New York Life Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.4

Financial Services Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wall, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wall, NJ (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life in December 2012.

There were a total of three rounds for my interview. Each one requiring a certain amount of work to be done and brought back to the next interview. Last round included calling ten people and receiving referrals from them while asking them questions. It was fairly simple. Most questions were personality based. They want to see that you are a go-getter and that you take initiative.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself thats not on your resume.   View Answer
    It was commission based.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at New York Life.

They found my resume on the wed, contacted by phone, set up an interview. Basically they were not interviewing me, but advertising this position, trying to convince me to work for them. Since it was 100% commission based position, i decided not to proceed.

Recruiter Interview

Applied online, followed up with recruiter, phone screening and onsite interview. met with the team while onsite and had 3 rounds of interview with panel members. Took a tour of the office premises. People were helpful.

Agent Interview

Hiring process was simple and straightforward-met hiring manager at a networking event, and spoke to him a few times. Took a quick computer test and was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult--they only care about who you know so they can use you to get more business   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at New York Life in May 2014.

It feels like they are trying to sell the position to me and makes me believe that there are a lot of potentials to make a lot of money.

Financial Services Professional Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at New York Life.

There was an initial interview that last about 20 minutes if they like you and it's just to get an initial feel for you. Then, they have a much more detailed interview where they try to scare you about the harsh realities of a completely commission based salary. Next, they tell you exactly what to expect out of the internship and what tests you need to pass to obtain certifications. The one thing I didn't like was that they don't provide anyways to help you sell. They pretty much tell you to figure out your own unique way and hopes some of the older guys will help you out a bit.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Waltham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

Quick response, easy to schedule, long interview process on the day of including tour of the site, training rooms, offices, meeting facilities etc. It seems the interviewer does more to sell you on the job than you have to sell your own skill set at times.

Interview Questions
    • compare and contrast this company with Metlife, AIG and others in the same field   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Went through three rounds of interviews with progressively more senior management. Interview questions were very typical - what is your least/most favorite job activity, what do you to to manage stress, decision making examples etc. Interviewers were very respectful and made the interview enjoyable. Second interview involved an aptitude test - wasn't difficult to anticipate the answers they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to sell our services to your friends and family?   View Answer

I was interviewing with several other companies at the time and was offered a more competitive position.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through other source - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

The initial contact was via email. Subsequent communication was always prompt and courteous. The company seemed very "warm," that is people friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever want to start your own business and why or why not?   View Answer

Although the position was intriguing, don't think it is the right fit for me.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Providence, RI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in April 2014.

I was interviewed for the Financial Services Representative position. The process took about two weeks, but I had a phone screening interview and then a personal interview with a managing director. After taking a candidate profile test, I was going to be connected with a partner with New York Life.

Interview Questions
    • The interviews were behavioral. They were trying to get to know me and they led me ask them questions regarding the company and the position.   Answer Question