Northwestern Mutual

Updated Sep 9, 2014

2.5

285 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2013.

Phone call, complete test, 2 in person interviews. Seems like they'll take anyone. The internship seems more like a scam in which they want to exploit interns for their contacts (aka family and friends).

Not worth the trouble

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

first stage for interview was behavioral questions. the hiring recruiter just wanted to make sure i had interpersonal skills. entire interview took 30 mins and was very straightforward. the first stage is just to set you up for the next interview where they give you an assignment to complete by next interview.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

A recruiter came to the college I was attending. The head of the insurance department gave my name to the recruiter. I interviewed mainly to get some interview experience. The job was a full commission job and they were going to rely on me to sell insurance to my friends and family to start "my business".

Interview Questions
    • Please provide a list of 100 people you would contact about selling insurance.   View Answer

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Your selling insurance. If you want the job your going to get it. I uploaded my resume online and got a call a few days later. Since I was eager for a job I agreed for an interview. Really my first interview was more like an Q&A section. After I shot off a few questions I had about the company and the industry the interview was over and I was asked to come back next week. Since I really didn't have anything lined up I agreed. Met with them the following week where they showed me how much money I could expect to make my first year (heads up to anyone actually thinking about working on straight commission only. The numbers they show you are EXTREMELY unrealistic). I knew the numbers they were showing me was a load of BS since I knew financial advisers are broke their first few years in the industry but i shrugged it off and straight asked for the job after the interview was over. We shook hands and he gave me some papers to sign and BOOM I was a financial representative in a blink of an eye.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you could be good at this job?   View Answer
    This is a straight commission only job. There is no negotiation on pay.

Financial Representative Interview

Typically 3 interviews and the second is usually a group interview with a few others to bounce questions and thoughts around and determine if it is a fit. Final interview is where you get the offer.

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

Reached out to them about a position and they ask you for a phone call to start off with and then proceed with a follow up interview in the office. It was pretty easy going through the process because they were mainly fit questions and they make you fill out a Project 100 and these surveys to see if you can do the job. I had to then go back in 2 other times to meet with other members in the office for essentially the same interview 3 times. Again all fit questions just to see if they like you.

Interview Questions
    • The Project 100 and market surveys were the hardest part because it made you get a feel for what type of market you would be able to deal with and if you could perform well enough.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I applied online and received a phone call the next day. They asked me to come in for an interview the next day. When I went in for the interview, they asked me what I am looking for in a career. I told them that I was not looking for any sort of sales position. I didn't like the idea of selling insurance to my friends. They told me to go ahead and take the homework assignment, which is making a list of people you know who you can sell insurance to. I did not feel comfortable doing that, so I said no.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied for an internship, had a phone interview then led up to a face to face interview in a small room. basic interview questions. what are you strength and weakness, why you, what are you highest achievements. then after asking the questions they would ask you if you know what you are in for and if you would be able to commit for the job. also asks for a submission of your class schedule too

Interview Questions
    • will you be able to fill out a list of 100 contacts and submit it by next week for review?   Answer Question
    you make what you put in. commission based and weekly stipends from development meetings

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in July 2014.

I got referred to the company from a different financial representative, and had a initial interview. Four more follow it. Got a second interview. We will see where it goes from here.

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Met a recruiter through a college career fair, and scheduled an initial interview with that recruiter. Initially thought I was interviewing for the Fin Rep position, and it may have been intentionally unclear, but I was actually interviewing for the Graduate Program. Basic questions were asked to assess a good "fit"in first interview, then I was contacted for a second "in-depth" interview and instructed to do a brief presentation. My interviewer did not show up, so I was interviewed by someone else. Following the in-depth interview I was given a quota of 10 market surveys and 15 referrals to complete before my final interview. The employees were generally quite friendly, and the corporate culture is relaxed and fun.

Interview Questions
    • How would your participation in our program benefit our team and Network Office?   View Answer
    • What was the most rewarding/challenging role in your previous work experience, and why?   Answer Question
    • What was your biggest take away from the market survey experience?   Answer Question

Small stipend that would barely cover transportation costs during internship, and no base salary even after going full-time. It was not the ideal market for my career goals.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!