Northern Trust

Getting the Interview

155 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Drone Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details Minimal compared to other places.
No hard questions.
Mostly can you get along

Interview Question – never had a difficult or unexpected question the who time ive been there   View Answer

Technology Internship Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in February 2013.

Interview Details Had applied online, submitted all documents and contact the HR recruiter directly. The first recruiter was very respectful and kind, leading me to the one which was in charge of the specific position.

After holding a general interview with an HR rep who was clearly contracted and new to the NT team, I received many personality, management and experience questions.

HR rep set up an interview with the head of the department for this position, who canceled an appointment, and rescheduled. From the beginning of the interview, this upper manager (VP) made it clear that someone dropped my resume on his desk, and he had not even skimmed it. I walked him through, answered his generic questions, and I tried to keep the conversation interesting as he monotonously lead.

It is understandable that the manager was busy, but holding the interview for a moment to speak with a colleague was unprofessional and rude, along with his inattentiveness.

The questions were generic, nothing technical as I had expected, but the VP was kind enough to elaborate specifics about the company that only an insider could reveal. It sounds like improvements are being made in the IS/IT departments, even though reviews say the corporation is resistant to change.

I'm sure my interviewer would have been a kind, engaged, charismatic person if I had met them face-to-face, but I am not sure if I would have accepted the position if offered on the next call.

Pay is also standardized, not based on experience for internships.

Interview Question – What are some courses that you've taken in regards to this position? How do you deal with a coworker which does not follow direction?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details It was over 7 years ago, so don't remember much

Very Easy Interview

Second Vice President Interview

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details Interview was easy right out of college. They were looking for naive pickings

Interview Question – Why NTRS   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Back in 2007, 40K was the standard right out of school with a BS.

PWC Corporate Tax Compliance Senior Associate Interview

Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied through PWC web portal - was invited to interview with 2 managers. The interview lasted approx 2.5 hours and consisted of a case study - provided with set of accounts and some additional info and asked to write down all my thoughts with regards to corporation tax and any additional info required.

Interview Question – All questions were competency based and around the key core values of PWC. Tell me about a time when .......leadership,difficult situation, morals, teamwork etc etc   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was below my expected salary

Account Associate Interview

Naples, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details Contacted by HR representative and spoke with them for about 30 minutes. The HR rep asked general behavioral questions and also asked about my resume, experience, and previous jobs. I was then contacted two days later to schedule an face to face interview with two managers the next week. The 2:1 interview with the two managers was not very difficult as I was asked only behavioral type questions, nothing technical. One of the managers was extremely rude and arrogant, purposely trying to make me uncomfortable, however the other interviewer was very pleasant. Not sure if they were trying to play good cop bad cop to see how I reacted, but it was completely unwarranted to be as rude as the one manager was. The two managers grilled me on my resume, schooling, and past work experience. Given that most of my work experience was unrelated to the position I thought it was a little excessive to go into such great detail about my summer landscaping jobs in early undergraduate school, but they kept asking unnecessary and unrelated questions for the job I was applying to. Overall, the interview was relatively easy, but I did not get a good feeling about working at that office as the one manager was just so unpleasant and rude. I would not have wanted to work with him if I got the job offer and I got the feeling that the other manager who does work with him did not like him much either because of his arrogance. It has been 3 weeks and I have not heard a word from the company, even after sending follow up emails and thank you emails to the HR rep and both managers. I am pretty sure I will never hear from anyone in the company about not getting the job, which is inexplicably rude to not even send an email, let alone a phone call, to inform candidates of their status or that the company has decided to move on with other candidates.

Interview Question – No difficult or technical questions, asked only basic behavioral questions.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Have you ever had conflicts with co-workers?
Have you ever had a conflict with a customer?
Tell me about yourself?
What do you know about Northern Trust?
  Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in February 2014.

Interview Details Very relaxed phone interview. Questions very basic. How did you help a past client. How long was the engagement. No technical questions. The interview was several weeks after submitting the application and so it took me a minute to remember the job description I was interviewing for.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Fund Accounting Analyst Interview

Fund Accounting Analyst
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in August 2010.

Interview Details phone screening, 2 people in HR, then 2 managers in a unit, then called back for round three to meet with hiring manager and direct supervisor. ( a lot for an entry level position)

Interview Question – Tell me about a difficult situation and how you handled it, why do you want to work here, etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – asked for 5k more, they came back with 2K more.

Intern Interview

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northern Trust in May 2011.

Interview Details Applied via recruiting platform, got a call quickly. One interview, mostly basic questions. Mostly focussed on personal fit, so i met with the two people i would be working with all the time. Some questions regarding it and programming experiences, skills, and willingness to learn a new technology stack. Personally i found the atmosphere very nice and collegial and the only reason to decline the position i was offered was a meager wage, were i could get more at other companies in very similar positions, and also collect more experience abroad.

Interview Question – Explain RND and connection to BS.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – better offers

Private Client Service Representative Interview

Interviewed at Northern Trust

Interview Details Lengthy interview process. Expect up to 2 months or more. Very competitive with extensive interview questions. 3 part interview. HR phone recruiter, 3 panel interview, multiple questions, expect an hour or so, then a final with department head. Many behavioral questions, one or two critical thinking, describe yourself, how well do you handle being alone and team environment, how well do you handle difficult clients, co-workers, accountability, and resolution skills. They are expecting you to sell yourself, so do just that. They ask if you have an understanding of the job role, do some basic research and ask questions that you may have. They encourage it.

Interview Question – Mock Interview of an inbound call with a problem, and what you would do to resolve or handle it. Expect beginning to end.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Depending on experience you may be able to negotiate some. They offer shift differential, big plus.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northern Trust

Worked for Northern Trust? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northern Trust interview questions and advice. All 155 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Northern Trust employees and interview candidates.