Northern Trust

Relevance Date Difficulty

US Securities Transaction Analyst Interview

US Securities Transaction Analyst
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northern Trust in June 2014.

Interview Details Brief phone interview about salary expectations and schedule F2F interview. 2nd Interview with 2 team leaders. Standard interview, behavioral questions, nothing too difficult. Why you want to work for Northern Trust, why are you moving from your current job? Etc.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Fund Analyst Interview

Fund Analyst
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northern Trust in March 2013.

Interview Details This was an off-cycle hiring, they started a new team and needed somebody on board immediately. First phone interview involved standard questions: Salary expectations and work type expectations. Second interview involved speaking with two senior members of the team. Very behavioral-based. The company is very courteous and fit-oriented.

Interview Question – Nothing technical, mostly behavioral and very standard.   Answer Question

Senior Teller Interview

Senior Teller
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in December 2013.

Interview Details Lenghtly hiring process. Hard company to get into. Did not apply they pulled my resume from a online source. Took three weeks just for the call offer. Highly client oriented interview. Not much else from what I recall.

Negotiation Details – NO ROOM FOR NEGOTIATION

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Makati City (Philippines)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in April 2014.

Interview Details There would be 2 interviews, 2 exams, and a simple activity.
1. Initial Interview - common interview questions are asked. Like stuffs about yourself, things you know about the company and the position you're applying for so you'd better be ready with your research here.
2. Group Activity - I was asked to pic a topic and write an essay about it. Then we read it out loud one by one.
3. Aptitude and Excel Exams - I accomplished this in a day. The aptitude test is easy but tricky and is time pressured, while the excel exam just comprises of some basic commands you can do on a spreadsheet.
4. Final Interview - This one is a bit challenging because you'll be interviewed by managers or heads about the technical stuffs that you know. They asked me to define around 20 finance and accounting terms.

Interview Question – What are the types of derivatives.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all. It's like take it or leave it. But for fresh grads, their offer is tempting since the salary is really high compared to other companies that hire fresh graduates.

Alternative Investment Analyst Interview

Alternative Investment Analyst
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in December 2013.

Interview Details Was contacted by phone to set up an interview. The process was very easy, a 30 min sit down with a HR manager, and then about 45 min with managers of the team I was interviewing with. The interview with my team was laid back, they explained about the job and asked some basic questions. Nothing harder than "Explain a time when you?". Got feed back within a week and was hired. After the background check I started right away.

Interview Question – Nothing really, just be prepared as usual to sell yourself and they had a few behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not sure if they negotiate, I got an entry level position which doesn't leave you much room.

Associate Portfolio Manager Interview

Associate Portfolio Manager
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in May 2012.

Interview Details I had a very unlikely experience -- submitted application, got a call from HR 3 weeks later. HR phone call was not a formal interview, she asked me what I knew of the company and then scheduled actual interview. In person interview with manager and portfolio manager I was supporting for a couple of hours. Basic questions, went through resume and why I would be a good fit. Interviewed with department head next day via phone and was offered the position a few hours later.

Interview Question – No Difficult questions, all behavioral and was asked to go through resume. "Why Northern?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me the salary at the phone interview stage, once I was offered I negotiated a couple $K higher and they accepted.

Derivatives Analyst Interview

Derivatives Analyst

Interviewed at Northern Trust

Interview Details Number of rigorous interviews leading to the job. Lengthy review took months to complete through human resources and was inefficient. Company was thorough in background checks and reviews. Northern trust was difficult to work thru interviews.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness and what is your strongest attribute.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Northern Trust

Interview Details Most of the questions ended up not being about expertise or skills. Although they did want to make sure that I had done well in my financial courses and that I had skills to offer, they were mostly interested in how I myself would add to the office environment. This was just an internship position, but I do feel that this is similar for many entry-level jobs. Young, bright students can quickly learn and pick up how to do their job. But something that's extremely important and often overlooked is the attitude to do the worst jobs with a cheerful nature and being personable. That's clearly what they were looking for for entry-level at NT -- they have mandatory training sessions for salaried employees regardless of how well you did in school, so it's really about the attitude and how you present yourself.

Interview Question – Honestly, what was most unexpected was them asking me to fly (several states away) for the interview. They are very interested in having personal contact with candidates.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details GD , Aptitude test and manager round

Interview Question – Simple questions about Education background   View Answer

GOLD Program Interview

GOLD Program
Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details Mostly behavioral questions about past experiences.

Interview Question – Will ask about the different financial records such as balance sheet etc. Will ask for you to break down each.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Started looking to move out of state.

Worked for Northern Trust? Contribute to the Community!