Neiman Marcus Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

2.7

Beauty Adviser Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Applied online, I got an interview within a week. Had two separate interviews,one with HR, and an other one with cosmetics manager, the interview went smoothly, they all really nice, no pressure at all, a week later had an other phone interview with product representive, I am still waiting for them to call...its been a week now....

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stanford, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

I applied online and was contacted by the end of the week via phone call, by the HR assistant. At this point I was briefly interviewed over the phone and asked why I am leaving my current job, why I want to work at Neiman Marcus and what customer service means to me. At the end of the call she said she'd love to have me come in for a interview. I then came in that next Wednesday for an interview with the HR manager and then she had me interview afterwards with 3 other people. At the end of this all the HR assistant said they'd be in touch with me. About 4 days later I was called and asked to come in for a second interview. During this interview they had me interview with a specific department manager they wanted to place me with and then I was given a tour of the store by this manager and then taken back to wait for the HR assistant again. She came in with an offer form and said they'd love to have me. I called later that day to accept the offer and she told me I would need to complete the drug test.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation they are pretty set in their offer.

N/A Interview

met many people lied about the numbers, basic questions, but you had to pass a test first before you can interview which is no indication if you can do job

Personal Shopping Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in February 2014.

Standard process of meeting with an HR associate, merchandise manager and the personal shopper you will be working for. Standard interview questions about current and past experience in retail and level of confidentiality to be maintained when working with personal shoppers clients.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in five years, career wise?   View Answer

Seasonal Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in November 2011.

I filled out the application online and was contacted within a few days to come in for an interview. The woman in HR who interviewed me was very friendly and easy to talk to. Was offered a job and hired during the first interview.

no negotiation

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied to this position online and later that same day got a missed call from them. They did not leave a message, but when I called the number back and found out it was Neiman Marcus I asked to leave a message for H.R. I did not hear back, but since I am very persistent I called back a week later and left another message for H.R. This time she called me back and set up an interview with the Customer Service Manager. The interview went really well, but she said that she would need me to meet with H.R and her direct boss in Loss Profit and they were both unavailable that day. They could not get together to interview me for another week and a half. The interview with the Loss Profit manager and H.R both went very well also. H.R said she would be in touch with me the following week by Thursday. No call on Thursday. I called on Friday, and was offered the position "unofficially" since there is a background, credit and drug test to pass first. I made it aware multiple times throughout the interview process that I had some prior collection accounts on the credit report, but I had documentation to prove that they were settled and paid. A week after I was offered the position, I called HR to see if she had a status on the background and credit check as she said it would take 5 days. No call back. I was out of town that weekend, and when I returned home there was a letter in the mail from the company who completes the credit check. It stated that I had failed. The date on it proved that they had completed this days before I called and left the last message to H.R. I understand the need to check employees credit, but the fact that I wasn't able to prove that I had cleaned up my credit, or that anyone even bothered to call me to tell me I failed, makes me upset. I wasted 4 weeks pursuing this job. I wouldn't suggest applying to Neiman Marcus unless you have perfect credit.

Interview Questions
    • The interviews were very easy and laid back. There were some of the typical questions, but mostly it was just a conversation between two people. Very comfortable.   Answer Question

Work At Home Customer Service Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

I saw the listing on Career Builder and decided to submit my resume. After about a day or less I received an email instructing me to fill out the official Neiman Marcus application and to check my computer system for compatibility. A couple of days late I completed a phone interview.

My information was submitted for background and credit check.

I received a call directly from Neiman Marcus HR offering me the position, contingent upon clean drug test.

I accepted and had my drug test done.

I began training the following week.

Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Short Hills, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Short Hills, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

Very professional HR staff that keep close communication with the applicants throughout the whole entire process. It has been a pleasure and honour to work for this company. I highly recommend this company.

Interview Questions
    They offered me more money than I originally asked for.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Neiman Marcus.

The interview consisted of two phone interviews and then a two day long interview process in Dallas. The program is run three times a year, June, September and December, so you may apply early and have to wait before you're contacted

Applying to the program they have you complete a small, online test about retail math. It basically asks you to calculate sell-through percentages, how many units are on hand, discounting etc. It is timed and I've heard some people find ti difficult but I thought it was really easy and I do not come from a fashion or retail educational background. Basic math is all that is needed.

If you get a passing score on the test your application gets reviewed and you may be contacted for an interview. The phone interviews were pretty standard - Why do you want this job, tell me about your background etc. Nothing challenging.

The two day interview process consisted of a bus "tour" of Dallas that really just shows you the outside of their fulfillment center and then dinner at which you meet some higher ups at NM like buyers. The second day brings one group project focusing on how you'd design or set up a department to maximize revenue and two interviews. In between there is a lunch with current assistant buyers that you can talk to and learn more about the role.

Overall a pretty easy applying experience.

Interview Questions
    Since it's a pretty competitive environment and there are a lot of applicants the negotiation was almost nonexistent. They tell you the salary and benefits and ask if you'll take them. I was able to get a little increase in salary due to my previous experience.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irving, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Neiman Marcus in November 2013.

1 phone interview and 1 in person interview - received offer following day of in person interview - started 2 weeks later - 5 HR associates quit within my first month of employment.

Worked for Neiman Marcus? Contribute to the Community!