New York Life Actuarial Intern Interview Questions

2.9

Actuary Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online and was contacted a few days later for phone interview in Jan 2014. Interview was basically a resume walkthrough with very minimal behavior questions. Received notification 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• What was your hardest project on excel?
    Give an example of when you were a leader.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Received an email to schedule a phone interview. Interview lasted about 30 minutes. Basic Behavioral Questions followed by tell me about an excel project you have done.

Interview Questions

• What are some things that could put an insurance company out of business   1 Answer

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Interview

Applied online, scheduled phone interview in about 2 weeks. The interview is warm and professional. All typical behavioral questions. I'm kinda nervous and probably won't get to the on-site.

Interview Questions

• 1. Share a leadership experience.
      2. Share an experience to use computer programming skills.

Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Interview

I only got to the phone interview. Interviewer was very nice and professional. For the first part you are totally in control, as they ask you to "tell me about yourself" and you should prepare good things to say. Then he asks typical interview questions, with emphasis on insurance related topics. Then you ask questions, so make sure to prepare some good questions to ask as well.

Interview Questions

• Something to the effect of - What natural or political occurrence could jeopardize a life insurance company's solvency?   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at New York Life (New York, NY (US)) in November 2013.

Interview

Phone interview mid-October. About 30min long, mostly questions about resume. The interviewer also gave some more detailed information about the internship program.

Then about 2 weeks later, I was invited to an on-site interview. I met with 5 actuaries, each for 30 minutes and then went out for lunch with two actuarial students. Still, mostly behavioral questions, and to learn about my past research/work experience. Each interviewer also gave me some time to ask them questions at the end of the 30min period.

Interview Questions

• Describe an occasion that you had to persuade a group of people to do things a certain way.   Answer Question
    • What is a criticism you received from other people? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • How would you explain to someone on the street what a life insurance is? Why should they buy life insurance?   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online, scheduled phone interview in about 3-4 weeks. Normal behavior questions no surprise. Got the rejection letter before thanksgiving break.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Phone interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a book you read lately and how it changed the way you view the world   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Applied via campus recruiting. Their communication was efficient and quick. Interviewing process went smoothly. For the most part, they asked behavior questions with very minor technical aspects. For the interview itself, definitely read through and understand the various products that NYL offers.

The interviewing team was very cordial. Most of the interviews were one-on-one. However, there is also a portion of the interview where they take the candidate to lunch.

Interview Questions

• Describe the products that NYL offers.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I had a 30 minute phone interview with an actuarial student. Lots of behavioral questions. I thought there were some difficult ones. The first question was "Describe a project that you have completed in excel". Another question was "Describe a time when you made a popular decision that you knew was wrong". I stumbled a lot over that one, and to this day can't think of a relevant experience that fits this description from my life.

Interview Questions

• How many gas stations are there in the United States? Talk me through the steps you would go through to estimate this.   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview

First phone interview was basic and lasted about 30 minutes. No difficult questions, mainly behavioral. Second phone interview was more technical and lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you showed leadership skills and failed.   Answer Question