruiter and invited to come in to meet with the president.

This interview was also casual, I spoke the president 20 minutes and he offered me the position. I didn't need to negotiate salary because what they offered was more than was listed in the original job posting, and more than I expected in the first place. They do background check and drug test before you start.

Interview Question – No questions were unexpected!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary offered was a few thousand more than I expected, so no need to negotiate.

Graphic Designer Interview

Irving, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at NCH in May 2013.

Interview Details Received a telephone interview first, went very well. I interviewed and discussed my experience and qualifications for the job. The immediately scheduled an in-person interview for the next day.

I met with the Creative Director. He was friendly and asked good questions. We spoke at length about the position and he said it appears that I have a good understanding and qualifications for the position. He did say they wanted to interview more people, yet were having a problem getting them in.

I sent the Creative Director a personalized greeting card thanking him for his time, and again stated that I was interested in the position and hoped for the opportunity to work with him & his team. I also followed it up with an email as well. I heard nothing for a week and a half, so I emailed again and also emailed the HR person who did the initial phone interview.

I got a very bizarrely written "generic" response with a "do not reply" email. It said that they were going to hire "more experienced" individuals. Now granted, if there's something I lacked, I can't think of it. In fact, I have been in the business just as long as the Creative Director and worked for as many companies as he has.

I emailed the HR person and the Creative Director again, to get a clarification on what I can do to improve my attractiveness to future employers (a standard business 101 request) and I get no response.

Just found their lack of comments highly unprofessional. I can't help but think its either an age issue or an insecurity issue but needless to say, very weird experience.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions, your standard designer interview. Looked through my portfolio.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at NCH in April 2013.

Interview Details After an initial phone screening, I was offered a chance to interview in-person with the hiring manager. Here is why I chose not to:

1) The recruiter was incredibly evasive about base salary, and would not even provide a general salary range. Most legitimate sales positions will gladly provide a general base salary range in order to create interest with a candidate. The recruiter only stated that the hiring manager makes that decision. After being a hiring manager myself, I am sure that the hiring manager plays a part in that decision, but the fact that an HR rep that is actually recruiting for a position doesn't know the general salary range is most likely NOT true at all.

2) When I asked about how car mileage & expenses are reimbursed, I again got a foggy answer, and was told that "varied" by market". Again, I am sure that their is at least a general monthly range that is budgeted for this, and a policy that establishes what types of expenses are covered. Why would anyone be so evasive? Probably, because they are intentionally trying to be deceptive, and avoid having to address an area of compensation that they know is very poor compared to other similar sales jobs.

3) I Googled the hiring manager, and he has one of the most unprofessional & offensive Twitter accounts I have ever seen for ANYONE. It was full of vulgar posts consisting of sexually explicit jokes, and derogatory comments towards women, along with occasional racial/ethnic references. Totally unacceptable for anyone who interacts with the public on behalf of a business, but especially for a manager who is charged with leading others within the organization.

My final thoughts are that if NCH treats prospective employees this way when they are trying to recruit them, how dishonestly do they treat their actual employees? Also, the caliber of their management team definitely seems suspect, at best. I couldn't imagine that such an unprofessional organization is a place to reasonably plan the next step of my career. My gut response to all of these indicators is: "Buyer Beware".

Interview Question – General review of my resume & sales experience.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – My final thoughts are that if NCH treats prospective employees this way when they are trying to recruit them, how dishonestly do they treat their actual employees? Also, the caliber of their management team definitely seems suspect, at best. I couldn't imagine that such an unprofessional organization is a place to reasonably plan the next step of my career.

IT Business Analyst Interview

Irving, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at NCH in February 2011.

Interview Details To make a quality decision it is necessary to get as much quality data as possible. View your list of questions as the starting point. Each question should generate many probing questions. The purpose of your probing questions is to get more and better information.

Interview Question – What are your passions?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Implementation Specialist Interview

Irving, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NCH in October 2009.

Interview Details Telephone interviews, standard background and review of skills, discussion about position.
HR (in 2004) was not really involved in recruiting, thank God! This made for a great interview experience directly with the team I ended working with for the next lost decade. Instantly both sides could see the fit was good and the excitement was there.

Interview Question – Who do you never want to work with again in the oracle industry?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes I was able to negotiate both salary, bonus and I totally regret not negotiating for more paid time off.

Supply Chain Position Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at NCH.

Interview Details I applied for the position and was called back the next day to set up a phone screen interview with the recruiter. After another phone interview with a business manager, I had 5 on-site interviews, which I thought all went very well. Up until then, it was a very quick and efficient process. After the on-site interviews, however, the recruiter would not answer any email inquiries into the status of the position. Five weeks later I finally heard from the company through a standard rejection email. I do wish the recruiter had been more helpful post-interview. Five weeks is a long time to wait when you're not currently employed.

Interview Question – One manager asked questions about the logic used in making decisions - i.e. Why did you choose that university? Why that major? Why that first job?   Answer Question

Senior Forecasting Analyst Interview

Irving, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at NCH in August 2012.

Interview Details Efficient hiring process - got a call to schedule an HR interview within a couple of days of applying online. Had a positive HR interview, but did not receive offer because I wasn't from the CPG industry. Seems like the company has a good culture (Danco Inc., subsidiary of NCH), and might have been a great place to work for, had I been the right fit. Gracious HR manager, and very helpful, even took the time to give me feedback once I called after receiving the note that they were going with someone else.

Sales Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at NCH in November 2011.

Interview Details Applied on Linkedin.com, had a phone interview with in house recruiter, she called me back the next day, asked me to come in for a face to face with her. Met with her face to face, real basic questions mainly about my resume background( I think it was to see how I carried myself while speaking), asked basic HR sales questions: tell me about a time when you faced a difficulty in trying to make a sale, etc.. After that got an email that I was wanted to come in and meet with the director of the company, had a face to face with him that consisted of him wanting to get to know me and basically to see if my personality would fit in with the work enviornment at the company. Was asked to come back for a second face to face, I brought a presentation to help seal the deal showing what I could bring to the company. A day later I had an offer made to me and I accepted. The whole process was amazing and I thought it all was handled with class and everyone I spoke with was great!

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Was able to slightly negotiate, they had a set price for salary, I talked about the situation I was in benefits wise and they worked with me to make it worth my wild to come on board and take care of the issues I was going to have. 1st class company!

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at NCH in January 2008.

Interview Details Interviewed 1 on 1 with 5 different senior management and lasted for about 4 hours. They asked questions relevant to the position. The interviewers were pleasant and friendly. They clearly explained the role and the requirements for the position.

Interview Question – What are some of the challenges that you faced in your current role and what did you do to overcome them? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is always room to negotiate and it doesn't hurt to ask. Just make sure you do your research on the min / max salary (online) so that you know that what you're asking for is reasonable.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NCH in April 2010.

Interview Details Applied online, phone screened, interview with manager (1-3 hrs) -lot's of non-standard interview questions- interested in your educational and work history and motivations for decisions in each. 1 day in field with a rep. Then 2nd in-person interview is w/VP (1-3 hrs) -interested in your level of commitment. Wear a suit and tie for these interviews is my recommendation. Those interviewing you are very professional and fairly formal. Do not act too cocky in the interview process and keep your ego in check, though this is an outside sales position which obviously requires a decent level of enthusiasm. Show long-term career interest, a stick and stay attitude and persistence will help. Any hands on experience in the past with products and/or not being afraid to get your hands dirty is helpful.

Notes: Should have asked more questions of the sales rep during my ride-a-long day. Should have made sure I was crystal clear on their compensation and pay structure. Should have read all the fine print of the employment contract before signing... might not have signed if I understood of all the aforementioned clearly. Know you may drive 1500-2000 miles a month in your own personal vehicle.

Interview Questions

• Where did you go to college... what was your major... WHY?   View Answer
  • Lot's of questions around past jobs and companies worked at --and WHY you chose that job, that company, and what motivated you in the past to do what you did work-wise.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Wasn't able to negotiate at all. Job is really 100% commission but first 90 days they'll help with a very very small base salary + aggressive commission rate. Can opt for salary if performed well during first 90 days but the position is geared to be 100% commission as soon as you can stand on your own two feet (anywhere inside the first 90-365 days or more. Make sure to ask very detailed questions about compensation structure, make sure to read all the fine print in the contract before signing. Make sure you can afford the first 6-12 months of this position since lot's of time is required to build up your income.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for NCH? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NCH interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews are posted anonymously by NCH employees and interview candidates.