New York Life Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.4

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arvada, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arvada, CO (US)

I applied through other source - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

Initial contact is good. As most employers. You have two initial meetings. Get to know, assessment test is for second appointment. Application, background and credit check are preformed. They go back an double check each piece of information provided. They do almost an under writing type of background check on everything. They require certain proof and it may take about 20 days of waiting before they let you know if you are accepted by NYL. Then they make you take the License testing. They tell you it's 10 days. The course website support staff say it takes 25 days and it really takes about 30 days if you have a job. Then after you pay for the license you get reimbursed. Then the State of Colorado has to approve your license. Then NYL has to approve your license. Then they have to communicate you need to provide additional information on you application. In total it may take a couple of months before you actually get approved by NYL corporate, NYL local chapter. After that process they make you sign 3 contracts. Be ready to listen. ASK for a copy. I asked for one and they never gave me one. The process takes a long time. During this time you just wait and wonder why it takes so long. Also, EVEN if you reach their sales goals, it is at their "DISCRETION" if they want to hire you "full-time" or not. Beware and ask and tell them to put it in writing if it is not correct.

Interview Questions
    • Easy interview process. It's hard to convince people to work without any sort of compensation during 3 months. If you don't reach their sales guidelines, they will hire you on what they call a "full time basis" when you are already in training and calling people for them on your own time on a full time basis. They expect for you to complete certain amount of points per day. This may take full time work that is not accounted for. I mean, they do not pay you during the vesting and hiring process - all while you are scheduled to take classes with out compensation.   View Answer
    Strictly commission base. No base salary at beginning, unless you reach their sales goals, they pay for expenses and training. If you do not reach their sales goals, not a penny will be compensated for.

Mortgage Loan Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

Standard pre-screen phone call. Next was a one on one interview with the director. Got invited for a second round interview which was also one on one.

The people are really friendly and it was quite easy speaking to them. Sadly, I did not get the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

Directly got a interview for my position, however, when I headed to the office, they told me the internship can not be provided to international students because they want the internship to become a full time job.

Actuary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Elizabeth, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabeth, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2010.

The interview was done with Department director, manager and one other manager level person. Interview lasted about an hour with general questions. It was very pleasant experience and I regret that I did not do better.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Easy and asked questions I expected them to ask. They want to make sure you are making the right decision when joining NYL and they really want you to know what to expect going into insurance sales and advising since it's a hard industry to stay afloat in.

Commission based.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Apply online. Resume requested. Junior/Senior undergrad status. GPA varies. Major varies. Three phone interviews followed by internship offer. Internship total = 12 weeks. Compensated. Location varies. Overall, pleasant experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

interviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

I received response two days after on-line application. It is a good company but the position is not what I want. I am looking for finance job but the position is about sales and the salary is entirely based on your sales performance. They asked simple questions about personality and career plan. Don`t be nervous about the interview. The manager is very nice.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

The interview process took a couple of weeks. There were 3 interviews total, all with the same person - a partner. The first interview consisted of asking me questions about myself. Then, there was a personality test. The 2nd interview was to tell me about the company, followed by a class about the compensation package, benefits, etc. The final interview was to offer me the job.

Interview Questions

Wasn't interested in a job with no base salary.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview process was on the easy side. It is an all commission job so they aren't looking for people that aren't ready to put in the work, they can sense if you are going to or not right away. They are very up front and straight forward with the commission structure and how tough the business is. Great opportunity to really see what you are worth. You determine your own destiny

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you can strive in an all commission role?   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

The recruiter was really nice. Not too many questions that you should answer. In the first interview, they just introduced the company and asked you to complete an assessment online.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!