Norfolk Southern

Getting the Interview

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2014.

Interview Details Very positive experience all around. Everyone is nice. It started from college. I had a interview face to face on campus and was then flown down to ATL about a week or two later. Once there they set you up with a room in a hotel close by and you meet up for dinner. After dinner, you're free for the rest of the night. The next day you have your interview. Two separate interviews and they ask pretty basic questions. If you find yourself stressed out just remember its mainly about how you answer your questions! They want to see how you react under scrutiny and stress. Good Luck! I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Question – Do you know about Ohm's Law?   Answer Question

Management Trainee

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details A short phone interview, and then I was flown to Norfolk for a meet and greet and two interviews. I didn't get called back for a final interview.

Interview Question – How would you develop a pricing strategy with a client?   View Answer

Management Trainee

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details In-person "pre-selection" interview on college campus. If selected, move on to an 8hr presentation and management test with another short interview to determine which department your skills fit into. If selected by that department, you'll be invited to a group dinner followed by 3 panel interviews.

Interview Question – An understanding of the railroad industry and its challenges would be helpful but not required. Enthusiasm for managing others and working in a team is a plus.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They do not negotiate salaries.

Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2009.

Interview Details Initial application was on company website (in 2008, for some reason I could only go back as far as 2009 on here) for trainee program. I received an email within a week inviting me to a hiring session. The session was led by several HR employees, with nearly 100 other applicants in attendance. The first part of the session consisted of the HR reps explaining about the company, the different departments, and the various management paths available through the trainee program. We had to select several paths to be considered for, and then we broke for lunch.

After lunch, during which each table had an HR rep sitting with them, we took a personality/leadership test with over 200 questions. The test took several hours, after which we left. We were told qualified employees would be contacted if you were selected to move ahead in the process.

I received an email inviting me to fly to Norfolk a week or two later. I flew into Norfolk, and stayed at a hotel very close to their HQ. The night before my interview there was a meet and greet session with all the different executives, and every person who was there to be interviewed for a specific department had dinner with one of the executives from that department. Basically just chatted, talked about life, nothing serious.

The next morning I had 3 different individual interviews with various department members. There were at least 2-3 NS team members (HR, department) in the room during the interview. They asked about my experiences, why I was qualified for this job, and if I could handle everything that was expected. They made it clear you were likely to move quite a bit and would have to relocate to Norfolk for 15 months, and then relocate again (that's since been changed). I told them I had an offer from another company and needed to know if I was chosen within 2 days. I got a call 5 hours later when I arrived home that I had been chosen and was emailed an offer letter that week.

Interview Question – Can you handle being on call and relocating on a consistent basis?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, everyone starts at the same salary (varies by department).

Norfolk, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details First, they fly you to one of the cities where your job may be located. The night before the interviews, they held an information/networking session to get to know the people you will be interviewing with. The next day, the interviews take place, there are three separate interviews, a half hour each.

Interview Question – Not really a difficult question, but one I was unprepared for was, what motivated me.   View Answer

Management Trainee

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2012.

Interview Details First interview was at my school. I was interviewed by 2 people with an HR rep. I took the online test before. This was my second time applying. I was flown to Atlanta a few weeks later. The first part of the interview was a panel discussion with current employees then a dinner with employees and other candidates. The next day I had 2 interviews both were with one exec and one hr person.

They paid for the flight, hotel, and provided us with a prepaid American Express card for incidentals.
Overall everyone I met was really nice. The first interview I had the interviewers seemed a little rigid.

Interview Question – What activities were you involved in in High School?   Answer Question

Norfolk, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in May 2012.

Interview Details I was called a week in advance and asked if I would like to come out for an interview. I said yes and was flown in and put up in a hotel. I was in a room with 10 other people who were from diverse backgrounds. The overall process took about 4 hours with me being the last one to take my one on one interview.

Interview Question – Explain why you have chosen the path that I was on?   View Answer

Norfolk, VA (US)

The process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2012.

Interview Details I applied online and received email to complete an assessment and then 2 days later got an invitation to career day. I flew in the night before and on interview day, they had me complete another assessment and and interview with HR manager.

Interview Question – What is something that you know very well and can easily present or explain to other others.   Answer Question

Management Trainee

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in February 2012.

Interview Details Brief presentation of benefits and worlk culture. Then, you have to take a IQ/Skills Test. Finally, you have 1 on 1 interviews.

Interview Questions

Management Trainee

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in November 2011.

Interview Details Receive Company overview/interview offer via email. Coordinated with HR representative to schedule flight and hotel arrangements which were paid for by company. Flew in the night before interview and stayed in hotel within walking range of HQ in Atlanta, GA in midtown. Arrived at Norfolk Southern HQ for Company overview approximately 745 am to begin at 8 am. The interviewees were greeted by company rep and were taken upstairs to immediately take personality/skills test to confirm that the test that was taken online was based upon the selected interviewees aptitude alone. We were then lead to conference room of which approximately 50 other interviewees were there for overview of the various Management Trainee opportunities. The overview began with giving company history and standings/rankings in industry. They provided an overview of each Management Trainee program, the benefits, and retirement structure that came along with railroad industry. Once this was complete were given prepaid card for incidentals and then lead over individual to participate in one on one interviews. Caught scheduled flight shortly thereafter.

Advice to candidates is to be prepared to take additional test once you arrive for interview. Also be prepared to wait for turn to have one-on-one interview. BE prepared to locate if offered opportunity.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Norfolk Southern?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Norfolk Southern

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Norfolk Southern Management Trainee interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Norfolk Southern employees and interview candidates.