New York Life

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Boston, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2013.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter after meeting a rep from New York Life at a jobs fair. I came in for an interview, but stopped the process after the first session, which was over an hour long. Questions tended to be softball questions (what are you strengths, where do you want to be in five years etc).

Interview Question – All were very straight forward.   Answer Question

New York Life Agent Interview

New York Life Agent
San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 days - interviewed at New York Life in March 2014.

Interview Details I received a phone call from a recruiter being referred by an employee that I met long ago in one of the networking events that I participated in. We talked and I expressed interest in learning more about this opportunity, then an interview was scheduled.

On the interview day, I arrived on-time for the appointment. The branch was inside one of the downtown high rise buildings where they occupied the whole floor in a professional corporate working environment that required security clearance and receptionist in the front. I waited a little for the recruiter to come pick me up for the interview after checking-in with the receptionist. Once the recruiter picked me, we talked getting to know each other. A presentation was then demonstrated, and you can stop for question at any time. I asked a lot of questions pertains to the company, position, and support program provided.

Process was explained in detail and open to questions. After the interview, I was asked to take an computerized personality assessment test before leaving to see if I was an ideal candidate. Result came out and advised by recruiter the same afternoon.

There are total of 3 interviews screening process.
Interview #1. Initial recruiting process. Recruiter getting to know you and brief you with presentation. Passing assessment test result required in order to move to #2.
Interview #2. In-depth interview on a 2 ways street.
Interview #3. Final interview, response only.

Interview Questions

Insurance Agent

I applied online and interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Just a bunch of questions

Interview Question – Whos your best friend and why   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

Sales Agent

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details basic behavior questions, very nice person, makes me ask him a lot of questions. had to take a survey to evaluate your personality and see if you are fit to this job. made me practice with people around me to ask their preferences on having insurance.

Interview Question – have to come up more questions to ask him   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Insurance Sales Agent

I applied through another source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Interview was pretty painless. I spoke with a Managing Partner and he gave me details of the company and what the potential income i could earn as an agent.

Interview Question – New York Life checks everything on your resume and also your background as well as your credit. If anything pops up you will have to fix before you get an offer   View Answer

South Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details great process and very thorough

Interview Question – why do you have a hard time with nos.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – long process but worth it, 4 interviews

Financial Consultant Interview

Financial Consultant

Interviewed at New York Life

Interview Details Interview was pretty straight forward. Interviewed with one manager and talked about basic personal aspirations and the details of their training program. The interview lasted for about 45 minutes and scheduled for a second interview within a week. They responded quickly and were very professional.

Interview Question – Asked about my interpersonal skills.   Answer Question

Financial Sales Manager Interview

Financial Sales Manager
Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at New York Life in February 2014.

Interview Details The people in the office were very nice. The office itself was in a good location and looked well maintained. The interview was odd because he basically told me I wasn't right for the job without asking me any questions first. After reflecting on the interview later, I got the impression that the point was for me to be aggressive, contradict him, and convince him otherwise. (Afterall, it is a sales position.)

Interview Question – The only question he asked was "Describe your ideal job."   Answer Question

New York Life Agent Interview

New York Life Agent
New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at New York Life in September 2011.

Interview Details Initially there was a phone interview, then an in person interview followed by a computer test to determine if my personality would be a match to the position. There's also a very thorough background check. Simply put, they're trying to tell if you're an aggressive person who can think like a business owner, not an employee.

Interview Question – Hard to understand the compensation until you take the comp class. Then it becomes a little clearer. However I really only started to grasp out comp 6 months into it. But I'm happy!!! Fact is the initial compensation is complex only because newbies into the business are offered a lot of training bonuses since you're starting with zero business.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at New York Life.

Interview Details Not your typical interview process. They highlight their strengths and advantages on working for them rather then giving you tough interview questions. The process requires a couple meetings in order for you to gauge the company and to see whether it is a good fit or not. Near the end, New York Life does evaluate your skills and expertise a bit more through a couple classes/tasks required in order to be full-time.

Interview Question – No real tough questions asked other than general background information and what I have learned in the past in sales.   Answer Question