Nordstrom Interview Questions

Updated 29 Oct 2014
1,094 Interview Reviews

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and got a phone call a few days later. Unfortunately, I was busy with personal things and missed the call by just a couple minutes. She left a message and I called back just a few minutes later and she had already left the office for the day. I called back the next day and left a message. No answer back. I left 3 messages and still had not heard back.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Very straight forward. Why do you like fashion? Why do you want to work for Nordstrom? Examples of how you sell or would encourage someone to open a reward (debit/credit) card. Positives and negatives about yourself.

Interview Questions
    • What is one of your negative qualities? I always try to say something that could also be a positive, like I am OCD (I really am) and sometimes things have to be organized before I can tackle the issue, which is bad because it takes extra time to organize, but good because I'm organized and prioritize.   Answer Question
    No real opportunity to negotiate- you either want the job for what they offer to pay you or they will offer it to the next person....they will not negotiate pay for a sales position because they say you have the opportunity to earn commission, but you only get your hourly check or your commission check NOT BOTH (unless you work in hosiery or at home, just because they are low volume/slow departments and harder to earn commission- so if you work on of these departments, CROSS SELL LIKE CRAZY- because if you work hosiery for example, and you sell a few pairs of leggings, but they your customer wants a new handbag and shoes too, that is YOUR customer and you can cross sell those items to them and get the commission off the shoes/bag and you will ACTUALLY GET the commission)

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Phone interview entails verifying your job history and asking why Nordstrom and talking about customer service.
    For the in person interview you have to be passionate about commissioned sales, customer service, and fashion. Initially, you meet with the HR manager or assistant and then the DM if they think you will be a good fit. You will have to walk the sales floor and do a simple tour and sales scenario. This may not be consistent with all managers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to go above and beyond for a customer.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation because of commission.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online. Got an email a week after to come for an interview. The interview was pretty easy and on time. Very nice people work there. Had an interview with a dept manager and then with HR.

Interview Questions
    • How competitive you are? How did you reach your goals?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online. The application processes wasn't as painfully long as most companies. After I submitted the application I got an email back right away to set up a phone interview. The questions they asked me were pretty easy. I didn't feel like they asked anything too difficult and they were very friendly. I got another call back for another interview a day or two later. While I didn't end up accepting this job, the interview process is very straight forward and simple and would recommend anyone to apply there

Interview Questions
    • If you had a coworker that you knew was struggling finically and had multiple children stole some supplies to take home, what would you do?   Answer Question

I had a conflicting schedule

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I started at the rack so the interviews were conducted in group settings which took some pressure off. When I applied at the full line previous to the Rack coming to Annapolis, it was one on one and was a very difficult interview.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have any unexpected questions during my Rack interview.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

It was an ok experience. I meet with the third manager for the final interview and was very distant like she didn't want to be there for the interview.

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

I have 5 years as a makeup artist and several years in clothing retail experience, but I guess they wanted me to get a job at a sephora/ulta type position before working with them. Doesn't make sense.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Nordstrom.

The hiring and interview process was a bit lengthy but pretty straight forward. I applied and shortly after, got called to do a phone interview. After doing well with my phone interview, I was then called back in for a one-on-one interview with the head of HR. She was the same person that conducted my phone interview. She basically asked me typical retail interview questions and tested me on my customer service skills.
    After that interview, I had one last interview with my soon to be manager. She asked me a few more retail and customer service related questions and then asked me to do some on the spot selling in her department. It was pretty simple and actually kind of fun. All-in-all, it was a success. I got the job!
    Just smile, be confident and remember the customer is always right!

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to a customer that was trying to return something that was obviously not from the store?   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I first had a phone interview with Human Resources which was approximately 20 minutes or so. At the end of the phone interview I was offered to schedule an in person interview with upper management, I accepted. The in person interview took approximately 30 minutes. Both were very pleasant and personable women, very professional, honest and informative.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions. Helps to remain calm and comfortable, not too relaxed and makes a huge difference to review the company web site and know all about their values, mission and goals.   Answer Question
    n/a