New York Life

Getting the Interview

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Met the partner at a career fair and got signed up for an interview the next morning. Initial interview was very informative about the company, office, and position. A second interview was scheduled immediately two days later. More extensive interview, lasted about an hour. A third interview was to be scheduled at my convenience and interest.

Interview Question – What sets you apart from all of the other candidates?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Applied online and received a phone interview.

Interview Question – Why New York Life?   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in December 2013.

Interview Details Applied through university career website, approved for interview request. Interview was simple, nothing really surprising, mostly behavioral questions. Called in for 2nd round interview at NY HQ. Orientation, lunch meet and greet, 5 one-on-one interviews for the duration of 4 hours. Mostly behavioral questions, with some specificity to the insurance industry.

Interview Question – What is statutory accounting?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't budge on salary since housing is provided at a local university

Very Easy Interview

Honolulu, HI (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2013.

Interview Details 4 interviews, they require two projects to be done: Project 200 and completion of 30 surveys. You must also pass the Life and Health exam before being hired.

Interview Question – If you were to intern here, what is your biggest concern?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Didn't have enough time to study for the exam

Intern

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Got a phone interview, did not get the offer, was asked pretty difficult questions.

Interview Question – had to explain very technical stuff   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Relatively easy one-round interview. The questions were almost entirely behavioral in nature with a few simple technical questions thrown in. The interviewer was mostly trying to get a sense of how I would perform in a group with other interns as well as with potential and existing clients.

Interview Question – General interview questions, strengths, weaknesses, etc.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Met NYL recruiters at a university career fair and applied for position online. Received phone call from recruiter to schedule a first round phone interview with HR. Second round interview was also conducted on the phone, this time with the hiring manager. Overall, questions were general and easy: "Why New York Life?" "What do you hope to get out of this internship?"

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Bakersfield, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2013.

Interview Details They take you out to lunch to prove they have the money but in actuality are struggling with money themselves. They usually skim your name off career sites and cold call, hoping to get you to come in.

Interview Question – Tell me your most recent challenge and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was promised many things so my negotiation was relatively easy. However, it was the minimal results that were not pleasing. Everything was said yes to, then when it was expected, the manager and others rarely came through.

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details The first step if I remember correctly is a phone interview. Secondly, there is a one on one interview with the managing partner. The questions are pretty generic such as where have you previously worked, why do you want to intern at New York Life, what is your favorite class and why...etc

Interview Question – What my plans were after college.   Answer Question

Mobile, AL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

Interview Details Was a phone interview for an actuarial internship. VEry basic predictable questions. However,I did not receive the internship because I had not passed any actuarial exams. They petty much require you to have passed at least one.

Interview Question – How do you do in groups?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York Life

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Life Intern interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by New York Life employees and interview candidates.