New York Life

Updated 27 Jan 2015
Updated 27 Jan 2015

2.4

Sales Interview

I met a representative of the company at my college's career fair. A few days later I revived a phone call. A few days after that, I received a tour of the office and filled out an application. A few days later, I received a group orientation to learn more about the job and compensation.

Actuarial Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Phone interview first. Why NY Life? Previous work experience. Difficulties you had to deal with. Leadership experiences.
    I didnt feel like i did well but I got to the on site, haven't had it yet.

Interview Questions
    • What are advantages and disadvantages of a mutual insurance company?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at New York Life.

Interview went surprisingly smooth, very simple questions in cozy office atmosphere. Just be yourself, do not exaggerate or twist words, reply in simple terms as possible. It kind of hit in the middle of the interview is that they want to see how I would behave in front of a potential customer. So my advice: be as friendly, natural and simple as possible.

Had other family plans.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

I had two "interviews". They were more like meetings than an actual interview. Each time I spent over an hour getting to the interviewer and receiving details about the job. The interviewer was a really nice guy. I have nothing bad to say about the interview process. The interviews are really just New York Life trying to make sure that you are a good person with solid social skills.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. You just pretty much tell the interview about your life.   Answer Question

I found a job that was a better fit for me.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at New York Life.

I was contacted by the Managing Partner concerning the Financial Advisor position. I then went on an in person interview with him. He was very personable and honest about the position. I really appreciated how he emphasized that this position is "a career and not a job." I was told that there would be a total of three interviews.

Interview Questions
    • One question that I was not expecting was as follows: "Describe in three words what you consider a good salesperson to be."   View Answer

I made it through the first interview and was encouraged to submit the official application. I decided not to continue with the interview process because of the commission-based compensation. I was told that New York Life will help you with the first three years starting at around $35,000 and then goes down. After these three years, it will turn to all commission-based compensation.

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, OH (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at New York Life.

Met at a university job fair, they quickly called for an interview, it went very smooth, second interview my recruiter asked me to lay out a business plan for my agency. Then I got hired, the turnover in the insurance industry is huge so they will hire most people if you show promise

Interview Questions
    • Create a vision of your company, selling NYL products how would you structure your agency   View Answer
    very simple. they laid out the guidlines and contract.

Actuarial Interview

It only took them a day to contact me via email after I submitted my online application. I had my first phone screening after 3 days. Then in about 10 days, I did my second round phone interview. Both interviews were highly behavioral with barely any technical question. Then I was invited on-site. Five people interviewed me one after another and each interview lasted exactly 30 minutes. After five interviews, I went out for lunch with two actuarial students. The on-site interviews were slightly more technical than the phone screenings, but they were still pretty easy. Overall, it was a great experience interviewing with the company. I thought I did pretty well during the on-site interview, but unfortunately, I did not get an offer.

Enterprise Finance Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

Applied through my school's career website, had 1 interview on campus & was called in for a superday 2 weeks later. Interviewers were all very personable, not too many difficult questions - just be prepared to answer Why New York Life? Why Finance? lots of behaviorals also. be patient as it takes a while for them to give out the offers after the super day

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you applied financial principles in an academic setting   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life.

The recruiter contacted me after discovering an old resume I forgot I had on careerbuilder.com. I am always open to hearing offers and this was a chance to work in a field and actually utilize what I studied in college.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions due to the unique circumstances during my interview. An agent stepped in to retrieve a file and it turned out we knew each other. An offer was made on the spot after he vouched for me.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations. The interview turned very informal once another agent popped his head in the office and he recognized me. It turns out I knew him through some friends. I was offered the job on the spot pending background/credit check.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at New York Life in November 2014.

I applied online and was contacted the same day to set up an interview for the following week. The interview was pretty straight forward one-on-one. I walked him through my résumé and spoke about my goals, answering a few behavioral questions. The interviewer then spoke briefly about the position but mainly about the career track and company culture. Very helpful and very easy to talk to. Our discussion lasted about an hour and I then took a personality test. After the test, the interviewer let me know about the process that would follow. I received word that same day about a follow up interview with one of the managing partners for a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, be ready to answer anything about your résumé as well as personal experiences applicable to the position.   Answer Question