New York Life Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
384 interviews

2.4

Agency Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Okemos, MI (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI (US)

interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

Received phone call on Tuesday, 5/20/14 after they found my resume on line. When she said she was calling from NY LIfe, I told her I've tried selling life policies before (Prudential, MassMutual) and was not successful. She said something like, "Oh, no, this is for sales, this is a position for an agency manager. You won't have to sell, you'll have people under you selling." This caught my attention as I have a management degree. An interview was scheduled for Friday, 5/23/14.

Met the lady and AS SOON as we sat down she confessed that what she told me over the phone wasn't entirely accurate, that I would have to start out in the field selling as an agent for the first year or so and THEN move into management. I should have left right then. To me, this is a deceitful hiring practice and should be reported to someone.

She talked about the job a little and then the office manager came into the interview who turned out to be her husband. He talked about the income potential (sell 50 policies your first year and make about $80k-$110k. When I worked for the other 2 companies I sold maybe 5 policies total, 3 to me, my ex-wife and my son. It's not easy selling life insurance.) He said they expect you to make 15 contacts per day in hopes of setting 2 appointments per day. I asked him how many others he's interviewing and he mentioned some large number (100+) and that he has to interview so many per month or quarter to hit his numbers for a bonus or to maintain his pay by HQ. THIS explains the lying about the job to get you in front of them for the interview. They had me take an assessment questionnaire on a computer in the office. They said they'd let me know about coming back in for a second interview by yesterday or today, 5/28/14. I never heard from them.

I've been licensed since 2000 and don't actively market that I am an agent/broker, but I keep my licenses going. When i do talk to people in general conversations about life insurance, I tell them to buy term, it's a lot cheaper even though I wouldn't make as much in commissions. Everyone always appreciates me telling them that. What I DO try to do is get them to buy more in coverage/face amount (pay off debts, replace a spouse's income for X number of years, college funds for kids, leaving a legacy, etc.) and then round up to the next quarter million mark for the price breaks. (ie: it's cheaper to buy a $500,000 policy than a $490,000 policy.) I'm also able to shop premiums around through a brokerage house (being an independent agent/broker) rather than being a captured agent and only able to sell for one company. Consider that when being recruited. Most captured agents will receive a gradually-decreasing "salary" from their company over the first year as you're 'supposedly' selling policies.

The lure of a very high income is intriguing, but there are too many cons to consider accepting this position, if offered.

Interview Questions
    • The only question asked of me was what I want this job to entail.   View Answer

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

I applied to this position through my school's hiring program. I was scheduled for an interview a few days later. The interview was a little under an hour long. Interviewer was very friendly and helpful. They mostly just wanted to get to know me both personally and professionally. He explained the three step interview process to me and a little about the services they offer and the compensation and the company structure. I filled out an online survey after, and was given materials to read/ fill out in order to move to the next stage of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • They interview was just about getting to know me. One question was asking what is the first thing I do when I walk into a party. The whole interview was just questions about me, nothing technical.   Answer Question

I basically got offered to move to the next stage of interviewing, but I declined because the job is 100% commission and I am not wiling to take the risk, especially selling life insurance.

Financial Services Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wall, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wall, NJ (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in December 2012.

There were a total of three rounds for my interview. Each one requiring a certain amount of work to be done and brought back to the next interview. Last round included calling ten people and receiving referrals from them while asking them questions. It was fairly simple. Most questions were personality based. They want to see that you are a go-getter and that you take initiative.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself thats not on your resume.   View Answer
    It was commission based.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life.

They found my resume on the wed, contacted by phone, set up an interview. Basically they were not interviewing me, but advertising this position, trying to convince me to work for them. Since it was 100% commission based position, i decided not to proceed.

Recruiter Interview

Applied online, followed up with recruiter, phone screening and onsite interview. met with the team while onsite and had 3 rounds of interview with panel members. Took a tour of the office premises. People were helpful.

Agent Interview

Hiring process was simple and straightforward-met hiring manager at a networking event, and spoke to him a few times. Took a quick computer test and was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult--they only care about who you know so they can use you to get more business   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

It feels like they are trying to sell the position to me and makes me believe that there are a lot of potentials to make a lot of money.

Financial Services Professional Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life.

There was an initial interview that last about 20 minutes if they like you and it's just to get an initial feel for you. Then, they have a much more detailed interview where they try to scare you about the harsh realities of a completely commission based salary. Next, they tell you exactly what to expect out of the internship and what tests you need to pass to obtain certifications. The one thing I didn't like was that they don't provide anyways to help you sell. They pretty much tell you to figure out your own unique way and hopes some of the older guys will help you out a bit.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Waltham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Quick response, easy to schedule, long interview process on the day of including tour of the site, training rooms, offices, meeting facilities etc. It seems the interviewer does more to sell you on the job than you have to sell your own skill set at times.

Interview Questions
    • compare and contrast this company with Metlife, AIG and others in the same field   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Went through three rounds of interviews with progressively more senior management. Interview questions were very typical - what is your least/most favorite job activity, what do you to to manage stress, decision making examples etc. Interviewers were very respectful and made the interview enjoyable. Second interview involved an aptitude test - wasn't difficult to anticipate the answers they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to sell our services to your friends and family?   View Answer

I was interviewing with several other companies at the time and was offered a more competitive position.