Norfolk Southern

Updated 20 Feb 2015
Updated 20 Feb 2015

2.8

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview process was straightforward. One of my interviewers was very nice and easy to talk to while to other one was distant and cold, almost like the interview was an imposition to him. Overall, I did not get a good feeling from the company and would not have taken a position there if offered.

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in February 2015.

It's a group type session. Be sure show up early (I did, 45 min early). They say business casual but I had my uniform (I work nights so as soon as I left work I went). They give "the speech" on how it's a totally different lifestyle and how if your married that either you have the support of your family or you will lose them. Took a break then the test, it was easy. Elementary math, reading comprehension mechanical type stuff. I was one of the lucky ones that scored an interview and all I have to say is just keep it real. Don't try and feed them some B.S. they know more than you think they do

None

Conductor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

The easiest way for me to explain the process is to say that it is in phases and consisted of 4 phases. I would advice anyone to make sure they eat before they come because there isn't a lot of free time given. I was there from 8am-5pm. I had about 2-3 hours of free time but because I was not familiar with the process I was terrified to leave.

Phase 1:

The first phase started at 8 am. Everyone is expected to be early, so if you get an email or phone call you better show up at least 10-15 minutes early. They check everyone in and close the doors at 8am. Anyone who was late was asked to leave.

They had us watch a video about the job. Then told us about the alcohol/drug policy. They do a hair follicle sample that checks back to 90 days. At this point we had almost 30 people there, but they warned everyone not to apply if you're going to fail the drug test then please leave (they don't test there, only if you get passed the interview phase). They released us for a break of about 15 minutes. It's now about 930.

Phase 2:

When we came back from break there were only about 25 people left. They had the train master talk and the person over our division (the piedmont division). They tried to do a scare tactic on us again with the drug testing. Telling us we would have no family time, no time for friends, and that our lives would basically belong to the railroad. They REALLY focused in safety. They wanted to give us time to call our families to make sure this was what we really wanted to do and make sure that they were fully on board. They said we don't hire people who want to work for a few months or a year. They want career minded people. They released us for a break to call our families.

Phase 3:

No one left after the break, but some people were in their phones. They had us sit down and they began passing out test. It was 88 questions and 1hr and 15mins long. It was mechanical, math, reading comprehension, agree/strongly disagree, and fact based questions (bill works schedule a. Susan works schedule b.... And the question would be who works schedule b and has Jon as a worker) I hope that makes sense. Once we completed the test they had us leave the room. They said they would post a list on the door with people who had been accepted for an interview. It was about an hour wait after the test.

Phase 4:

The list consisted of 7 names from the 25ish people who showed up. My name was on the list, but I was last. Most of the interviews were about 30 minutes. I was last on the list (good or bad I don't know haha). I would recommend anyone looking to score the job to focus on safety during the interview. They loved to hear me talk about safety and my family. At this point I do not know if I scored the job, but I just finished my interview yesterday. Hope this helps!!

Also, the questions are normal interview questions. How would you better the company? Why are you wanting to leave your current job? What experience do you currently have? Have you ever seen someone act in an unsafe manner? How many times have you called in sick in the last year? Tardiness?

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with not getting to spend time with your family?   View Answer
    Union baby!!! No negotiations.

Conductor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Completed their candidate profile. Then applied for a few conductor positions.

Received a email inviting me to hire sessions. Locations with a date and time.

Received a phone call confirming my attendance.

Arrive early. The session begins at 8:00 sharp and they want the attendance taken before that.

They give you a briefing. They let you know upfront the reason there are not people lined up from the hotel to the high way is because of the life sacrifices you make starting out. They also tell you if you fail the drug test you will be put in a database and blacklisted for a lot of jobs. Then they tell you the perks of it and give you a 15 min break to consider everything.

3 people out of 20 didn't return after the break.

You then take an aptitude and personality test. They grade it and ask you to leave the room while they make the final cut for interviews.

Interview is straight forward. I don't think anyone that wore jeans, boots, and wore a hat made the cut. They cut it down to 8.

I was lucky enough to be told everything sounded great at the conclusion of my interview.

The next morning I got the conditional job offer.

Now I am scheduling my physical and background test.

None

Maintenance of Way Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Applied for summer internship on company website. Didn't get an invite for an interview until about 4+ weeks later. Initial phone interview with HR Rep lasted about 30 mins. Asked how much I knew about the position, my academics, and leadership experience. Discussed the position in more detail, and then invited me for a face-to-face interview. For 2nd interview, met with an HR rep and an engineer in the company. Asked basic interview questions and went in-depth about the position. Only about 20 - 30 mins.

Salary is set.

Maintenance of Way/Structures Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in November 2014.

Spoke to recruiter at the University career fair. Applied online. Asked to complete a reasoning test online. Scheduled a phone interview. Flown in to Atlanta on Thursday, Interview with HR and hiring manager for about 30 minutes on Friday Morning. Called with an offer a week later

Interview Questions
    • Very laid back and great conversational style interview   Answer Question

Management Trainee-Maintenance of Way Interview

I had an interview directly following a career fair. Interviewed with two guys. Asked a lot about leadership experience. Were impressed with my knowledge of the company.
    Following interview was asked to move on to second stage, an online questionnaire.

Interview Questions
    • How would you be an effective leader with workers who are 30 years older than you?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Norfolk Southern   Answer Question

Transportation Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in November 2014.

The interview was about 30 minutes in front of two people. Typical behavioral interview questions were asked. They really wanted to know if you would be a good leader therefore good manager. So many questions had to do with past leadership experiences and things of that sort.

Operation Supervisor Trainee Interview

You are contacted by email from Norfolk to go down to the corporate headquarters. The interview is with a group of individuals with different backgrounds where you learn about the company and the different opportunities. Then you are taken to a separate 1 on 1 interview were you are asked more detailed questions about your past experience.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot of questions about your experience in the field you are trying to be hired for. I didn't encounter any strange or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

My interview process started at school. It seemed that this interview was to see if I met the basic requirements - G.P.A, Major, etc.. My next interview was more at the end of an information session. Once again a very basic interview. My next two interviews were with the department managers versus HR. These interviews were very intense and specific. They asked a lot of analytical and customer service questions.

No negotiation.