New York Life Actuarial Interview Questions

Updated 10 Oct 2014

3.1

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Actuarial Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life.

I got an email with the possibility of an interview. It was a phone interview. Questions about 1. tell me about a time when your leadership style failed? 2. tell me one the excel projects you did

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Actuarial Interview

They had my resume on file from the previous year and emailed me to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 20 minutes; asked me basic questions on my resume, what I knew about the company, and a bunch of behavioral questions, and there was time for me to ask questions at the end. I was notified of my rejection via email a week later.

Actuarial Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in September 2014.

Was contacted via email asking for an updated version of my resume in early September. About a week later, I received a request for a phone interview. The questions were geared towards general questions about academic and professional experience, and towards gauging demonstrated interest in pursuing a career as an actuary.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to convince a group of people to do things a certain way.   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

applied online and heard back pretty soon, they are so productive! Then set for a phone interview, basically just behavior questions and went through your resumes. I didn't get the second round.

Interview Questions
    • 1. describe one of your leadership experiences and what you learn from this experience
      2. what is the most difficult functions you can use in excel
        Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I did a phone interview with Aon Hewitt in February. The questions were pretty standard behavioral ones. The interview lasted about thirty minutes and I was given time to ask questions at the end. I received an email about a week later saying they were not interested. Overall, the interviewer was nice. He told me about his job and the duties of the actuarial interns.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you to break down a difficult concept and explain it to someone who did not understand.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Phone interview first - just simple behavioral questions. Second interview was on site. Interviewed with 5 people. Each focused on their own individual area - General Interest in NYL / Why Actuarial, second focused on my resume, third on Technical Skills, fourth was a general overview of the company, fifth asked the more difficult questions / tested knowledge on the industry. A very fair process.

Interview Questions
    • Name and explain 3 different types of events that could greatly effect the profitability of the company?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at New York Life in February 2012.

I just have the phone interview, and preparing for the on site interview.

Actuary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabeth, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabeth, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in July 2010.

The interview was done with Department director, manager and one other manager level person. Interview lasted about an hour with general questions. It was very pleasant experience and I regret that I did not do better.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at New York Life in January 2009.

Applied online. Recruited contacted me for a phone interview within a week. Phone interview lasted about 45 minutes. He talked about the position and the company. It consisted of standard questions. I was asked why I chose to attend my school, what my responsibilities and routines were at my old job and if I has any questions for him.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you demonstrated strong initiative.   Answer Question