Northwestern Mutual

Updated Jul 22, 2014

2.5

82 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albany, NY (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2014.

Initial communication came from HR after I had given a presentation to local executives. One of the execs was Northwestern Mutual partner and asked for my resume. I had an initial interview with basic questions on personality and lifestyle questions. After the interview was a short survey to see if you were really cut out for the sales position that the job really is. I wasn't and didn't know nearly enough people to sell insurance to. Because of my low score on the survey we mutually agreed to end the hiring process.

Interview Questions
  • Most questions were very similar and quite canned. What was a tough group/teamwork experience? how did you excel in the situation and how could you have done better...? so on and so forth   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wilmington, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, NC (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

Enjoyed luncheon with staff from Northwestern's Wilmington, NC office. Spoke with some great staff members including Managing Director, College Unit Director, and their Chief Recruiting Officer. After expressing interest in available positions, I left my contact information. Their recruiter promptly followed up, and scheduled an interview. I arrived and had a pleasant interview experience with a recruiter who asked appropriate questions. After that interview, another interview was scheduled with the College Unit Director. The entire process went well, and I would absolutely work for their office had I not experienced unfortunate family circumstances.

Interview Questions
    • As a non-financial major, "So why are you interested in this position?"   View Answer

After a death in my immediate family, I declined the offer in order to spend time at home, in a different city.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Long Island City, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

To many interviews, a lot of paper to tell you who they are and what they do, each interview gives you a closer look at how the succesful candidate has been able to be successful, basically reiterating the importance of having an established potential client base. so if you are not popular, don't have a bunch of friends and family, didn't grow up in or haven't lived in your community for many years, or simply if you're known around town as the one succesful person from a family of trailer trash, there is no need in taking the job because you can't help them grow.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Morristown, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morristown, NJ (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I met a recruiter through a college networking event. The whole process took about two weeks and consisted of two in-person rounds of interviews. Interview was very straight forward and consisted of very basic questions. I was also told to take a small little survey to assess my personality. It was not going to make / break my chances but it gave them an opportunity to see how I think.

Financial Service Representative Interview

great interview

none

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Applied on-line, received a call from the recruiter within 48 hours. Had 3 interviews; first with HR manager, then two with the hiring manager. Everything was going great until reading the fine print: Focus was to sell life insurance policies and not what I wanted.

Interview Questions
    • None. They want to know you first as a person first, which was refreshing. They asked you questions on how would you dealwith difficult people   Answer Question

Selling life insurance is not what I was looking for.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  King of Prussia, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Initially attended information session in KOP, PA. Offered 2nd interview. 2nd interview had to complete homework, give a presentation about how I would benefit NWM and why I was driven to NWM. Asked a few questions about my resume. Not much behavioral. Offered 3rd interview.

Interview Questions

Still have 3rd inteview coming.

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

They sell you on the position by making you think that you are being evaluated. If you can steam a mirror and can write down 250 names on a piece of paper they will "hire" you. They are offering you a contract. You are not interviewing to be an employee.

None. You won't be an employee.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2013.

Lenghty interview process with good results. Market surveys are good indicator of possible success in the industry. Results were mostly positive.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2010.

The interview process was pretty laid back. It was basic conversations about what your greatest strengths and weaknesses are. The people at the office seemed pretty fun too work with, and relaxed. The work seemed like it consisted mostly of meeting with clients and conducting cold calls to retrieve business. As a new financial rep, youll sell mostly insurance at the company.

Interview Questions

I wanted a salaried positon.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!