New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.2

40 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

Directly got a interview for my position, however, when I headed to the office, they told me the internship can not be provided to international students because they want the internship to become a full time job.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Easy and asked questions I expected them to ask. They want to make sure you are making the right decision when joining NYL and they really want you to know what to expect going into insurance sales and advising since it's a hard industry to stay afloat in.

Commission based.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

interviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

I received response two days after on-line application. It is a good company but the position is not what I want. I am looking for finance job but the position is about sales and the salary is entirely based on your sales performance. They asked simple questions about personality and career plan. Don`t be nervous about the interview. The manager is very nice.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

Was referred to the company by a friend then was called by a NYL rep. Spoke to him on the phone for about 20 minutes then he asked me to come in for a meeting. We then had a 1-1 meeting. Went over bits of training and financial incentives. Seemed pretty clear cut. Incentives were great and straightforward.

Not right fit.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

First interview went well. Second interview was disappointing since hiring manager never showed up. He left me waiting for over an hour. They don't validate parking. The hiring manager called me 15 minutes after 3pm to see where I was and stated that we had an interview at 2pm. I laughed it off since I am looking for training and support. If the manager is too busy to meet with me on time, then how will the support be? I waited in the lobby for an hour before I left. Maybe that's some kind of a test to determine how much of a push over you are.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Waltham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Quick response, easy to schedule, long interview process on the day of including tour of the site, training rooms, offices, meeting facilities etc. It seems the interviewer does more to sell you on the job than you have to sell your own skill set at times.

Interview Questions
    • compare and contrast this company with Metlife, AIG and others in the same field   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter after meeting a rep from New York Life at a jobs fair. I came in for an interview, but stopped the process after the first session, which was over an hour long. Questions tended to be softball questions (what are you strengths, where do you want to be in five years etc).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Applied through college career center, got a call back within 1 week to set up an interview. I find out on arrival that it is a group interview and am kept waiting 45 mins. Guy struts in with slicked back hair and shirt half unbottoned. Real boiler room type guy. He was rude and short with everyone. Dismissed me not long after, thank god.

Interview Questions
    • If you read the top section about the hiring and interview process then this will make sense: why do you want to work here was the most difficult questions (and the same time the easiest questions). I didnt want to work there but was too embarrassed to say so, so I fumbled through it talking about starting a career and making money to provide for my family.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Knoxville, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Phone interview w/ HR specialist, general questions regarding contact info, employment/educational history, career goals.
    Face-to-face interview w/ HR specialist, provide company and position information, overview job responsibilities, required licenses and how to obtain them, advise on issues regarding background/credit check, in-depth questions about prior work experience and allowed to take skills assessment.
    Interview w/ Managing Partner, demonstration of compensation structure, told to generate 200 contact info (name, address, phone/email, occupation) in order to proceed w/ training after initial licensing exam, informed of 36-month training program and how it is catered to the skills I desire to obtain.
    OFFERED JOB :)

Interview Questions
    None. I understood work and compensation were entirely up to me and my performance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2013.

Kind of a joke. They are trying to sell you harder than you are trying to sell them. Base pay is 0 and will always be 0 at this position. They will hire nearly anyone with a college degree without a criminal record. The hiring process is just to throw stuff at the wall and see who sticks. Nearly 95% year 1 industry turnover and 80% within NYL.

Interview Questions

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!