New York Life

40 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Insurance Agent

I applied through college or university and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Very simple, the company is looking to sell you on the position and the benefits that can come with success. They really are looking to make sure you can hold conversation, and can represent the company in a positive way. There are four interviews but after the first, they focus more on what the company offers, more than your actual skills

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Insurance Agent

I interviewed at New York Life in August 2013.

Interview Details not specific questions. I was an interview to determine if you are outgoing person who have communications skills.I had 2 interviews and first was just talking but the second they showed me how the compensation works. There is a presentation for about 30 min showing how you get paid and get residual income.

Interview Question – There was not any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. No base salary-just commission.

Bellevue, WA (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter that invited me in to learn more about the business. He went through the entire process that I would do with each potential client and asked if I could do that. He explained the success rate in the industry at New York Life, talked about the manager roles available and explained the income potential was limitless. He specifically addressed the top 2% of high earners at New York Life but failed to mention that they were the top 2%.

Interview Question – Can you attain your securities license within three months?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It is a standard non negotiated offer/contract.

Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in May 2013.

Interview Details Easy and plainness. You take a test to see how "motivated" you are to take the job. The interview was a one on one with a New York Life manager. They will review the questionnaire that you answer and proceed to ask a few other questions about availability and experience.

Interview Question – "Are you motivated?" Of course, I wouldn't have applied.   Answer Question

Harrisburg, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in August 2010.

Interview Details An extended process, with at least 6-8 meetings with management. You are expected to wear formal business attire, be punctual, be prepared, First meeting is group meeting, then one on one meetings are held. A formal background check is required. You initial contract offered will be a temporary contract, with a minimum sales quota is required. If this is not met within 6 months, then you will not be offered a formal contract.

Interview Question – You will need to take a test that measured personality   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate

New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details They found my resume on the wed, contacted by phone, set up an interview. Basically they were not interviewing me, but advertising this position, trying to convince me to work for them. Since it was 100% commission based position, i decided not to proceed.

Salem, OR (US)

I applied in-person and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details I met with a NY Life company representative at a career fair, where the representative asked me to complete a personality quiz/skills assessment on a laptop computer he had at the fair. So after siting in the corner and completing the assessment on the laptop, the results were emailed to the rep and I passed. The assessment was mostly geared toward evaluating your level of persistence/sales aggressiveness and what your pre-conceived ideas were concerning insurance agents in general. After chatting and going over my resume with the representative at the career fair, we set a time to meet for a formal interview.

The formal interview took 3 hours. I was not told this would be the case so I had to miss an appointment I'd scheduled for later that day. 90% of the interview was the same NY Life representative talking at me about their company and then "using me as an example" to go through their sales pitch. This amounted to asking personal questions about my marital status ("What members of your family would you need to help out by leaving life insurance money? ...I assume you don't have a spouse or a long-term partner?"), my age ("So at what age do you plan to retire? ...And how many years do you have until then?"), and my current financial situation (how much money I had in my checking, savings, and any assets/liabilities I had). These questions were incredibly invasive and I can honestly say I was so taken aback by the questions that I ended up answering most of them out of shock. I even told him that I'd never had an interview where an employer asked me about my bank account and he just shrugged it of: "Well we're just having fun here, and you are interviewing with a financial agency after all..."

I really can't recommend NY Life. In the end, they seem to care less about the agents they're hiring and more about the company's reputation. I was even told that "When you're starting out, if you clearly don't have much experience, you can't win people over because of who you are or your dedication to the job, you win them over because of the company you work for."

Interview Question – I wasn't expecting to be asked about my financial status and then told what my net worth was according to the interviewing agent.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent

I applied online and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Just a bunch of questions

Interview Question – Whos your best friend and why   Answer Question

South Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details great process and very thorough

Interview Question – why do you have a hard time with nos.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – long process but worth it, 4 interviews

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Not your typical interview process. They highlight their strengths and advantages on working for them rather then giving you tough interview questions. The process requires a couple meetings in order for you to gauge the company and to see whether it is a good fit or not. Near the end, New York Life does evaluate your skills and expertise a bit more through a couple classes/tasks required in order to be full-time.

Interview Question – No real tough questions asked other than general background information and what I have learned in the past in sales.   Answer Question

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!