New York Life

Getting the Interview

26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Very professional staff and office. I was contacted within a week of responding to a post and had an interview within 1-2 weeks. The process was very thorough and informative.

Interview Question – Questions about my personal career goals.   Answer Question

Glendale, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Was called back for interview two or three days after submitted my resume on my university's career center website. Office was very clean, and filled with very young-looking employees. Most were very friendly-- smiling and nodding to me as I waited near the front desk. Interviewer really only asked me one question-- "tell me about yourself. Take as much time as you think necessary." After this, he told me about the position, and asked if I had any questions. I asked several questions, and afterwards was shown to a computer where I completed a personality profile.

Interview Question – Only asked me to tell him about myself, and then asked me if I had any questions.   Answer Question

Dayton, OH (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at New York Life in April 2012.

Interview Details Hiring took forever as they kept saying that the approval process takes a while. I have worked in the financial field with other companies and they did not have a problem with getting me in and going right away. Partners are disingenuous with you to try to make It seem like you are fine

Interview Question – TIme waiting to get approved   Answer Question

Southfield, MI (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at New York Life in August 2012.

Interview Details The Managing Partner I was interviewed by was phenomenal. One month after he hired me, he was transferred to a position down south.

Questions were straight-forward and he totally explained the commission package through a series of two interviews. The first interview was about the position and he just spoke to me to see if I fit into the corporate culture.

Interview Question – Why do you feel you are a good fit in New York Life?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I choose another company which was interviewing my at the same time. The other company dealt more with investments which I was more interested in providing.

Financial Services Professional

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details The phone and in-person interviews were very conversational, getting-to-know-you. I met with the supervisor 3 times probably because the supervisor had some other interviews scheduled and our interview ran for too long.

Interview Question – Wasn't difficult at all. The supervisor just talked about a situation and ask you to share your opinion.   Answer Question

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details I was contacted by one of the Senior Partners at New York Life after I submitted my resume to my school's career development service.

Interview Question – Tell me something that you regret of doing or something you would done differently in the past   Answer Question

Cleveland, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in March 2012.

Interview Details Hiring manager was very nice, asked basic interview questions. Interview was one on one. Beautiful office in a nice location. No need to have a background in finance to get a job there. Employees seemed to enjoy their jobs, I got a chance to talk to some.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the most common problem is while helping people with their finances?   View Answer
  • What is your weakness?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Position is essentially selling financial services such as life insurance. If you're looking for a job that is not sales, this is not for you. It just wasn't for me.

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in May 2012.

Interview Details Very quick. Want to know if you are willing to call 100-200 people a day.

Interview Question – Why do you want this position?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not for me.

Financial Service Professional Interview

Financial Service Professional

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life in March 2012.

Interview Details The first interview wasn't really an interview at all. It mostly consisted of the recruiter talking about New York Life and how they're different than other insurance companies in the industry. After talking up the company they asked if I'd like to come to another interview which I said sure.

The next interview asked a lot of things from what your biggest success was to name a time where you wanted something really bad and didn't get it. A lot of questions seemed like they were reaching for something specific although they never claimed so. Interesting process definitely.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Financial Services Professional

The process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2012.

Interview Details The interview basically consisted of the manager trying to convince me to join the company. It wasn't like a typical interview, in fact I think the manager only asked me two or three questions. They promise that you can make $70K+, but don't offer a salary. The interview process consisted of four separate meetings, all with the same person.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Life Financial Services Professional interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Life employees and interview candidates.