Nordstrom

Getting the Interview

901 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Nordstrom Retail Management Internship Interview Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2013.

Interview Details The process took a little over a month. I applied in the beginning of February and they contacted me for an interview two days later. I lived out of the city I applied to so it was a phone interview. It was a basic interview with about 5 questions. Why do you want to work for Nordstrom? What is your background in retail? etc Then a woman called me two days later asking for a second interview and asked when a good time would be. I scheduled it two weeks later. This interview was more in depth questions. An example was Tell me about a time you did not have a happy customer? Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond for a dissatisfied customer? Then a week later, I received a phone call letting me know about the results. Only 10 people got a spot in the internship

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had a hard time achieving a goal? How did you make it better and end up achieving your goal?   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details Phone interview was pretty basic! Normal questions to ask in retail positions. After a phone interview is an interview at HR and with the manager of the department. Then you might even be asked to meet with the store manager. All in all its important to be friendly and confident.

Interview Question – When was a time your work was compared to someone elses and how did it affect you?   Answer Question

Mission Viejo, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2013.

Interview Details Apply online, they will respond after a few days

Interview Question – Mock Sale   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Novi, MI (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details Applied online and got a call a week or 2 later. Got a call from the manager of the department I applied for to schedule an in person interview. Had a one on one interview with the department manager and she asked simple questions about myself and all easy behavioral questions. She then took me around the department and then had to do a mock sale. Lasted about an hour. Got a call a week later and got the job.

Interview Question – All easy questions- most unexpected part of the interview was the mock sale   Answer Question

Tysons Corner, VA (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details About three days after applying online i received a email asking me to confirm an interview date. One the day of the interview they asked me a series of questions and somehow I ended up getting my follow up interview immediately after, If this happens be prepared to be there for most of the day (this is good) . Some people got walked out of the building but they said that doesn't mean you wont be considered (fingers crossed for them). After I had finished with the whole process I heard back from them within a week for the position.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us. I always feel its a question where they want you to lie but If your just upfront and honest and don't give a generic answer you'll get a better response... or at least they'll remember you   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told them I was a student in the interview process so when they offered me the position they already expect some scheduling conflicts. If you now about something in advance... just tell they.

Very Easy Interview

Tailor Shop Administrator Interview

Skokie, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details After arrival of interview for Tailor Shop Administrator I was told they hired someone that morning & they wanted me to apply for Communications position instead. I would have appreciated a phone call to ask me before I arrived.

Interview Question – Will you interview for a different position than you applied?   View Answer

Summer Retail Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and received an email to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted 15 minutes and was mostly informational. She asked about my expected graduation date and where I would prefer to work. She also gave me a lot of information about the position. She stressed the importance of the sales aspect of the job and asked where I see myself in five years.

Interview Question – The job is paid on commission, how do you feel about that?   View Answer

Sale Associate Interview

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2014.

Interview Details I received an email telling me if I would like to set up the time and date for the interview. I replied promptly afterward and chose the time and date. The interview was easy and fun. I had the interview with HR and then my department manager.

Interview Question – What is your strategies at work?   Answer Question

Strategy Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details Phone screen plus in person interview

Interview Question – One retail based case, plus general behavioral and retail market questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Edison, NJ (US)

Interview Details I applied online April 1st and did a personality survey. There are right answers so take your time and choose what you know they want in a candidate. I have open availability, which is a must. They want someone who has flexible hours. So, four days a week isn't going to cut it.

On April 2nd, I got an email from HR about a phone interview and scheduled it for April 4th. I talked to a woman and she asked very basic questions, such as: Why do you want to work at Nordstrom? (Do your research!) and explain a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer. Be interested and sound upbeat. Also, state that you have no problem with working with commissions. The whole interview lasted 15 minutes tops. She said that she really enjoyed speaking with me and set up an in person interview for April 7th.

To my knowledge, it was supposed to be a group interview, but I was the only one there. I met with the assistant manager of women's swim and active wear. She was really nice and we had a good conversation. I applied for part-time, but there was only a full-time position available. I'm not in school so I had no problem with that. I made her laugh a few times and was really bubbly and engaging. She seemed drawn to me and there was no awkward silences. I'm a shy person by nature, but if you act shy, you won't get the job. They want a people person and someone who isn't afraid of going up to strangers. She asked about my availability and it is the MOST important question that will be asked. Once again, they need someone who is reliable and can work whenever.

She took me out to the sales floor and we did a role play. I came prepared for the role play from researching online so I wasn't caught off guard like most people. She told me that I did good and would give me a call because there was one more interview, I knew I got the job. The next day, the manager (who has the final say) called me an offered me the job. I had an interview with Sephora, but they never called so I I took the job.

Interview Question – Name a time when you exceeded a sales goal and how did that happen.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's a set commission, so no negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Nordstrom

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom interview questions and advice. All 901 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees and interview candidates.