New York Life

381 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Developer Interview

Developer

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Phone interview followed by a personal interview. The initial interview is technical but consists of questions you can find on Google (hint. hint.) The second interview you meet with everyone and see if you can get along. For full time employees they care more about personality that tech skills so laugh a lot. For contractors they are very picky technically. If your resume is over 2 pages they may just toss it out. Just include some popular buzz works and check Google.

Interview Question – Google interview prep question and you will find the questions they are using. Standard canned questions. Of course this is not related to what you will be doing so keep that in mind.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will lie about what you will be doing to get you in the door.

Very Easy Interview

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent

I applied through college or university and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Very simple, the company is looking to sell you on the position and the benefits that can come with success. They really are looking to make sure you can hold conversation, and can represent the company in a positive way. There are four interviews but after the first, they focus more on what the company offers, more than your actual skills

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Tax Associate Interview

Tax Associate
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied for a position online and received a phone call about a week later from a recruiter with questions on my resume (what are your current duties, how would you describe your personality, etc.). The day of the interview I met with two separate managers who asked the same questions as above. This was more of a chit chat interview to get a feel for your personality and describe the job duties. Each interview was scheduled for 30 minutes, but we went over about 5-7 minutes each. I was informed that the next step would a second round of face to face interviews with upper management, but I actually received a verbal offer one week later. They asked me to start three weeks later.

Interview Question – What are you most dissatisfied with at your current job?   Answer Question

New Claims Processing Interview

New Claims Processing

I applied online - interviewed at New York Life in August 2014.

Interview Details I received a call from HR to set up a telephone interview last week. Initial communication was friendly and inviting. The actual interview took place the following day and I was asked typical interview questions such as strengths, difficult situations, etc. It would have been helpful if the HR representative was more familiar with office locations though.

Interview Question – Give an example of when you were creative within a previous role.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

Interview Details Was referred to the company by a friend then was called by a NYL rep. Spoke to him on the phone for about 20 minutes then he asked me to come in for a meeting. We then had a 1-1 meeting. Went over bits of training and financial incentives. Seemed pretty clear cut. Incentives were great and straightforward.

Interview Question – Nothing was out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not right fit.

Actuarial Assistant/Actuarial Program Interview

Actuarial Assistant/Actuarial Program

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details I was surprised by the unprofessional manner this phone interview was handled. The interviewer is not from HR which is fine, but she did not indicate that she was actually a participant of the program at the beginning of the interview. I discovered that at the end of the interview when she referred to the program in 3rd person.

I was bombarded by a series of behavioral questions and only had 5 mins to ask questions.

I got a response two weeks later that I did not get an offer. I kindly asked for feedback regarding the interview but "Unfortunately, it is our policy to not provide feedback to candidates about their interview." Well goodbye NYL.

Interview Question – What is your biggest accomplishment   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details One phone interview with a recruiter for first round of screening.
Second interview over the phone with potential manager and mentor in a department that the company chooses.
If that department if not what you are looking for, the whole process is repeated

Interview Question – Standard questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Interns make $18 per hour

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Glendale, CA (US)

Interview Details First interview went well. Second interview was disappointing since hiring manager never showed up. He left me waiting for over an hour. They don't validate parking. The hiring manager called me 15 minutes after 3pm to see where I was and stated that we had an interview at 2pm. I laughed it off since I am looking for training and support. If the manager is too busy to meet with me on time, then how will the support be? I waited in the lobby for an hour before I left. Maybe that's some kind of a test to determine how much of a push over you are.

Interview Question – Entry level position, no technical questions asked.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Financial Representative
New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

Interview Details First interview was meeting with the recruiter- straight forward, laid back, more of a rundown of the company and answering any questions that I may have, inviting me back to meet with a senior partner. Second interview was with a partner- still relatively simple, didn't ask any technical questions, gave his rundown on the company, asked me a few questions, answered any questions I had. Third interview was fully a rundown of the company, presentations on pay structure, benefits, etc. more of them selling the company to you. Fourth and final interview was back again with the partner to finalize the entire process and to assure the two of you would work well together.

Interview Question – What do you know about NYLife?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent

I interviewed at New York Life in August 2013.

Interview Details not specific questions. I was an interview to determine if you are outgoing person who have communications skills.I had 2 interviews and first was just talking but the second they showed me how the compensation works. There is a presentation for about 30 min showing how you get paid and get residual income.

Interview Question – There was not any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. No base salary-just commission.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!