New York Life Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
384 interviews

2.4

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

First interview went well. Second interview was disappointing since hiring manager never showed up. He left me waiting for over an hour. They don't validate parking. The hiring manager called me 15 minutes after 3pm to see where I was and stated that we had an interview at 2pm. I laughed it off since I am looking for training and support. If the manager is too busy to meet with me on time, then how will the support be? I waited in the lobby for an hour before I left. Maybe that's some kind of a test to determine how much of a push over you are.

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

First interview was meeting with the recruiter- straight forward, laid back, more of a rundown of the company and answering any questions that I may have, inviting me back to meet with a senior partner. Second interview was with a partner- still relatively simple, didn't ask any technical questions, gave his rundown on the company, asked me a few questions, answered any questions I had. Third interview was fully a rundown of the company, presentations on pay structure, benefits, etc. more of them selling the company to you. Fourth and final interview was back again with the partner to finalize the entire process and to assure the two of you would work well together.

Insurance Agent Interview

interviewed at New York Life in August 2013.

not specific questions. I was an interview to determine if you are outgoing person who have communications skills.I had 2 interviews and first was just talking but the second they showed me how the compensation works. There is a presentation for about 30 min showing how you get paid and get residual income.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. No base salary-just commission.

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in July 2014.

I was contacted by an manager's assistant after I posted my resume to a job website. She set up a meeting with a manager. He interviewed me then had me take a career assessment survey. After that I was to follow up with him the next day to go over my results. I passed, so I continued on to the compensation/training group interview. I chose at that point that the position was not for me.

Interview Questions
    • Key qualities that have been passed down from a mentor.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life in January 2010.

I was contacted by a recruiter that invited me in to learn more about the business. He went through the entire process that I would do with each potential client and asked if I could do that. He explained the success rate in the industry at New York Life, talked about the manager roles available and explained the income potential was limitless. He specifically addressed the top 2% of high earners at New York Life but failed to mention that they were the top 2%.

Interview Questions
    • Can you attain your securities license within three months?   View Answer
    It is a standard non negotiated offer/contract.

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in June 2014.

Interviewed many times (4 to be specific). The 1st is with the recruiter. The 2nd is likely that with a Partner. The 3rd is likely the Executive Partner or Group. The 4th is back with the Partner. There are tasks to be completed after the 2nd interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are your motivations? Please list 3 in the order of importance... Please explain each.   Answer Question
    There isn't much room for negotiation, because it is a sales position. It is a matter of how much do you believe you can sale without a safety net. I would definitely reconsider if this is your first job. Actually, I would doubt they would offer you the job if it is your first.

Career Advisor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Within just there weeks since I posted my resume on a job-links website I was contacted via an email from the NYL recruiter for an in-person interview. The introduction interview was scheduled quickly along the later day of week. My first impression of the NYL recruiter was friendly, professional, thorough and tactful. The actual interview took about an hour. Followed by a Personality Test that NYL requires for assessing the candidate's "potential" career path within the lines of field agent or corporate management's role. It's very clear throughout the whole process that NYL recruits are well-trained and well-prepared for screening and hiring the prospects.

Interview Questions
    • What my prior career experiences can apply to the life insurance business?   Answer Question

Marketing Team Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

The people were genuine, but the interview process wasn't effective. As a candidate, those on the team that met with me during two interview cycles did not convey a clear picture of what the position really would entail. It seemed as if perhaps the role wasn't clearly identified before they tried filling a staffing hole or newly created position. I was offered the job, which I declined.

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Roseville, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at New York Life in June 2012.

There were four or five thorough interviews. The manager took his time to know me, explain the opportunity and allow me to "interview" him, as well. He even had my wife come in for one interview, to introduce the company and explain the income opportunity to her. The hiring manager was my working manager after being hired, and was very easy to work with.

Sales Agent Interview

I received a phone call and was told there would be 4 interview rounds and they will help me finish step by step. The second round is a face-to-face interview. This job is good for people who have good communication and sales skill and commission-based

I am interested in another job