Nordstrom

Average Difficulty
1,025 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details Very basic retail interview system, asked about experiences and what I could bring to the store. Included many things about what would be expected of you and how you were going to be given the tools to achieve your goals.

Interview Question – If you were a tree what kind of tree would you be and why?   Answer Question

Retail Management Interview

Retail Management

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied for the trainee program located at Hawaii. I was asked to take either phone or Skype interview. The interview questions were easy and the HR was very friendly. But the total duration was too long that I took the other offer before I was informed to join the next interview round.

Interview Question – The questions were mostly about your personalities and also about some sales situations like how you would deal with the customers who don't what to buy the products.   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Commissioned Sales Associate
Denver, CO (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2012.

Interview Details The interviewing process was very detailed and thorough. They asked about teamwork, self-motivation and understanding retail math. The interviewer asked if I understood commissioned sales and whether or not I had ever been paid by commission. I was also asked to list competitors and describe how Nordstrom outshines its competitors.

Interview Question – Three adjectives to describe yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Cosmetics Counter Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and got an email within 24 hours to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview human resources asked why Nordstoms, tell me your experience, and questions about how I would do in a commission environment and what is my availability. The phone conversation was less than ten minutes and human resources asked for an in person interview.

Interview Question – How would you do with commissions?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Miami, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2012.

Interview Details A lot of simple retail oriented questions.
Know how to learn to know what they want to hear
Use basic commonsense
How do you feel working on only commission?
How competitive are you?
Give me a time when....

Interview Question – There was nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't any.

Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview

Nordstrom Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details I applied for a sales associate position on the Nordstrom website and after few days I got an e-mail asking me to schedule my phone interview. Times for scheduling the phone interview was very flexible. I got a phone call and they ask questions like, Why Nordstrom? What was a goal that you couldn't achieve and what did you do to achieve that goal? What was the most difficult customer service you had to provide and how did you handle that situation? What is your availability? Interview process was pretty basic and the person interviewing was very nice. Although, I didn't get the position because my availability did not fit with their needs.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult questions, they were pretty basic.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2013.

Interview Details All management positions are filled with internal candidates, so only current employees can apply for management positions. This is helpful because then most managers have a very clear understanding about company culture. You are asked general questions about your current business- where your department sales are at compared to last year, top suppliers, team development, etc. However the biggest leg up you give yourself is recommendations from superiors.

Interview Question – What are the three things you stand for as a manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Do not accept the first salary offer- if you negotiate they will mostly likely reconsider.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details First you go through a telephone interview - pretty simple questions about your work experience and why you want to work at Nordstrom. Once you go through that, they will set up a group interview after which you meet with the manager or assistant manager. You have to do a sales pitch. It's pretty basic and simple.

Interview Question – I was asked to pitch a sale of a shoe brand I was unfamiliar with, to a man.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you get commission.

Sales/Support Interview

Sales/Support
Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2014.

Interview Details The process began simple, with applying on the internet for their "Rotating Sales/Support position". Though this infact turned out to be just a sales position.

After having my application processes, I then got an e-mail to schedule an interview. Be careful of one thing, the scheduler sometimes may not show that you have one scheduled after you schedule it. This does not mean it has been cancelled.

The interview itself took only 15 minutes. The HR rep asked some basic questions from who do you want to work with us, to what is your availability. The question I didn't get right was the "How did you handle your most difficult customer service experience". The truth is, in my last job as of 6 years I had the choice to refuse service as I was not only the sales rep, but one of 2 designers as well as one of two people crafting the product. I gave a few examples but then was honest and said that in extreme circumstances where a customer was rude, I would not service them as it is both wasting my time, and possibly compromising my service for others. They did not like this.

Interview Question – "What is the most difficult experience you have had with a customer"   Answer Question

Enterprise Architect Interview

Enterprise Architect
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2014.

Interview Details This was bar none the worst interview I have ever had. I read an earlier interview where they said they were heckled and thought the guy must just not be that good, but no, he was RIGHT! I will admit that it wasn't my best interview but I was doing pretty damn well. These guys are so adverse to change especially if you come in there knowing what your talking about they get very defensive. They kept asking me questions and took immediate disinterest when they found I had subject matter expertise; then they changed the question. This was until I said I didn't know, then all hell broke loose and the drilling began. I just couldn't wait to get out of there and spend my day back at my real job. I am not bitter at all about not getting this one, I am in fact so thankful. These guys are the most negative and condescending group I have come across in a long time, although the hiring manager was really nice. If you are a previous Amazon, Microsoft or Google employee do not go here you are over qualified and it will be just like Americas Next Top Model for Architects.

Interview Question – Tell me what you know about Nordstrom?   View Answer

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!